English-language support for O2 dsl

11 posts in this topic

I apologize if my question is somewhat silly, but I feel at a loss about what to do, so any advice would be very welcome.

I've had an O2 dsl Internet contract for a few months, and everything had been working smoothly until yesterday night, when the wi-fi network disappered abruptly. When I looked at the router, only the 'power' indicator was blinking. All the trivial tricks like turning it off and on, resetting, trying to go to router's settings page gave no results.

So, today I decided to contact O2 customer support, and the fun began. I have called them twice and both times received "Kein Englisch!" when I asked them if they could connect me to somebody who could speak English. They also have a "chat" option on their contacts page, but from what Chrome has translated there seems to be no section for dsl problems. And, to be honest, after receiving such a rude treatment I even feel a bit afraid to try to have a conversation with them :( So, I think that atm I basically have two options - writing an e-mail or going to their office. I'd prefer thr first option, but the funny thing is there are no e-mail addresses on their website. Has anybody had a similar problem, or, more importantly, has anybody exchanged emails with them, and if yes, what address did you use? Also, maybe someone happens to know how it's possible to leave feedback about the level of their customer service? The way they communicate with customers is one of the worst I've ever met.

Thank you in advance!

Here's their DSL forum:

http://hilfe.o2online.de/t5/Router-Software-Internet/bd-p/dsl

You're supposed to use the chat to contact them, but you could also try sending a fax:

Postanschrift für O2 DSL-Tarife:

Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG

Überseering 33 a

22297 Hamburg

Fax:

01805 - 88 00 88

Sending a fax on the internet:

http://praxistipps.chip.de/online-kostenlos-faxe-senden-diese-anbieter-gibt-es_13517

Saying "kein Englisch" does not count as poor customer service, unfortunately.

Thank you! I've left a message on the forum, hopefully it'll help.

I wouldn' be looking for a way to leave feedback, but unfortunately this isn't the first time when I receive bad service from O2. I was badly surprised by their dismissive attitude when I was getting the Internet contract a few months ago(trying to make me get a 1,5 year contract when I didn't need it; technician not showing up on the specified day...), but then I thought it's just not worth making a fuss because I read it was a common problem with them. Now I think that maybe giving feedback will give some stimulus for improvement, however naive that is. After all, getting an Internt contract and support should be a simple thing, not a quest :/

I hardly think not speaking English, especially on a weekend when the will have a skeleton support, could be considered bad service.

For what it's worth, the flashing light indicates that your modem has not synchronised with the exchange, so either there is a cabling issue (have you unplugged, replugged or added anything in your phone or network?) or there is really a fault on the line which needs attention.

Don't you know someone who can speak German who can contact them for you?

Hi

I have had enough problems with them before, may I suggest a slightly different technique, if you are on twitter. Tweet to their twitter handle, they reply in english and are quite responsive.

https://twitter.com/o2de

I wanted to terminate my 02 mobile and DSL service. I went to an 02 shop. They said I had to put this request in writing and sign it. I did and the 02 shop faxed it to be processed. I asked the 02 shop staff if I had to return the router and they told me no.

I moved away from Germany.

I received no more mobile phone bills, but 02 continued to deduct money from my bank account for DSL after the requested termination date. I called the 02 customer support helpline and someone helped me in English. I was lucky. He confirmed my letter was received and that the mobile phone division had processed my termination request correctly, but that the DSL division had not. He said he would speak to the DSL division to correct this and that I should wait a few days to check my bank account to see if I was given a refund for the month I was charged after the termination date. I waited and did not receive a refund.

I again called 02 customer support by phone a few times, but was not lucky. None of the reps would speak a word of English with me. I then tried the online chat. Below is an excerpt of that conversation. The 02 representative told me she was doing me a favor my writing to me in English at all.

ME: please confirm yes or no if it is official 02 company policy to never provide customer support in english

ME: just answer yes or no

02 Representative: Youre right.

ME: thank you. i will post your response on other websites so that other people know that 02 will not help them in english. 02 is happy to discuss and sign a contract speaking english with me and take my money, but not to provide customer support in english.

In response to my last comment, she said it was illegal for me to speak about the chat we had elsewhere online.

She also said I had to return the router or 02 would take more money from my bank account.

Besides the lack of support in English (that many big companies in many countries do), this whole experience is frustrating because I asked 02 what I was supposed to do to terminate the mobile and DSL contracts. I did exactly that and I was still charged after the termination date for service, and received noticed I would be charged for not returning the router.

I don't know if other mobile operators in Germany provide customer support in languages other than Germany, but it is worth asking before signing a contract.

I found a trick to get o2 to speak to you in English, here is how you do it:

1 - Call up o2 customer support.

2 - Pretend to be a new potential customer, interested in signing up for a contract

3 - Ask if they speak English.

Voila! You just found someone who will either admit they speak English or will find you someone really fast who does speak English!

Just like model I worked in Germany in 2013, I went in to the store in Alexander Platz and had them cancel my accounts, I left my Deutch account open as I knew I might return in a year or so and left enough money in there to cover admin charges, I have just called them to cancel the account as I have found a job elsewhere and o2 have been taking 10 Euros a month since Feb 2013 as they have forgotten to cancel something! now I can't speak to anyone because they refuse to speak english when they were quite happy to when I took the contracts out and I'm about 200 Euros in the red which I have to settle before I can close the bank account!

I was expecting to get some money back from the bank once closed NOT owe them!

@fruk: you live in Germany but expect people to talk to you in English. Try learning German or move somewhere where they speak the language of your choice. ;)

I actually never write reviews but I feel this is worth it:

I had exactly the same thing as "mdoc": tried to go to an O2 shop to ask for instructions, got the wrong instructions "accidently"... in the end I ended up paying 5 months extra for my DSL and mobile contract. That's about 250 EUR.

They also charge you at different days during the month, and they don't write why they're deducting money from your account so you can't track what they're doing. On top of that you don't get what you're paying for DSL in your O2 overview when you log in with you mobile number, because it's a "different account" so you either have to investigate the sh*t out of your phone bills, or you become indifferent and just don't care.

When a company puts in so much effort to become as intransparent as possible, it's clear to me. It's bullshit, they know it, we know it, and no one does anything about because nothing "illegal" is happening.

Firstly...fuck u uncle nick...nice response...typical fuckhead mentality...his question didn't need such a dickhead response...my guess is you have been living in Germany too long

going through the same bullshit with O2 at the moment...their customer service is shit-and it's not just about the English problem...I was told by their customer service to email their customer service even though there isn't one. 

Trying to quit a contract because I have moved back to Australia and their gesture of goodwill in allowing me to quit my contract is charging me 3 months fees...wtf? I've been with their nazi service for 4 years now...even been told I couldn't get intl roaming because I was an ausslander...fuck O2