Is hausratversicherung highly recommended?

17 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a private haftpflicht and was wondering if I still need a hausrat insurance. Is there some combi that you can offer or suggest some ways and means of upgrading the existing haftpflicht insurance. I am basically worried about the following:

1. Flooding due to washing machine breakdown and damage to property of neighbors. I live in the topmost floor in my building.

2 As such I have not many valuables and is mostly my computer, tv screen and the usual stuffs. I am more worried about damage to neighbors property.

3. Does hausrat protect against loss due to robbery or burglary?

4. Is damage to rental property for example scratching of wooden floor due to negligence also covered in any of haftpflicht and hausrat stuff.

Can anybody enlighten me on this. I shall be very grateful.

Cheers!!

Neel

1. Flooding due to washing machine breakdown and damage to property of neighbors. I live in the topmost floor in my building.

2 As such I have not many valuables and is mostly my computer, tv screen and the usual stuffs. I am more worried about damage to neighbors property.

damages to your neighbors property is covered by the haftpflichtversicherung. Damage to your property is covered by the Hausratversicherung.

3. Does hausrat protect against loss due to robbery or burglary?

usually yes

Hi all,

After reading the threads in the forum, I still have the question why as a tenant should have hausratsversicherung? 

I currently have private liability insurance and legal insurance. Is is then recommended to have hausratsversicherung in which scenarios? 

Would a fire or any other event be covered? Isnt the landlord supposed to have one?

i think there is the question, that nobody knows if all the landlords have one, but if the rental contract only refers to the duty/recommendation that a tenant should have private liability, that is already an indication that the landlord have one?

please note that I do not have anything of high value and the kitchen is owned by the landlord not me!

41 minutes ago, Criolo said:

Hi all,

After reading the threads in the forum, I still have the question why as a tenant should have hausratsversicherung? 

To get your belongings replaced in case of ...

I currently have private liability insurance and legal insurance. Is is then recommended to have hausratsversicherung in which scenarios? 

... damages done by fire, tap water, storm, hail, burglary, robbery and vandalism. And to cover additional costs (see below).

Would a fire or any other event be covered?

Yes.

Isnt the landlord supposed to have one?

No, the houses owner has to have a fire insurance for the house – that one does not cover the things in your household.

i think there is the question,

Nope. ;)

please note that I do not have anything of high value and the kitchen is owned by the landlord not me!

High value or not – could you afford to replace the stuff in your flat? Some question regarding  

- the (professional) disposal of e.g. your burned furniture?

- transport and/or storage of your belongings while your flat gets renovated after a fire? 

- Structural damage within your flat after a fire? etc.

Thanks. As just mentioned, I have a very cheap household content and in case of a fire or any disaster, It wouldnt be too dramatic (well costs would come for sure).

if I may, would a fire/water leak/ caused by my negligence (eg misuse of hoven) and the impacts in the house I live as tenant, would it be covered by private liability ou housecontent insurance?

7 hours ago, Criolo said:

if I may, would a fire/water leak/ caused by my negligence (eg misuse of hoven) and the impacts in the house I live as tenant, would it be covered by private liability ou housecontent insurance?

By your private liability insurance, provided you´re talking about damage to a third party.

I decided against having household insurance because in the event of a damage you´d have to prove the damage. E. g. by showing invoices for your goods (which I mostly don´t have) and you´d have to argue with the insurance company about the remaing value of used goods.

A "hausratversicherung" /content insurance is only "nice to have" whereas the 3rd party liability insurance (private Haftpflichtversicherung) is clearly a must have.

Some folks have quite valuable stuff in their homes, thus it makes a lot of sense to protect this against theft and/or destruction.  Others don't...in which case it is a simple weighing of costs vs benefits and thus a more or less simple decision tree...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 17.3.2017, 22:02:10, Criolo said:

It depends on your conditions. Some insurances cover gross negligence, some do not. If not, a rule of thumb is not to leave the house while the wash machine is working, otherwise it is automatically negligence.

Thanks. This is something I never thought, since I had both machines at the basement. Now I will move and have both machines at house. At least, for the washing machine, it makes sense to stay at home - while for the dryer, flexibility may take role.

But never thought, if you leave the house and a water leak in the washing machine is there, that  is pure negligence...is there any legal precedence in Germany to support such strong statement?

11 hours ago, Starshollow said:

A "hausratversicherung" /content insurance is only "nice to have" whereas the 3rd party liability insurance (private Haftpflichtversicherung) is clearly a must have.

Some folks have quite valuable stuff in their homes, thus it makes a lot of sense to protect this against theft and/or destruction.  Others don't...in which case it is a simple weighing of costs vs benefits and thus a more or less simple decision tree...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Basically, I agree with you, Starshollow. It´s always a problem dealing with young people with just a laptop and a couple of pairs of jeans to wash..whether it´s worth household insurance (bearing in mind the gloriously named Unterversicherungsverzichtsklausel ) (ie folks: you need to insure eg minimum 650 euros of insurance cover per square metre to remain fully insure in case of a total disaster (fire etc).

Once you get to family level and accumulated possessions and a few kids´ bikes and what not..it may be different then and usually is.

Some people normally like to sign up for such an insurance after the damage has been done, mind you:D...something has been stolen, fire has happened. Awakening of consciousness or whatever!!!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hmm.. I quoted a Hausratversicherung for someone a few months ago. " It can wait, John."

Ok!

Fast forward to today.. the potential client sent me a small film today about her building. Fire broke out above her place. Firemen all over the place. She can't wait to sign up now.

Shit happens.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

7 hours ago, john g. said:

Hmm.. I quoted a Hausratversicherung for someone a few months ago. " It can wait, John."

Ok!

Fast forward to today.. the potential client sent me a small film today about her building. Fire broke out above her place. Firemen all over the place. She can't wait to sign up now.

Shit happens.

Isn´t fire insurance complulsary anyway? At least in Bavaria it is, as far as I remember.

And the fire at the neighbour's apartment has caused damage to a few of the other apartments...and the young woman where the fire started has neither household nor personal liability insurance. 

7 hours ago, jeba said:

Isn´t fire insurance complulsary anyway? At least in Bavaria it is, as far as I remember.

the mandatory fire insurance (part of mandatory "Gebäudeversicherung") covers damage to the building and all equipment that is attached to it (but not furniture, or clothes, or electronics, ... inside it)

So, if the fire upstairs, in your neighbor's apartment, results in smoke and water damage to your furniture - and you don't have "Hausratversicherung" - you might end up paying for your own damage. Unless, maybe, you can claim gross neglect on somebody's part - and try to make them pay.

When I decide whether or not I want a certain kind of optional insurance, I compare the premium to the potential loss - i.e. my Hausratversicherung costs 100,- € per year, and my stuff is worth maybe 100.000, € - then I'll just get the insurance and relax.

An actual example just over a week ago. Client plugged something in at home and there was a short circuit. Huge fire damage inside the home.

Insured sum 65,000 Euros. The Sachverstaendiger from the insurance company came round five days later and agreed to pay 72,000 euros ( not sure why ). But no one is complaining. I haven't yet received a copy of the approval.

His household contents insurance costs around 150 euros a year.

So a good investment in his case as he didn't lose only a toothbrush.

It is like car insurance- we hope we never need to use it, but gives us security.

Whether one has few possessions, the cost if replacing clothes, laptops, documents, etc can add up.

If fire , flood comes from your place, then you may be responsible. 

Yes, Red. But your last example is a perfect case of possible intervention of private Haftpflicht..

And we really do have the issue of how to cover for flood damage as per recently in Germany.

Guys and gals, check your contracts re Elementarschaeden/ Acts of God and don't think ONLY of the price, important though it is.

Fires in Greece right now- total fire damage in many cases. Wonder how many are insured for fire damage. Not everyone bothers here, either..