How hot is it?

53 posts in this topic

On 24. Juli 2019 um 18:25:47, LukeSkywalker said:

Today, a new record since 1944 was set in the Netherlands: 39,3 C. It will not last another 75 years.

Well, it lasted one whole day. The new record is 40,7 C. Insane. 

13 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Pics or it didn't happen ^_^

Der Spiegel is reporting that a temperature of 42.6°C (108.7°F) was measured today in Emsland, Lower Saxony. It hasn't been confirmed yet, but that would be an all-time record for Germany.

That pic would have to go on the "what you can't unsee thread. :lol:

My car registered 105 today. Outside temp was 102F.  My sympathy goes out to anyone living in an attic apartment today , also known as a "penthouse" apartment.  I love how the Germans make the attic apartment seem exclusive and in some instances call it "penthouse". I've noticed there's an inordinate amount of "penthouse" apartments on the market this year.  Thankfully, a few years ago I declined an offer to take a  beautiful "penthouse apartment". Owner tried to convince me that  slate roof tiling keep the place cool in summer when I expressed a concern about it could get hot under the roof. 

My dilemma is should I open the windows or leave them closed with the rolladens done to keep the hot air out.  I'm going to have to live like a mole until this heatwave is over.  

10 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

That pic would have to go on the "what you can't unsee thread. :lol:

Nah, "I've just posted a silly photo." 👻

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Nah, "I've just posted a silly photo." 👻

Was it you on a giraffe wearing only a bolero sucking on  a popsicle?  :P

Oh, no now my computer is showing signs of heat stress. The fan on my IMAC has ramped up. Time to go read a book.:(

Good night everybody, stay cool.

If you want to see how hot it got officially, wetter.com has a Rückblick function. Apparently it got to 39,8°C today where I am. 

My router crashed for 30 minutes. I suspect it's due to the excessive heat. :(

13 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

My router crashed for 30 minutes. I suspect it's due to the excessive heat. :(

If you have a Fritz!Box with the "classic" design (like 7490) put it into an upright position so that the air ducts are at the top. That will improve the air flow.

On 11.6.2014, 14:45:33, Metall said:

And, as in every summer, we are told it's too expensive

This seems like typical 'penny-wise pound-foolish' thinking, common among managers, at least the ones I've come into contact with.  You could maybe try this:  Do the math, lay out the costs incurred by a loss in productivity (person-hours, energy costs...), then compare it to the costs of installing an AC system, and from that calculate an annual return on investment (ROI) that the company can then reasonably expect.  Put it in a nice spreadsheet or powerpoint, and explain it all in money terms, you might get a 'holy shit... that's how much this is costing us!' response.

4 hours ago, sneaker said:

If you have a Fritz!Box with the "classic" design (like 7490) put it into an upright position so that the air ducts are at the top. That will improve the air flow.

Thanks so much for this information.

2 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

This seems like typical 'penny-wise pound-foolish' thinking, common among managers, at least the ones I've come into contact with.  You could maybe try this:  Do the math, lay out the costs incurred by a loss in productivity (person-hours, energy costs...), then compare it to the costs of installing an AC system, and from that calculate an annual return on investment (ROI) that the company can then reasonably expect.  Put it in a nice spreadsheet or powerpoint, and explain it all in money terms, you might get a 'holy shit... that's how much this is costing us!' response.

Was reading this article last night when I couldn't sleep because of the heat about the lack of air conditioning in Europe.

NYT article about how scare air conditioning is in Europe. 

Europe accounts for just 6 percent of the global share of air-conditioners, compared with 23 percent for the United States and 35 percent for China, according to a 2018 report by the International Energy Agency. More than 90 percent of Japanese and American households have an air conditioning system; fewer than 10 percent of Europeans’ have one. In Germany, the figure is below 2 percent.

Another quote from the article-

Luce Tainturier, a 25-year-old urban planning consultant who abandoned her sweltering office building to work from home, said that hard as it may be to bear, the heat wave offered a lesson.

“It’s better not to have air-conditioning,” she said, “so we can feel the real effects of climate change.”

... because we don't have thermometers....

2 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

Even if you use a nice spreasheet that can calculate everything to the 30th decimal, it all depends on the number you use for "loss in productivity".

If I would be your boss I would take 0.001.

My conclusion: too expensive.

It's 37 C. So hot my brain has opened a long closed little door reminding me to look up the Beatles spoof band The Rutles.

Makes me laugh!

'Piggy in the Middle' :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKezWLZqRik

'Joe Public'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFZSN-BMlY

'Cheese and Onions'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMCpYXyEPN0

'Doubleback Alley'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4UX2i0xvA

Maybe when the day cools off I will forget The Rutles for another, oh, 35 years again. Meanwhile...

3 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

1 hour ago, Lavender Rain said:

Was reading this article last night when I couldn't sleep because of the heat about the lack of air conditioning in Europe.

NYT article about how scare air conditioning is in Europe. 

Large parts of North America actually routinely have temps in the mid-30s Celsius for weeks in the summer. I'm from Toronto, Canada's southernmost large city, and even there, a week or two with temps in the low to mid 30s is normal. Not even considering the humidity from the lake... Of course, these days, higher temps are more common. Large swathes of Japan and China are subtropical (as in the south-eastern US, btw -- while large parts of the southwest are literal desert).

Germany is a continental climate. In geologic timescales, it was only covered in tundra last week. If we're being realistic, most days of the year an AC would be over the top. I love me some AC when I can get it, but as I've said in another thread, I think AC is a good example of induced demand. If they were more common they would also be used more, even when it's 'only' 25C or cooler, etc, which yes, would lead to more power consumption. That said, I suspect AC will become more common in Germany in the decades to come. Time to invest in AC manufacturers?

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Even if you use a nice spreasheet that can calculate everything to the 30th decimal, it all depends on the number you use for "loss in productivity".

If I would be your boss I would take 0.001.

My conclusion: too expensive.

Sorry, this sort of response needs to get called on.  Disagree with me, that's totally okay.  Make counter-points, bring em on.  But by making a personal insult you discredit yourself and your argument.  Next time, keep it civil.

2 minutes ago, kapokanadensis said:

Sorry, this sort of response needs to get called on.  Disagree with me, that's totally okay.  Make counter-points, bring em on.  But by making a personal insult you discredit yourself and your argument.  Next time, keep it civil.

At the risk of being disrespectful, I don't think AnswerToLife42 was rude to you.

There are some really nasty exchanges on here, this wasn't one of them.

Regards.