Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

1,366 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Smaug said:

1. Turn your current account into a P-Konto, which comes with freezing restrictions. Basically, any balance under 1.073,88 euros is protected, because that amount is what's presumed that a person living modestly needs to pay for his monthly basic needs. So if you always have less than that in the account and you don't have more than that amount being deposited every month the account effectively cannot be frozen. 

FAQ about P-Konto: https://www.verbraucherzentrale.de/p-konto#fuerwenisteinpkontoeinunbedingtesmuss

It can:

1. cost more money than normal account;

2. lead to your credit cards being canceled by your bank (but only if this is specified in bank AGB)

3. be recorded by Schufa so that you cannot create multiple P-Kontos.

18 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

the GV I dealt with was actually really nice - she even *thanked* me for following up with her and paying promptly!

Good for you!! :D

I didn't pay my bailiff on the spot and had a shouting competition with the bailiff. I was kind of nice at the end though: I stopped him just in time from storming out of my flat through the broom closet! that would have ruined the effect of outraged authority he had been so far so good at projecting!

is a P-Konto really even necessary, provided you have enough in the bank to cover your needs AND the outstanding debt for the rf?

I thought they could only freeze the amount they intended to seize, and not block the whole account...oder?

1 minute ago, Smaug said:

Good for you!! :D

I didn't pay my bailiff on the spot and had a shouting competition with the bailiff. I was kind of nice at the end though: I stopped him just in time from storming out of my flat through the broom closet! that would have ruined the effect of outraged authority he had been so far so good at projecting!

you are way too kind - seriously, that is awesome that you saved him the embarrassment

and you still get to laugh about it

everybody wins!

3 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I thought they could only freeze the amount they intended to seize, and not block the whole account...oder?

My account is NOT P-Konto and they ONLY froze the amount that was owed. I could use the account normally. The frozen amount stays frozen for at least four weeks. They legally cannot take the money before the four weeks are passed. You can either let them help themselves to it after the four weeks or pay and ask them to remove the freeze.

Well, I've finally got a Vollstreckung. Like Smaug's. I guess as I'm in Frankfurt too, my Schufa rating might also be ok, but the Ger-lady doesn't want to risk it as we would like to buy property sometime in the next couple of years - I don't blame her. It looks like the resistance is dying? It was fun while it lasted, and I think there are fines tacked on, so we're out for MORE money than if we had originally paid. Aaaargh!

Smaug, did you go to Berlin for the protest? I would have come had I not had a two-year-old.

So, where is Editor Bob? What's the news with the constitutional court cases?

@kaffeemitmilch I am technically in Offenbach. Things are probably run a bit differently in Frankfurt. I'd be careful too if you are planning to buy a property soon. However, my credit rating hasn't been affected at all. Schufa knows nothing about the whole drama. In a similar situation in the States I've would have become a a credit pariah years ago.

Sadly I couldn't go to the demonstration in Berlin.

46 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

It looks like the resistance is dying?

I started watching Krimis originally to improve my Germany, but not I enjoy them, so I lost the moral right to refuse payment (even when I do not like the system and prefer either tax or subscription).

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

is a P-Konto really even necessary, provided you have enough in the bank to cover your needs AND the outstanding debt for the rf?

There are reports of the whole accounts being frozen, so if you want to resist until the end this is a recommended way.

So, where is Editor Bob? What's the news with the constitutional court cases?

That's long ago: at the moment all court cases lost, Klage to BVG dismissed on formal grounds.

15 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I started watching Krimis originally to improve my Germany, but not I enjoy them

improve my German, now I enjoy them. Damned typos!

Now that we have started to pay, I can also say that their website is fucking useless. Seriously, where is all this money going*? Because it aint on programming or their website it would seem.

* €8.1bn in 2015 if anyone is interested (Jahresbericht). 24 Million versandte Mahnmaßnahmen and 1.4 Million erstellte Vollstreckungsersuchen :lol:

On 15/03/2017, 23:54:49, Radgostar said:

On 16/03/2017, 01:31:42, Buerger said:
1 hour ago, theGman said:

Seriously, where is all this money going*? Because it aint on programming or their website it would seem.

Sorry if I'm in wrong section but can somebody tell me what the German equivalent to bbc iplayer and ITV hub..

Reason for asking as I programme VPN routers for all countries. 

I am based in Mallorca and there are huge German communities over here.

And im trying to find out about on demand tv in Germany. 

The routers are plug and play ready to go. 

Thanks 

Mike 

On 5/15/2017, 9:51:13, kaffeemitmilch said:

and I think there are fines tacked on, so we're out for MORE money than if we had originally paid. Aaaargh!

Which was clear from the start.  That was always going to be the expensive option, taken as a principled stand but none the less clearly with fines and/or interest added and costing more in the long run.

could anyone tell what German Tv apps are available on smart tvs, and which are the most popular

Also is there a dedicated streaming box for just German Tv,if so please send a link

Many thanks

Mike

Does anyone know where you can see the specific details of the rules? 

I signed a lease in an apartment, moved there but didn't do an Anmeldung (for various reasons) but paid my then flat mate my share of the 17.50. 

My old flat (where I was registered)  didn't pay and they're saying that's what I owe for despite me having a signed lease from a particular date at the other address. They're saying a rental contract isn't enough proof I moved - can I challenge this legally? Doesn't seem right to me. 

48 minutes ago, Melvo said:

My old flat (where I was registered)  didn't pay and they're saying that's what I owe for despite me having a signed lease from a particular date at the other address. They're saying a rental contract isn't enough proof I moved - can I challenge this legally? Doesn't seem right to me. 

I doubt you have a legal leg to stand on. They are within their right to demand proof of (de-)registation and not accept a mere lease contract. But IANAL.

3 hours ago, Melvo said:

Does anyone know where you can see the specific details of the rules? 

§2, §3: https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/e175/e4794/Rundfunkbeitragsstaatsvertrag.pdf

I signed a lease in an apartment, moved there but didn't do an Anmeldung (for various reasons)

Whatever the reasons were, since you are/were still registered in the 'old' flat you had to pay for that flat. 

They're saying a rental contract isn't enough proof I moved -

Your Anmeldung at the new address would be proof.

can I challenge this legally? 

IANAL but don't see a chance for you. And btw not registering is illegal and can be fined up to 1.000€.