Moving to Amberg (or close by) - Looking for a job

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. There are a few similar threads but they are a bit out of date so thought it worth starting a new one.

I am potentially starting a job in Grafenwohr in a few months time and so looking to move to the area in or around Amberg. My girlfriend will be coming over with me and so she will be looking for a job. I wondered if any you wonderful people could help direct us on where she might find work?

Her background is Archaeology, Museums and Heritage (in Ireland & UK) and she has also worked in retail and customer service roles. At the moment her German (and mine) are of high school level but we aim to go on a course if we are moving over. I have heard that some work places value a native English speaker and so this may also be an advantage - is this true?

Any jobs would need to be commuting distance from Amberg (or similar) and so perhaps Nuremberg is our best bet? I also see from another thread that there have been Archaeological excavations in the rough area and so that might be an option.

We are open to all suggestions - within reason :) whether Archaeology related or something different and so please speak your mind.

Thanks very much in advance for all your help

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

I'm moving your post because neither Amberg nor Nürnberg are in South Bavaria, and you're more likely to get responses in the right area. Good luck in your search!

Techgirl

Her background is Archaeology, Museums and Heritage (in Ireland & UK) and she has also worked in retail and customer service roles.

There is already an oversupply of Germans with these skills and without connections she is unlikely to find anything in her field. I would strongly recommend that she start networking now (as well as start intensive German lessons).

Keep in mind that all residents of Germany are required to have German (or BaFin-approved foreign) health insurance. The is no NHS here and public health insurance for someone who is not working is approx. 150€/month.

With conversational German she should be able to find unskilled positions through one of the temp agencies (eg Zag, Manpower, Randstadt, Olympia, etc). Although they don't pay much, she'd also receive public health insurance if she earns over 450€/month.