Smokers in Germany

125 posts in this topic

I would say (without being a doctor) it's extremely unlikely to catch cancer from the odd smoke blown out by someone else as you walk in the street. It takes years of exposure to cigarette smoke and many other contributing factors to trigger cancer in an otherwise healthy person.

What if you lived on the ground floor, facing a regular street? Would you forbid people walk on "your" sidewalk?

What arunadasi said:

Second Hand smoke is not about getting cancer or any other disease. It's about being able to breathe clean air, not having your clothes and hair stinking of stale smoke, and simply not having to smell cigarette smoke at all.

What if you lived on the ground floor, facing a regular street? Would you forbid people walk on "your" sidewalk?

I'm not talking about "what ifs". I'm talking about a neighbour who smokes every 20 minutes, with the smell going straight into my apartment/my balcony. If I'm eating dinner on my balcony I don't want to breath in his smoke. You even clearly agree with me, based on this quote:

arunadasi: I completely agree that banning smoking in restaurants is a good thing. Even as a smoker, I cannot enjoy the food when I can hardly see it through the clouds of smoke around.

Folks, we're talking about smoke being blown out in open air, not about being locked in a 2x2 room with a chain smoker. Let's not push this overboard.

And again, I don't complain about it in the streets - then I can just move. I'm referring to my own private living space - why does a smoker's right to smoke take priority over my right to be on my balcony or in my apartment without smelling his smoke?

A few years ago, an Indian family (mentioning the nationality because of the cooking style, no other hidden meanings) was living in the apartment below mine. The smell of spices coming out of their kitchen window when they were cooking was enough to get a bird stoned. Should I be asking for spices to be banned or only used in controlled, closed-circuit environments so that others don't breathe what they deem "dirty air"?

In that case, yes I could understand you complaining about the smell. However, I'm guessing they didn't cook every half hour, did they?

I had never thought I would have to agree with mlovett, but here I have to. It´s at early childhood level where you have to start.

:lol: Funniest post I've read in a while. Haven't you mentioned that you are a [German] MD?? FFS...

And for those who thought that showing a blackened, emphysemic lung would traumatize 10 year old students: um, yeah, that's sort of the point.

Kids smoke to try to be 'cool', but the fact is, the younger you start, the more quickly you become addicted. So the education must start at a young age. We also show them "Mr. Gross Mouth", the effects of chewing tobacco.

And yes, we also educate them about alcohol, marijuana, and many other subjects. The basic point we make to them [for 4 of their formative years] is to stand up to peer pressure, and we teach them the skills to do so. Standing up to bullying is subject numero uno, [re]taught every year.

I can’t understand why smokers leave the comforts of their own living room to go and smoke on the balcony. Are they more worried about their net curtains and wallpaper turning yellow than the damage they are doing to their lungs? If the smell is so pleasant why don’t they want it in their own four walls?

It is pontless arguing with smokers as their brains are so nicotin damaged they don’t even register the warning on every cigarette packet or advertisement. Strangely enough nearly all the junkies and alcoholics you see always seem to have a cigarette in their hand so perhaps this was how their downfall began.

What Is Secondhand Smoke?

When you breathe in smoke that comes from the end of a lit cigarette, cigar, or pipe (sidestream smoke) or that is exhaled by a smoker (mainstream smoke), you're inhaling almost the same amount of chemicals as the smoker breathes in. Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 different chemical compounds, more than 50 of which are known to cause cancer. These are just a few of the chemicals that float into your lungs when you are exposed to secondhand smoke:

Hydrogen cyanide -- a highly poisonous gas used in chemical weapons and pest control

Benzene -- a component of gasoline

Formaldehyde -- a chemical used to embalm corpses

Carbon monoxide -- a poisonous gas found in car exhaust

A 2006 surgeon general's report confirmed that secondhand smoking (also called involuntary or passive smoking) can kill, and it concluded that there is no amount of exposure to secondhand smoke that is safe. The more secondhand smoke you breathe in, the more your health risks increase.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/effects-of-secondhand-smoke

Why is secondhand smoke a problem?

Secondhand smoke causes cancer

Secondhand smoke (SHS) is classified as a “known human carcinogen” (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC – a branch of the World Health Organization).

Tobacco smoke is a mixture of gases and particles. It contains more than 7,000 chemical compounds. More than 250 of these chemicals are known to be harmful, and at least 69 are known to cause cancer.

SHS has been linked to lung cancer. There is also some evidence suggesting it might be linked to lymphoma, leukemia, and brain tumors in children, and cancers of the larynx (voice box), pharynx (throat), nasal sinuses, brain, bladder, rectum, stomach, and breast in adults.

IARC reported in 2009 that parents who smoked before and during pregnancy were more likely to have a child with hepatoblastoma. This rare liver cancer is thought to start while the child is still in the uterus. Compared with non-smoking parents, the risk was about twice as high if only one parent smoked, but nearly 5 times higher when both parents smoked.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/secondhand-smoke

Second-hand smoking also causes cancer and kills thousands of people every year

Several studies have shown that breathing in other people’s smoke causes cancer in non-smokers. Second-hand smoke contains several cancer causing chemicals. Many of these chemicals are present in higher concentrations than in the smoke inhaled by the smoker themselves.

One study analysed studies from around the world found that non-smoking spouses of people who smoke at home have 27% higher risks of lung cancer. And a review of 22 studies found that people exposed to second-hand smoke in the workplace have 24% higher risks of lung cancer. Those who were exposed to the highest levels of second-hand smoke at work had twice the risks of lung cancer.

One study estimates that passive smoking may kill over 11,000 people every year in the UK from cancer, heart disease, strokes and other diseases.

Second-hand smoking also causes other health problems in non-smokers including asthma and heart disease. One study showed that even 30 minutes of exposure to second-hand smoke can reduce blood flow in a non-smoker’s heart.

Children are especially at risk from second-hand smoking.

Children are particularly at risk because they breathe faster than adults and have underdeveloped immune systems. A study by the Royal College of Physicians showed that about 17,000 children in the UK are admitted to hospital every year because of illnesses caused by second-hand smoke.

A large study of over 300,000 people found that children who were frequently exposed to cigarette smoke at home had a higher risks of lung cancer as adults. Another study found that children in households where both parents smoke have a 72% higher risk of respiratory diseases. And the EPIC study found that exposing children to second-hand smoke increases the risk of bladder cancer later on in life by a third.

Childhood exposure to second-hand smoke had also been linked to a wide range of other conditions including asthma, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (or cot death) 80, childhood meningitis and mental disabilities.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/howdoweknow/tobacco-smoking-and-cancer-the-evidence

Strangely enough nearly all the junkies and alcoholics you see always seem to have a cigarette in their hand so perhaps this was how their downfall began.

Yes it's well known that smoking leads to drug and alcohol abuse.

Same as pot leads to crack,cocaine,heroin etc etc.