Smokers in Germany

125 posts in this topic

"small" difference is that after I chewed my junk food I don't spit it at other people. The same applies to beer. I would tolerate small smoke emitted by cigarette itself if smokers would keep the smoke inside their lungs.

I agree, but the litter I see thrown out from car windows, especially at the weekends, annoys me more than the small amount of smoke I happen to come across in my daily life. I know people congregate in certain areas to smoke, so I do my best to avoid them, or just hold my breath until I get past, I honestly don't see it as a big problem, far worse things going on around us.

In my opinion, the worst part is that smokers are free to smoke on their balcony/from their window, letting all the smoke blow into neighbouring windows/balconies - because they supposedly have the right to do whatever they want within the confines of their own property. Well what about my right to be on my balcony without having to breathe in unhealthy smoke? As I type this, my neighbour has just lit his 5th cigarette in an hour and a half. Am I supposed to go inside very 20 minutes so that he can do what he wants? From the sound of his wheezy cough, that "bad news" from the doctor might be coming soon.

airwave, live and let live? More like die from cancer and let live.

I had a neighbor once who had one of those pin on buttons. It said,

"I see you smoke. Well I chew. If you won't blow your smoke on me, I won't spit on you."

cs

Love those smokers on the escalators coming up from the U-bahn. Really? You can't wait another 5 feet before lighting up? Thank you for the giant cloud of smoke that comes directly in my face. Did you know people and children are walking behind you while you flick your ashes off your cigarette so nonchalantly? I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your ashes on my clothing and just washed hair.

I was one of those smokers too and honestly, I never, ever saw what I was doing. I blew the smoke away from my kids faces and thought it was enough. It wasn't until I stopped that I realized how annoying and disgusting this was. Sure I had seen all the photos and read all the reports, but addiction is addiction and I just didn't really care. Those who say that it isn't an addiction, aren't suffering from this. That is like people telling alkies that they just need to stop. It doesn't work that way. When people have had enough, then they stop and not before.

Smoked for 35 years, tried giving up several times, even making it to a year twice. Finally had enough about 8 1/2 years ago and now I am smoke free. Was it difficult? Oh yeah, hardest thing I ever did, but I made it. Took over a year or more for that urge to go away, but that is gone now too. Husband smokes and I hate it.

As for the cigarette butts, I once threw mine on the sidewalk and my small 4 year old son, said Mommy, that is littering! I said, you are right. Never threw another one on the ground. Used to just field strip them and put them in my pocket or in the trash cans.

In my opinion, the worst part is that smokers are free to smoke on their balcony/from their window, letting all the smoke blow into neighbouring windows/balconies - because they supposedly have the right to do whatever they want within the confines of their own property. Well what about my right to be on my balcony without having to breathe in unhealthy smoke? As I type this, my neighbour has just lit his 5th cigarette in an hour and a half. Am I supposed to go inside very 20 minutes so that he can do what he wants? From the sound of his wheezy cough, that "bad news" from the doctor might be coming soon.

airwave, live and let live? More like die from cancer and let live.

I would say (without being a doctor) it's extremely unlikely to catch cancer from the odd smoke blown out by someone else as you walk in the street. It takes years of exposure to cigarette smoke and many other contributing factors to trigger cancer in an otherwise healthy person.

Smokers, on the other hand, are on their own. I am pretty much aware of the risks that I'm facing - don't think I'm not afraid of it. On the other hand, I've seen people dying from really rubbish causes, nothing to do with exposure to risk factors or not. In the end, it's a matter of luck. Or external _locus of control_, as it's called in group theory.

What if you lived on the ground floor, facing a regular street? Would you forbid people walk on "your" sidewalk?

"Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life."

"Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!?"

-Denis Leary, No Cure for Cancer

@Moondancer

Used to just field strip them and put them in my pocket or in the trash cans.

I know what "field strip" is. Not sure everyone else does.

How did you learn the term?

cs

"Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life."

"Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!?"

-Denis Leary, No Cure for Cancer

Just want to remind you and Denis Leary that those bad years come ten years sooner to smokers than to non-smokers.

I would say (without being a doctor) it's extremely unlikely to catch cancer from the odd smoke blown out by someone else as you walk in the street. It takes years of exposure to cigarette smoke and many other contributing factors to trigger cancer in an otherwise healthy person.

Second Hand smoke is not about getting cancer or any other disease. It's about being able to breathe clean air, not having your clothes and hair stinking of stale smoke, and simply not having to smell cigarette smoke at all.

I remember, back in the day when smoking was allowed everywhere, it used to be impossible for me to enter certain restaurants simply because they were so full of smoke -- because my body refused to breathe. Tt was an automatic reflex. I couldn't do it. I am not afraid of getting cancer from the occasional second hand smoke I might breathe in. I just don't see why I should be forced to breathe dirty air, just because someone else is exercizing his or her personal freedom to smoke. We don't drink dirty water; why should be have to breathe dirty air?

I would say (without being a doctor) it's extremely unlikely to catch cancer from the odd smoke blown out by someone else as you walk in the street.

Why should it just be concern about contracting cancer that makes non smokers object to having to breathe it in?

Why should it just be concern about contracting cancer that makes non smokers object to having to breathe it in?

Sorry but if you're referring to just the smell of it without any of the effects it can have on you then that's a pretty stupid argument.

Many times in a day people are subjected to smells that may abuse their senses and some of these smells some people don't mind and some people do.

Sometimes when I talk to someone and they've been drinking alcohol then it gets my gag reflex going,the flat under me burn incense and when they open the door to the balcony it to me is like a rancid stink.

The actual smell of smoke is no worse to many people than many other smells out there.

Folks, we're talking about smoke being blown out in open air, not about being locked in a 2x2 room with a chain smoker. Let's not push this overboard.

A few years ago, an Indian family (mentioning the nationality because of the cooking style, no other hidden meanings) was living in the apartment below mine. The smell of spices coming out of their kitchen window when they were cooking was enough to get a bird stoned. Should I be asking for spices to be banned or only used in controlled, closed-circuit environments so that others don't breathe what they deem "dirty air"?

arunadasi: I completely agree that banning smoking in restaurants is a good thing. Even as a smoker, I cannot enjoy the food when I can hardly see it through the clouds of smoke around. However, this is not an issue of the smokers but of the restaurant owners - much like the type of clients they target or the style and loudness of the music they play.

Folks, we're talking about smoke being blown out in open air, not about being locked in a 2x2 room with a chain smoker. Let's not push this overboard.

I guess you didn't pay any attention to the point I was trying to make in the below post:

In our town there is a long, pedestrianised street that runs right through the centre, it is purely a commercial area, with only a few residential streets leading off it. At some point, the local government must have realised that because people in the region have a lot of disposable income, it would make sense to line the entire length of the street with shops and chain stores. The thing is, the street is relatively narrow, with tall buildings lining it, and with only the occasional side streets leading off it, so walking along it without breathing in the second hand smoke of about 20 people simultaneously is impossible - on an average Saturday, you will never see a clear patch of pavement - but because this street is 'outside', smokers can stroll around polluting the air, ignoring (wilfully or otherwise) the fact that there are children, elderly people and others who shouldn't be breathing in cigarette smoke.

Breathing smokey air is not just about smell, and it's not just subjective; it's about air pollution.

If smokers in general realised this and were more respectful of the air space of others it wouldn't be a problem; it's just a matter of being aware where your smoke is blowing and making sure you are not contaminating anyone else's air. Quite simple, really.

Was the smell of spices coming out of the kitchen window carcinogenic?

Nope but apparently people are not just unhappy with the effects of smoking but the actual smell which certainly applies in his example.

The last few months, whenever I went to visit a relative in hospital, I had to walk past a huge number of terribly sick looking people smoking near the entrance of the hospital. These people were on drips and in wheelchairs.

It feels a bit like being in Russia sometimes, with the amount of wrecked people you see on the streets. In my former neighbourhood in Berlin, you'd often see guys, sometimes women, with a leg missing, pushing themselves around in wheelchairs, this, a doctor friend of mine later told me was most likely the result of 'smokers leg' -

"Smoker's leg is a trivial designation for the manifestation of a severe peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) or an endarteritis obliterans in the leg arteries."

This condition can result in necrosis of the skin (rotting skin) requiring large areas of tissue being removed, and in extreme cases requires the amputation of the affected leg.

The condition is probably exacerbated by lack of good overall health, but there is really no such thing as a 'healthy smoker' when he or she is on 20 or more a day.

In the hospital where I work we see a lot of this -- people, usually men, with rotting toes and feet that have to be amputated. I know of one patient who was in hospital for months; his leg was amputated bit by bit, one chunk at a time, because of the necrosis spreading upwards. They should have just cut the whole thing off at the beginning, but of course the patients usually insist on just a small amputation. Then the thing creeps upward. Eventually he died. He was a heavy smoker. And as marie-claire says, the smokers gather outside the front entrance with their drips, sitting in wheelchairs, puffing away.

I find it interesting that people refer to "enjoying" smoking. That seems such a misnomer. How many people smoke their first cigarette and think "wow! that's cool and refreshing" . Most likely you cough, feel nauseous and think the taste is revolting. Of course, once you force yourself to smoke the rest of the pack and become addicted, then what you enjoy is not the cigarette but the relief of sating your craving and temporarily soothing the effects of your addiction.