Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

1,366 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, javahead11 said:

I never saw any paperwork about this as my husband just paid it. 

And did you ever ask your husband about that paperwork?

It's now over a year later, and I've seen that automatic payments are taken out at 102.5 monthly and I pay by manual entry the regular quarterly payments. 

What automatic payments? If you have given a direct debit authorization for the contributions, this is 17.50 per month and then no further quarterly payments are necessary. We don't know what's being paid and why, and since you don't know either, your husband should be able to clarify things. 

The total is now over 1800 euros that I've paid since Oct 2017.  I've been all over the internet trying to find advice about the fees that are incurred for non payment with no results. 

Then ask your husband about the paperwork. That's the first step, the Internet won't give you a clear picture of your finances. 

My husband said there were court fees...really...for this much? 

How are we supposed to know now what the costs are? I'm repeating myself, but: Why don't you ask your husband? Sorry, but I just don't get it. 

Also, Is it true that if I call the English number on the ZDF website that it will charge me .65 cents a minute to talk to someone and try to figure this out? 

The ZDF is not responsible here, you have to contact the contribution service: 

https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/kontakt/index_ger.html (see "Weitere Kontaktmöglichkeiten")

A call from a landline costs 20 cents and a call from a mobile network 60 cents - per call, not per minute!

But I doubt you'll be served in English there. Ask your husband for the documents, create a clear picture for yourself first and then please ask someone who speaks German to make the call for you, if necessary. 

And another obvious clue: Since you've been living in Germany since 2014, you should start learning German. Germany is not an English-speaking country. 

Actually it is a good point...Is it actually going to the GEZ as payee? An odd number given they already paid (albeit obviously just stumping up 3 years will not fix it now). Is it some sort of fine perhaps? (I know in my home nation that tv licence evasion is dealt with punitively, severity gets complained about compared to other offences).

The Schufa hit is obviously one likely to be taken from this choice.  Not so easy these days to be punk about one's credit rating if in anyway mainstream.  They get you somehow.

Back on the new law that frees second homes, I have finally received the repayment.     It came as a cheque, which I think is the first of those I have ever received in more than a decade in Germany :blink:.

Hi there,

I have received a letter from the Rundfunkbeitrag and I followed it up but I learnt they cannot find my reference number in their system anymore. In anycase I am currently registered at a new address, which I think could be the reason. Do I need to follow it up again or just forget about it? 

This thread is all about what happens if you don't pay. It's really up to you if you do or you don't.

Personally I pay, but if I didn't I would at least put the money aside in a savings account so that I had it available if/when they caught up with me.