Wireless HDMI setup

16 posts in this topic

Hello good people,

I have used the search function here, tried Google and asked a similar question on another forum, and still I am none the wiser. I am acutely aware, however, that my TV is smarter than me (though apparently it is not even smart) and most of what I have read has gone straight over my head - so if the answer to my question does indeed exist already (on this forum), I can only apologise and assure you that I have spent time searching and that I am merely stupid and not lazy!

To me my question is simple, the answers I have received the opposite. On an evening I like to hook my laptop up to my TV via a 5m long HDMI cable. I watch movies, BBC iPlayer, sometimes stream football etc. etc. It works perfectly well for my needs, the only problem is the cable running across the middle of the floor has begun to annoy me. If possible, I would like to have the same connection without the cable. Is this at all possible?

When I have previously asked/searched I find answers that I do not understand. There is talk of smart tv's, casts made of chrome and fancy boxes that do this, that and the next thing. I understand very little. I am not well-versed in technology, though I know that my laptop is called a Sony and my TV a Samsung. To put things in perspective - I am still in awe of the wireless mouse. Is there similar technology for an HDMI connection, other than buying a kit that would give me 'the home cinema experience'? I do not want a home cinema experience. Call me old fashioned but I like to keep my home and my cinema separate. Something like two little bits of plastic, one for the laptop and one for the TV, that can transmit my laptop screen to the TV just like the cable does.

Any answers in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated - and I really do thank you for your time.

Pale Fire

Buy a Chromecast dongle (35 euros or so at Amazon). It plugs into a HDMI jack on your TV and you can stream any open Chrome tab from your laptop to the dongle. I don't know if iPlayer requires a specific application to run or is just streaming in a regular browser - if the latter, then you're good to go; if the former, the application needs to support Chromecast.

To answer your question, you only need one bit of plastic - the Chromecast dongle, assuming your laptop has a WiFi connection (haven't seen one in the last 10-15 years which didn't).

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ICIJIJQ/

They exist but AFAIK they are pretty unreliable. If you really want to keep the same setup (Notebook connected to TV directly) then you could put the notebook close to the TV and then buy a (wireless) bluetooth keyboard and mouse and control it from the distance. There are even keyboards with a "mouse" area integrated on it, like the Logitech K400.

Or just buy a Chromecast and learn how to use it.

The amount of data sent down an HDMI cable to create a picture is huge and cannot be beamed wirelessly.

Either:

a) get a chromecast, which you control remotely from your laptop.

B) get a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can leave the laptop nearer the TV and control the laptop remotely.

The amount of data sent down an HDMI cable to create a picture is huge and cannot be beamed wirelessly.

Wrong - wireless HDMI extenders do exist - I use this one and it works very well, but at 200€ it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut for what you need, and while there is no longer wire between LapTop and TV you would have to plug the transmitter into the mains power and then into your Laptop, and switch on both ends to get it to work every time.

A better (wireless) solution to a non-smart TV is a casting device such as Apple TV or Chromecast. At 35€ I prefer the latter, but not every streaming service supports it.

Thank you all for the replies! May I ask (what might be a stupid) question? I understand the idea of a wireless keyboard, certainly an option, but I am not sure I understand Chromecast. It seems (to me) that only certain things will work with it. Or - do you simply require Chrome as your browser (along with the dongle on the tv)? Can I, for example, keep using Firefox but then just use Chrome when I want to use the laptop with the TV? Is it only 'official' sites like Youtube that work or could I stream pretty much anything as I can with a cable?

As always, thanks for your time!

Edit: Thanks YorkshireLad (didn't see your reply in time!)

Pale Fire

Chromecast itself is pretty dumb and lifeless - it connects to an HDMI port on your TV and to your wireless network. With the Chromecast extension to the Chrome (only) browser you can transfer the contents of your Laptop screen to the Chromecast and therefore to your TV.

For "Chromecast enabled" applications such as Zattoo or Filmon (and some others), rather than transfer your entire screen contents to the TV you simply switch the incoming media (TV) network stream from the browser window to the Chromecast. From then on you can turn off the Laptop or do other things until the time comes to change channel or pause the stream.

As Chromecast and Chrome both come from Google you can understand the affinity to each other and the resistance to add support for competitor browsers. I don't use Chrome on a day-to-day basis, except for operating the Chromecast

Some tablet/phone applications (such as BBC iPlayer and Filmon on Android and IPad) also support Chromcast directly. You start the display on your mobile device and transfer it to the TV.

There are two ways to "cast", the direct casting is the best one but it is only supported by a few apps/sites (youtube, netflix, bbc, filmon, plex, etc). Here you use your mobile or PC to choose what to watch and then it is like saying "The Chromecast device will take over for here on, kthxbye". So your PC/mobile is then free and you can switch it off or do any other thing.

For non supported sites then you can use the "Cast this tab" from the Chrome browser, then everything you see on the PC screen will be replicated on the TV. The PC obviously can't be switched off and you can't really do anything else.

For 35 EUR there is not much to lose, you could get one and give it a try.

Chromecast arrived twenty minutes ago. Typing on Toytown whilst watching the BBC on the TV, all from the same laptop. Works a treat and everything I was looking for re: the original post. So - thank you ever so much all those who took the time to post! Your help really is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Pale Fire

Hi not sure if this is the right thread but here goes - does anyone have any experience of projectors/beamers that are integrated with Apple airplay. We watch most of our Programmes films etc  through iPads via an Apple TV to the TV .Occasionally we would like to watch on the big screen and our current projector is not HDMI comparable so won’t run off the iPads even with cable

On 2/20/2018, 7:54:48, billt said:

Hi not sure if this is the right thread but here goes - does anyone have any experience of projectors/beamers that are integrated with Apple airplay. We watch most of our Programmes films etc  through iPads via an Apple TV to the TV .Occasionally we would like to watch on the big screen and our current projector is not HDMI comparable so won’t run off the iPads even with cable

Does your projector have a DVI port or component ports (the red, yellow, white ones)? If so, get an HDMI-DVI or an HDMI-component adapter which will let you plug your Apple TV into it. You won’t get audio if you use DVI (you’ll need to plug the ATV into an external speaker of some sort with its optical audio port), but it should work with video, assuming the content is not “HDCP” (copy protected).

Something like this should work.

Hi thanks for the reply - have tried that route but most of the material is protected - hence the need to upgrade.

On 3/3/2018, 6:18:31, billt said:

Hi thanks for the reply - have tried that route but most of the material is protected - hence the need to upgrade.

You could always just download the SD version of the media you’re trying to play on the projector. Or go with an HDMI - Component Adapter instead, depending on what’s available on your projector. Like this.

HDCP is really a gigantic pain in the ass sometimes...

Thanks -looks reasonably inexpensive will give it a try with the Apple TV 

A quick update - bought the adapter as suggested by Ben21 and used it in between an Apple TV and the old projector - appears to work on all systems, will add some airplay speakers, and when  the bulb finally goes on the projector will buy an HDMI one and remove the adapter from the system.