Renovating an apartment for a handicapped person

7 posts in this topic

All, does anyone have any experience with having an apartment renovated to accomodate a person who is wheelchair-bound? If so, please let me know how it went and roughly how much it cost.

Thanks...

This might help you (financial aid for renovating for handicapped people):

http://www.baumarkt.de/nxs/7190///baumarkt/schablone1/Behindertengerecht-wohnen-Foerdermittel-bei-Neubau-und-Umbau

It depends what needs to be done. Some things to consider:

* Are the doors wide enough to accommodate the wheelchair? Wheelchairs vary in width considerably depending on the disability. Some people with cerebral palsy have wide chairs to keep the legs apart. Some people with paralyzed legs have narrower ones that keep the legs together. If you need to widen the doors, this is quite expensive.

* Are there stairs? Many apartments (even recent ones sadly) were designed with stairs that will not accommodate a ramp. I even heard of residents committees forbidding a wheelchair user from building one based on aesthetic reasons. And the residents won in court. Says a lot about this country.

* Do you want to lower the kitchen counters and cabinets?

* Does the bathroom need adjustments? Grab bars, wider shower with seat, lower sink, angled mirror?

Sorry I can't say how much any of these things costs, as it always depends on how much you need to do and contractor prices vary widely.

Hi rhody, thanks for the insight. A retired couple will be living in a ground floor apartment. I don't think that there is a need to lower the counters since the person who will be doing the cooking is not handicapped. There will have to be changes made to the bathroom. Doors won't have to be widened to accomodate the wheelchair.

The "turning circle" is important! Make sure there is room to turn the chair around in hallways and with furniture placement.