Business e-mail salutations

27 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good business email salutation to a small group of people, some you already have met, and others you haven't?

"Dear Sirs" comes to mind, but seems a bit formal to the ones you've already met. The more informal ones I've thought of ("Dudes" or "Yo!") - seem too informal.

What are folk's perceptions and recommendations on a good salutation in this instance?

if its an email then I think 'Dear All' is fine, and is neither too formal nor too casual

We're told never to address email 'Dear' anyone as it's like writing a letter, and we're not. Though I do see a lot of 'Liebe Kollegen' over here.

'All' seems to be a good starter. Or what I've noticed more and more on email from London is no greeting, just diving straight in.

We're told never to address email 'Dear' anyone

break out from your corporate straightjacket and be an individual Lassie! ;)

I use Dear in e-mails rarely, but when addressing many people on a semi-formal basis I think Dear All can work ok

Yeah I'd use 'Dear all' or just a plain 'hi'. A great one is if you're sending it in the morning to just write 'Good morning!'

I use this in German a lot when I am not sure what level of politeness to use :)

i was just thinking about what are appropriate valedictions?

i got one today: Viele liebe Grüße from a person who I've only had e-mail exchange with. i thought that was way too personal, so when i responded i just wrote, as always "cheers". is that sufficient? a lot of Germans use "best regards"or "warm regards" when writing an English speaking colleague. even when i write in German i use "cheers" cause i figure if there are any grammatical errors they should know i am not a native speaker.

what do y'all use?

i should add, we're a "du" company, hence the informality.

Best regards, or warm regards is for many the closest to "mit freundlichen Gruessen", which is definantly a more formal approach than what is commonly used in the English speaking world, however for many germans, this is considered informal email speech. If you know the person, go ahead and use cheers, however, if you dont know the person, Id suggest erring on the side of caution and use best regards in the initial email.

Viele liebe Gruesse is probably more a reflection of the individual, rather than them wanting to get personal with you. Just take that as a sign that you can write "cheers" to them instead of best regards, and be a bit more informal.

Edit: Just saw your edit of the "du"... its would seem than, that liebe gruesse is an attempt at german informality, contrasted to mit freundlichen gruessen, which can be just as stale as the US/uk/aus "have a nice day," so... feel free to say cheers... Id recommend not using something along the lines of "best loving regards"...:P

We're told never to address email 'Dear' anyone as it's like writing a letter, and we're not. Though I do see a lot of 'Liebe Kollegen' over here.

'All' seems to be a good starter. Or what I've noticed more and more on email from London is no greeting, just diving straight in.

Email practice in the U.S. and England is different from here. The use of 'Dear' to start an email is almost required in all external emails where I work. Internal ones, not so much.

I much prefer just jumping right into the email without any salutation, seeing the email header as serving that purpose. While here, however, I write alot more Dears. I don't think the reasoning you were given makes any sense. Email has essentially replaced letters and should be taken just as seriously.

It might depend on the content of the mail ending "Viele lieben Grüße" or the situation in which it was written - I notice (as a translator who is often called when people have urgent jobs to be done NOWNOWNOW) that people I had previously been on "Sie" terms with become very pally and "duzen" me all over the place when there is any kind of stressful situation in the offing. As soon as I've pulled them out of the s*it, it's back to "Sie" :rolleyes: This caught me unawares the first few times it happened - I was still "duzing" them, and they were "siezing" me right back and making me feel like a right ignorant prat/uppity unmannerly foreigner.

So maybe the "Viele lieben Grüße" was inspired by relief or gratitude?!

If answering a professional email to a chick who you don't know and are not on a first name basis with, what is the currently accepted salutation? Mrs., Ms., or something else entirely?

"Hi guys, how's it hanging?"

- well, you could use it once, I guess!

OP: If your clearly writing to a group of people, some of whom you know and some you don't, I'd go with "Greetings" as the opener. It's somewhat formal but less lettery than "Dear" (though like others above I have never heard anyone say one shouldn't use "dear" to open an email. Surely it would depend on the contents, purpose, and addressee of the email. Why shouldn't an electronic business letter follow similar linguistic conventions to those of the dead-tree kind? If you'd leave a person a memo or post-it-note with no "dear", go ahead and send them an email with no "dear", but if I'm sending a business email to a company address to which there's no individual's name attached ("billing@mycompany" for example), I certainly begin it "Dear Sir or Madam". If I have their name but don't know them, I definitely "Dear Name" them. To those I would consider my peeps - whether work-related or private, I might would at least say "Hi, Name" or "Hey" before diving into whatever I wanted to say.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks. :)

I start my emails sometimes with "Greetings," and in my head I finish it off with "Earthlings" , replaces Dear and is not offensive nor too (in)formal...