Smokers in Germany

125 posts in this topic

I am a passionate non-smoker. Can't stand the stench of cigarette smoke.

However.. I really don't think things are sooooo bad - not as bad as they used to be.

I think the reason why you see groups of smokers now is that they have been pushed out of buildings, so they gather together in groups in front of the buildings. Going through the Hauptbahnhof here in D'dorf is a bit horrible because you have to go through a row of smokers in front of the doors at either end. I have to hold my breath and walk through them.

But it is so nice to be able to have a meal or a drink without the risk of inhaling any cigarette smoke.

And it's great not to have to sit behind smokers in aeroplanes any more. And remember the cinemas of your youth? Smokers on one side, non-smokers on the other? True.. this does not just apply to Germany...

And I can also say that among my circle of friends, I only know one person who smokes. And she's from Jordan.

Even some of my neighbours have given up the noxious weed. And.. thanks to the new, tight-fitting doors to our flats, I don't smell the cigarette smell that used to waft out the flats of my smoking neighbours.

No.. I think things are getting better.

Even some of my neighbours have given up the noxious weed. And.. thanks to the new, tight-fitting doors to our flats, I don't smell the cigarette smell that used to waft out the flats of my smoking neighbours.

Lucky you, we can't have our bedroom window open when we're about to go to sleep because our downstairs neighbours like to stand out on their balcony, which is directly beneath us and puff away.

I don't want to dehumanise smokers, after all a lot of them want to give up, and it is hard, I've been there, but surely restricting their rights to smoke anywhere and everywhere is good not just for the passive non-smokers but for the smokers themselves.

I don't care if people want to smoke but I do find the ground/streets littered with butts unsightly. I was standing behind someone last week smoking an e-cigarette and I wouldn't have any objection to being in close proximity to that. It wasn't bad at all.

I find it amusing that the railway stations are all "smoke free". I was seeing my wife off at the station yesterday and more people - including the station master - were smoking, than not. What I scratch my head at is the number of times I've seen cigarette butts stubbed out on the ground at Tankstellen. I mean, I guess it's good they were put out, but I can't think of a good reason to be going into a fuel station with a lit cigarette in the first place!

I have become way too spoiled by the peculiar way in which Germans mind their own business which allows you much more personal freedom than in some other places.

I realise it might be hard for you, but have you thought about following the logical conclusion of your argument and asked what is a government for? Apart from collecting taxes and spending a portion of it on infrastructure, another part on education, and another part on defence and so on, it also has a responsibility to do everything in its power to protect its citizens from premature deaths, whether by regulating toxic substances allowed in food products, pharmaceuticals or coatings for consumer products. Smoking should fall under that remit.

This idea that people should be allowed to behave in ways which are self destructive, like smoking, or driving as fast as they want on parts of the Autobahn is nothing more than a hangover from the post war reaction against Nazism and the idea that self determination should allow these types of behaviours.

Plus, it is impossible to claim that those two actions which i mentioned only have an impact on those carrying them out.

I find this smoking in Germany just amazing. Cigarette machines everywhere on the streets. Cigarette butts all over the pavements. Aschenbecherstrasse.

Where are the government anti-smoking campaigns? Or the Krankenkassen anti-smoking campaigns? Have to say I havent seen any. Probably another government-business racket, German tobacco industry hand in glove with the government and political parties.

I have someone below me in my apartment building who smokes on his balcony - a pipe can you believe.

It's like going back 20 years or more compared to UK.

And they only introduced the relatively recent anti-smoking legislation relating to indoor public places because they were forced to by EU directive. Left to their own devices they would still all be puffing away indoors as well.

No your point is you do not like smokers

No it isn't.

and you are actively trying to witch hunt them for every thing they do.

No I'm not. Smokers are free to smoke a few yards away from me. They are not or should not be free to smoke in such a way as it prevents me or others from using public infrastructure like bus shelters. You didn't answer the question:

Do you see any problem whatsoever with a smoker smoking in a bus shelter on a rainy day? (assuming others are also waiting for a bus there)

I don't have a car (mainly because I don't need one not due to some environmental awareness thing) and I probably do a lot less damage to peoples health with my smoking than car drivers do but for some reason I don't hear you ranting on car drivers.

Do you drive?

Occasionally yes. Do you use electricity produced by burning fossil fuels? Just as irrelevant to this debate as your car thing. Pure straw-man stuff.

Why is it you can walk down almost any street puffing on a joint and not find yourself slammed against a wall by the five-oh? Why is drug culture in clubs so tolerated when vice could run a hundred dealers out of business every weekend just by walking in somewhere and asking the time of day (not to speak of executing an actual raid)?

Oh God, I wish I'd stuck to my original plan of ignoring this post in the (correct) assumption that it would be poorly thought out drivel of the worst ordure.

You are confusing the idea of drug decriminalisation which may or may not have merits, with being able to smoke yourself to an early grave - we're not talking about decriminalizing tobacco, obviously because it is not an illegal substance, we, or I at least, was talking about improving levels of education so that people don't take up smoking, which is anyway more lethal than the majority of illegal drugs out there.

I really hope the people that gave you all those upvotes re-read that post of yours and have a think about what a load of nonsensical garbage it actually is.

Lucky you, we can't have our bedroom window open when we're about to go to sleep because our downstairs neighbours like to stand out on their balcony, which is directly beneath us and puff away.

Very lucky in that I cannot sleep with a window open. Never. Not even with temperatures of 35 C outside (and I used to live in Spain for a brief while - so I know).

I'm a non-smoker, though my father smoked, my ex-husband smoked and both my grown-up children smoke. I'm tolerant, though I won't allow smoking in my home.

I agree with the butt critics. In the evenings when I take my dog for his last round in the park, I meet up with several of my neighbours, who also have dogs. They're also all smokers (6-8 people), and I get really annoyed when butt after butt gets thrown to the ground although there's a bin nearby with a top that can be used for stubbing out cigarettes. The ground around where they usually stand is strewn with cigarette butts and it looks really messy. Yet they always pick up their dogs poop. I've remarked a couple of times of how messy it looks and motioned towards the bin standing right next to them. But no-one is bothered. They simply stare at me as if I'm bonkers, yet these people complain about all the litter the teenagers leave behind in the park.

I don't get it. And I've recently stopped joining them. No matter where I stand when we're talking, I can't avoid being wafted by smoke.

My daughter has bought one of those tiny portable ashtrays to take with her on walks with the dog, because she's environment conscious.

Seems to me that Germany, like every country I have been to, has a mixture of responsible and irresponsible people, be they smokers, drivers, drinkers or dog owners. As a smoking, beer-drinking dog-owner, er, I mean as a dog-owning, smoky, beer-drinker, or, rather, I think I mean, as a responsible beer-drinking, dog owning smoker - I can't say I have noticed many more cigarette butts, beer bottles or dog poops on the street than you find in the UK (just an observation, I realise most streets in the UK can hardly be used as a stellar benchmark of cleanliness). What I have noticed though, is many more dog poops having been placed in poop-bags and then left on the street! That is beyond my comprehension!

Smoke butts on lonely beaches

Smoke butts on quiet mountain trails

Smoke butts by crystal clear Alpine lakes

Smoke butts picked up and placed in mouths by toddlers in playgrounds

Smoke butts left everywhere because it's OK, it's not littering

The butts thing is weird. Most smokers don't seem to regard butts as litter at all.

That seems to be the social consensus at the moment, but it may be shifting. Whether butts are considered as litter probably has something to do with context and quantity: i.e. emptying out your ashtray onto the street = litter, dropping an individual dog-end = usually not, but in parks, on playgrounds, beaches etc. I'd say it was a different matter (not that many people seem to care). That's just what I personally find unpleasant, though objectively, every cigarette butt is litter and an environmental problem.

Btw., Frankfurt seems to be thinking about banning smoking on playgrounds, which seems eminently sensible, though I'd be sad if it led to some kids not being taken to the playground or not being supervised properly because their parents had to go around the corner for a smoke.

To be fair I haven't seen butts in forests or in the Alps, although there are no trash bins at all. People become more environmentally conscious when they leave the city.

They are not or should not be free to smoke in such a way as it prevents me or others from using public infrastructure like bus shelters. You didn't answer the question:

Do you see any problem whatsoever with a smoker smoking in a bus shelter on a rainy day? (assuming others are also waiting for a bus there)

Enclosed bus shelter then yes I do not do it.However if you are talking about the normal bus shelters that we have here with the sheet of glass behind you and a 50 cm wide roof over your head then no because it is the same as being out in the open.

Occasionally yes. Do you use electricity produced by burning fossil fuels? Just as irrelevant to this debate as your car thing. Pure straw-man stuff.

Like I said I don't drive not for environmentalist reasons purely because I don't need a car.

Yes it would be a strawman argument if you had not brought up the point about the carcinogens you breath in from peoples smoke while you yourself are quite happy to let people breath in carcinogens from your car.

Yes I use electricty from fossil fuels and I don't care but the main point is I don't go railing around against other people who also use it.

What is worse 2nd hand smoke or the shit from an exhaust (I honestly don't know) but I'm sure people who don't do either of them don't appreciate people who do emit them.

Unbelievable entitlement culture among throwing butts smokers: they think that even suggesting (!) that throwing butts is not ok, makes them so angry that they react with swearwords. Unbelievable. But amusing. Keep posting.

No throwing butts or any sort of litter is disgusting and should be heavily fined.

My objection is on you post is this...

I can't understand why but smokers here somehow think they are exempt from obligation to use trash bin, so German streets are full of butts. That's very bad, so if anyone proposes to introduce Pfand for butts I will support that.

All smokers throw their butts on the floor according to you which is why I asked if you generalise much and also why I mentioned that all beer drinkers must throw their bottles on the floor because I see beer bottles on the ground,same as all crisp eaters throw their wrappers on the floor because I see crisp wrappers.

Now if you're complaining about smokers who throw their butts on the floor then I'm 100% behind you but not the fact according to you that all smokers drop their butts on the floor.

I actually have a ziploc bag in my pocket that when I'm out and about put my butts and all my litter in because as I mentioned earlier there is a major shortage of litter bins around here.

I see no difference between throwing a butt on the floor and someone throwing any sort of rubbish on the floor.It looks fucking disgusting and should be stopped.

Littering is one of the very few things that EVERYONE can do something about.There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to litter.

Of course I don't. Why should I? Smokers are egoistic and childish, completely without manners. There are exceptions, but you don't seem to be one judging from your aggressive posts.

Actually reading this it does appear that you generalise all the time.

No actually I take it back as you don't really appear to know what you are saying.

Are smokers egoistic and childish or is it just some because apparently there are according to you exceptions,however smokers are also egoistic and childish according to you.

Car drivers are not allowed e.g. to warm their engine and many other things, they can be fined for this.

Smokers are not allowed to smoke indoors etc and can be fined for this.

I presume they can also be fined for throwing butts on the floor which is probably acted upon as often as it is acted upon when someone warms their engine.

There are also a lot of kids among drivers, but normally they behave because of the rules.

I'm totally at a loss as to where you're coming from with this quote.

Where are the government anti-smoking campaigns?

They were on the to-do list, just behind "raise loads of tax from smokers". People can go on about how smokers actually cost money because of the healthcare they require, but that's probably nonsense. Smokers die nice and early. The expensive cunts are those people that do nordic walking until they are about 93. Cost us a bomb in pension payments they do. Smokers are gone nice and quick.

What I hate more than public smoking, is public eating, particularly on the train. I have to sit there, breathing in the stink of somebody else's McDonalds grease, or super frappe latte mocachocafucknut from Starbucks, watching people eat themselves to an early grave on high fat, high salt, over-processed crap. Not only that, but they are eating themselves to a fucking big grave looking at the size of some of the people I see on the train, cramming a butterbrezn into their mouths, crumbs and saliva dropping all over the fucking floor. Never seen somebody nosh a croissant on the train, and then clean up the crumbs.

At least smokers have the decency to develop cancer, loose loads of weight, and get all small and skinny. And people call them inconsiderate? Pff. You ask the fucking grave digger. He loves 'em, he does.