Update: Beer price breaks €11 mark

58 posts in this topic

Now it's official, the beer price in some tents has passed the €10 mark. Strangely enough, it's the smaller tents that have increased their prices by up to €0.40 per what is kindly referred to as a liter.

Die Wirte werden heuer auf dem Oktoberfest beim Bier kräftig abkassieren. Der Preis für eine Maß wird zum ersten Mal die Zehn-Euro-Grenze überschreiten. Während die Preiserhöhungen in den großen Bierzelten mit maximal 25 Cent pro Liter als fast noch moderat erscheinen, sind es heuer vor allem die sogenannten kleinen Wiesnwirte, die teilweise sogar bis zu 40 Cent mehr für die Maß verlangen.

Im Vergleich zum Vorjahr steigt der Bierpreis um durchschnittlich 2,58 Prozent auf 9,91 Euro pro Liter. 2013 kostete die Wiesn-Maß noch zwischen 9,40 Euro und 9,85 Euro. Aber auch ohne Alkohol wird es in diesem Jahr teurer: Tafelwasser kostet mit 7,71 Euro im Schnitt 31 Cent mehr als im Vorjahr. Für Spezi werden 8,90 Euro fällig (Vorjahr 8,59 Euro), für Limonade 8,51 Euro (Vorjahr 8,19 Euro).

I was off by €0.10, my estimate was up to €10.20.

PSA: As soon as the tents announce their other prices (mainly 1/2 roasted chicken) I will begin invoicing my clients.

we can start a long list here: When I arrived (some 18 years ago) I could fly to Boston and back for DM400... buy a case of Augisteiner for DM12...

and so on and so on.

I was at the Paul Weller gig in Zircus Krone on Wednesday and they were charging €4,00 for a 0,4 Helles. That's €10 a liter, served in a plastic glass. :(

confirming what yourkeau posted, I spent the afternoon and evening there yesterday - the beer steins (Krug, not glass) are also fuller than at O'Fest, making the price difference even more. (and imo it was a lot nicer there, too)

€8 is expensive for Franconia though. Outside of Nürnberg you shouldn't have to pay any more than €2.50 for a regular beer, so €8 for a Maß is also quite a markup. In fact you pay less than that at many Volksfests in Oberbayern, like Dachau or Freising, although the beer is admittedly much better in Franconia.

23€ + 4€ per extra person on a Bayern Ticket. So if 5 of you came, that would be 8€ per head which would mean slightly under 4 Maß (assuming they were just as full in Munich, which they're not) to fully get your return on your money...but you could also come up early and have a look around Nuremberg, Fürth and/or Erlangen (all of which are worth seeing in their own right) before heading to the pretty location under trees and sloping down the hills.

Well that's the point; forget the maths, the Franconian beer festivals are much more attractive than the concrete desert of the ironically named Wiesn.

Sounds lovely. Maybe we'll jump on the bike and ride up there today - after Weisswurst, of course. Surely their bleifrei beer is good as well.

If I want cheap beer I can drink it in my garden for just 1 euro per liter. For a good night out I don't mind paying 11 euros a liter (10 plus tip)

€8 is expensive for Franconia though. Outside of Nürnberg you shouldn't have to pay any more than €2.50 for a regular beer, so €8 for a Maß is also quite a markup. In fact you pay less than that at many Volksfests in Oberbayern, like Dachau or Freising, although the beer is admittedly much better in Franconia.

At Pegnitzer Bratwurstgipfel beer was 2.50/0.5l. Lots of small Franconian breweries in one place.

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The article is about mayor Schmid who wants to freeze the beer prize to €10,70 until 2019. Let's see and wait if he succeeds.

And (citation from the article) he wants to increase the rent from 4% to 5% turnover. How will that work? Employment of cheap labour?

Well, it's not public information, but a Wiesn' Zelt is usually making a 7-digit amount as profit during 16 days of Oktoberfest, so I'm sure they can handle a possible rent increase. Prost!