German dentists and wisdom teeth

108 posts in this topic

Morning All,

Several dentists have told me that I'm the proud owner of four wisdom teeth, and all four are hidden away below my gums. All English dentists have ignored them, but on my last visit to a dentist in Munich I was told I should plan to have them removed - 'you will heal up better while you're young' she said. I have the priviledge of private insurance, and we all know how German dentists view this as a cash cow, but this dentist has always done a good job and I'm pondering what to do.

Should I take her advice? The teeth cause no discomfort, but the dentist said they're crowding the other teeth together. Having them dug out seems like a gruesome operation, all because when I'm 90 they might cause trouble.

Any advice?

I've been chastised too for having two out and two in, some people look at me in horror, amazed that I've still got these odious lumps of entine in my mouth...

I don't know really for sure but if you've got no pain or discomfort, then why?

I've got four wisdom teeth and never bothered doing anything about them.

I would wait until you have problems before doing anything... Age and speed of healing aren't that connected, it's more about your general state of health... I would have though

I had all mine taken out when I was 17 -- they were straight but wouldn't have fit in my jaw when they appeared someday. hubby has a plastic retainer thing that he's supposed to wear every night for the rest of his life so that his wisdom teeth don't mess up his other teeth. His dentist said leave them in so that one day when you need fake teeth you can anchor them to the wisdom teeth, which I think is pretty stupid. Appears to be a matter of taste and trends in dentistry. Maybe Carm will weigh in.

When you say English Dentists, do you mean British or English speaking?

Wisdom teeth- lot of debate there- I personally like when they are removed- in most cases the patient cannot clean them properly, and they lead to periodontal problems on the tooth right before it (the second molar). In most cases, its better if they are below the gumline to have them removed- as they tend to try to break thru the gumline and put pressure on the second molars- depending on how they lay. If they are deep in the bone- then leave them, if they are causing no problems or if they will not lead to problems. Often they are laying very close to the second molar- making cleaning for you and us very difficult or they will have a periodontal pocket on the back side.

Not very often does the patient have enough room in their mouth for the wisdom teeth.

Often they have broken thru the gum somewhat, and then you have the problem that you cannot clean them, teeth have a normal eruption force, so the tooth tries to break into the mouth, if there is not the proper amount of room, the go up and down, collecting bacteria along the way- leading to either cavites or periodontal disease.

Without the xray I cannot say if you doc is trying to collect more money off you or not.

I will try to explain better when I am sober! :ph34r:

i had mine out at 15, best thing I did! :huh:

Hi Carm, thanks for your drunken efforts. The dentists who said ignore them were mainly English NHS dentists that I went to until I was about 15. This was 20 years ago (jesus!) and these 20 years have been something of a dental drought. Now I'm older and wiser I go a bit more often, and perhaps have some repair work to catch up on...

I've had two out when they started to grow out sideways.

The first time my normal dentist referred to me a VERY posh surgeon with a swish practice by Marienplatz - and he was a fucking butcher and his nursing staff evil cold hearted witches. It took a LONG time, was very unpleasant and I was off work for a week.

The second time my dentitst said I needed one out I said "PLEASE do not send me to the butcher at Marienplatz". He said he'd stopped referring patients there after a series of complaints so sent me to someone else:

Modest practice in a down at heel block at the wrong end of the Hauptbahnhof. Took 15 minutes, no pain and I was back at work the next day.

Had mine taken out 2 weeks ago by Dr. Winkelsberg. He was great! No pain and back to work same day...no pain from day of extraction till now. :D He was honest, told me my bottom 2 wisdom teeth need not be taken out, just the top two.

www.winkelsberg.de, located in Tal 48 Isartor

I was 14 when I was sent to surgery to have all my wisdom teeth removed before my braces were slapped on. (On top of the four eye teeth they pulled) anyway, that experience sucked - especially as I woke up in the middle of the surgery, but I survived.

Until a couple years ago when a German dentist noticed in an xray that I still have part of a wisdom tooth in my lower jaw (probably broke off when I woke up) and wanted to refer me to surgery for it. I never did. It is not infected or impacted, it is not growing or moving and seems to be pretty low down. His argument was that it might be a problem someday, but he didn't push it.

has anyone tried getiing braces in germany? as i want to get them

i did. but orthodontist was near stuttgart. cost me, at the time, around 2000 EUR. i opted for ceramic ones cause who wants to be 30 and called brace face? had a cross-bite. wore them for 9 months.

I have no expertise in this area, and can only comment on my personal experience, so...

Mine have been coming through for years now. One of them was more advanced than the others and would flare up every once in a while. One time it got pretty bad and my gum got infected and really swelled up. So I went to the dentist, and he said this would keep happening until I had it out.

I thought this was going to be a big deal, because I have heard other peoples horror stories. He said he would take it out right then, so I said go ahead. It was out in 30 seconds, I held this bit of cloth in my mouth for about 2 hours afterwards and ate dinner normally that night. The reason I think it was so easy was because it was a long way out. I have friends who had to go to hospital under general anesthetic to have them out with long recovery periods. In these cases it was because their teeth were still under the gums.

So it seem to me that getting them out is a lot easier when they have already pushed through the gums

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth until about 5 years ago. The two on top were through the gum and I had them pulled - I was under for that little op - no swelling, no pain, back at work the next day.

I was always told that if they aren't bothering me, then don't yank them.

The bottom two are in the bone, have crowded the bottom teeth a little but do not bother me at all. If I had to have them removed, it would be more invasive surgery than the first time around.

If you are young (under 25) then I can see the need to maybe get them out to stop the teeth from getting crowded but, it sounds like you are in your mid 30's and if they were going to crowd your teeth, they would have done so by now.

By the way, great oral surgeon, Dr. Stefan Roth, on Leopoldstrasse in Schwabing (right about the Starbucks!). He's a fantastic English speaker, very gentle and great looking to boot!

By the way, great oral surgeon, Dr. Stefan Roth, on Leopoldstrasse in Schwabing (right about the Starbucks!). He's a fantastic English speaker, very gentle and great looking to boot!

i was with dr. winkelsberg. he's not ugly, per se, but maybe i'll give dr. roth a try ;)

i still have three. one was taken out as it was growing funny.

my dentist says for the other ones no need as they are healthy and happy.

i think it depends on each person individually. there is no general rule.

Wow, I have to get my wisdom teeth out too... I was having a bit of a panick attack, is it really necessary and all that... I made an appointment with Winkelsberg but he was all like, oh well what do you think? and he was saying that he would like to take 2, any 2 really and then maybe take the other 2... AAAAAAAHHHH scary scary, indecision from dentists, especically since I know that I have to have 1 taken out since it is compacting and very ouchy. I almost called and cancelled (the appointment is now 10 days away), but I decided to check the website and see if anyone could offer some reassuring words about this dentist, maybe it is just the cavalier attitude, but I have had some really bad dentists before so yea... anyways, wisdom teeth, arg!

they should be done in pairs! Once you get one out, there is no use for the opposing Widsom tooth, so do both. Its much easier that way too.

I understand people have fears and bad experiences, but todays modern dentistry can be pain free! If you are really nervous still ask for a Valium.

Unless there is a pressing medical need (impaction, pain, improper directional growth) to remove them, don't. One major problem with removing them unnecessarily is a separation of the remaining teeth to fill the gap, something that happens whenever a tooth remains missing for a long period of time and the reason that bridges are so important when a tooth has been extracted or lost.

Would you blindly accept a doctor telling you to check into the hospital for major invasive preventative surgery to remove your appendix because you might develop appendicitis in the future?

woof.

Um yea, so you can see why I'm a bit nervous about somebody who is giving me mixed info, double arg.

Unless there is a pressing medical need (impaction, pain, improper directional growth) to remove them, don't. One major problem with removing them unnecessarily is a separation of the remaining teeth to fill the gap, something that happens whenever a tooth remains missing for a long period of time and the reason that bridges are so important when a tooth has been extracted or lost.

Would you blindly accept a doctor telling you to check into the hospital for major invasive preventative surgery to remove your appendix because you might develop appendicitis in the future?

woof.

sorry, you are wrong there! very rarely in an Adult life will the teeth shift backwards to fill in the gap caused by a wisdom tooth. If it did most people I know would still be wearing braces then.

If you loose a first molar and its not replaced, some tipping may occur, and that should be filled with an implant or a bridge, but Wisdom teeth are not need to be replaced.