Relocating inquiry posts

14 posts in this topic

This is a reply to El Jeffo's reply post to me in "Back payments for social security/health insurance". I thought it would be better to respond here, so that the content of the original thread can remain intact. This discussion, since it relates specifically to TT rather than the topic it was moved from, is more accurately a 'forum' issue.

One would hope that after 5 years of membership, you would have noticed that threads on identical (or similar, if the similarity is deemed great enough) topics are merged, to keep all the information together in one place.

Yes I have noticed, and have no objection to it when the subject matter is actually identical or similar. But my inquiry had nothing to do with social security payments.

And so far, moving it to its new location hasn’t led to any responses to the specific questions I asked, which concerned ‘back payment penalties’ based on the use of specialized, but apparently acceptable (to BaFin) insurers, such as Mawista and Care Concept -- not with anything having to do with social security or even with back payment penalties for purchasing policies from standard international insurers.

Moreover, most of our active members use the "View new posts" feature to read the forum, so the newest post will always rise to the top of the page in that view, no matter how old the thread in question is.

But if the post is about a quite different subtopic than that in the general heading, the ‘new’ post is likely to be skipped over by some or many.

you're welcome to request a refund of your membership fee at any time

I appreciate the information that’s here. I would prefer a different prevailing atmosphere, one with more goodwill, but I’m not sure that idea would have much support here. However, if I thought it was not worthwhile to come here I wouldn’t come. But whatever you or others may have to say about it, it’s the attack dog tendencies here that have resulted, in my case, in a reputation score that’s unwarranted and which might very well also discourage persons who would normally answer posts from responding to mine. The administrators don’t seem to me to be at all proactive in discouraging these attacks, and they should be discouraged in any cases where a member’s posts are not clearly out of line. It’s too easy to misunderstand people and read into their posts what was never intended. No one could go through the content of my posts and reasonably make a case for a ‘poor’ reputation based on what’s in them.

A last point: I continuously see posters criticized for not already knowing the answers to questions they’ve asked simply because they haven’t found the answer. That just adds to the already-more-than-cranky-enough atmosphere. It’s understood that the site is run by volunteers, most presumably well-intentioned and overworked, and that there is not likely to be any organized compilation of information here that alerts readers to exactly where the issue they ask about is located, let alone whether the information they are getting from reading particular threads is even current or not. But it should also be understood by the regulars here that the other side of that coin is that people may as a result of that situation ask questions that the experts here know the answers to but that the posters, even if they’ve been members for a while, don’t. As I see it, the posters who commit these unwitting errors need not be run under the gauntlet for it.

That's one thing that you have to understand about any Q&A forum: You are not entitled to answers, no matter how a question is phrased or where it was posted. After all, it's better to get no response than a possibly incorrect one.

One tip, though: Complaining about what you consider an undeserved bad reputation is a surefire way of getting more red clicks. Members form their opinions by how other members present themselves, they can express them via the reputation buttons.

Just how much goodwill do you expect?? Are we all supposed to be all cheery and nice when someone asks a question for the 4858759th time??

There is a huge load of information here already, and yes, pretty much most of the questions have been answered. So do your homework properly first. And then ask the question.

I was going to reply here, but I just realised that I can use the same reply I made one of the last times you brought this up - although I can't guarantee it was the 4858759th time:

The problem isn't really the age (new, old, etc.) of a post. If its subject line is removed to merge it (which is what happens), the focus of the post is -- or at least is likely to be -- lost.

At that point, it becomes chance whether the particular issue raised by the now-merged post is even noticed -- more so if the focus of the thread it's been merged into is/was quite different.

FFS, get over yourself and get off that steed, it's not going anywhere even if you continue flogging it after it's dead and buried. No matter how many times you exhume it, btw.

What you may not have realized is that many of those who frequent TT use the "View new posts" function, which shows the threads that have recently been active (since your last login or look at new posts). Thus even if your post is merged with an existing thread, the recent activity will bring the thread up to the top of the list, and people will read and respond. Alternatively, many "watch" a thread and will be aware of recent activity through an e-mail update.

In case you hadn't noticed, a thread is like a discussion, it wends its way, may turn in new directions and address other questions - so does not *need* to have EXACTLY the title line you dreamed up to be a valid place to place your postings. And yes, your *unique* questions are exactly those that have been asked many times before, and answered many times before, or in your case are precisely those addressed in the thread they've been merged with.

That's one thing that you have to understand about any Q&A forum: You are not entitled to answers, no matter how a question is phrased or where it was posted. After all, it's better to get no response than a possibly incorrect one.

This has nothing to do with entitlement or expectation. I'm more than a little certain that there are specific posters here who could provide the information I've asked for in response to my post and that may not do that simply because they've decided that I'm the bad fellow my 'reputation' would seem to indicate and therefore don't 'deserve' their assistance.

Moving a post into a thread which is focused on issues unrelated to the post is also unlikely to help someone get the information they are seeking.

I haven't run across any other Q&A forum with such consistent eagerness to attack posters. If you dislike a post (e.g., because you think the poster should have found the answer elsewhere), and the post is not one that clearly invites aggression (e.g., a pointless flame), why not just move on to other posts instead of chiming in just to belittle the poster?

One tip, though: Complaining about what you consider an undeserved bad reputation is a surefire way of getting more red clicks. Members form their opinions by how other members present themselves, they can express them via the reputation buttons.

I admit to having some difficult understanding in what way objecting to a bad reputation based on posts such as mine (which in my view in no way warrant a 'bad' reputation) is further proof that the bad reputation is deserved.

Given how freely bad blood is dispensed here I instead think that people who so readily add their red clicks ought to be asked to justify them.

This has nothing to do with entitlement or expectation. I'm more than a little certain that there are specific posters here who could provide the information I've asked for in response to my post and that may not do that simply because they've decided that I'm the bad fellow my 'reputation' would seem to indicate and therefore don't 'deserve' their assistance.

PM them, possibly they are more approachable in private.

I admit to having some difficult understanding in what way objecting to a bad reputation based on posts such as mine (which in my view in no way warrant a 'bad' reputation) is further proof that the bad reputation is deserved.

I admit that your attitude is quite enlightening. Even without the location in your profile I would have assumed that you are from New York City, based solely on your contributions here, as I have encountered similar mind-sets in New Yorkers before.

Given how freely bad blood is dispensed here I instead think that people who so readily add their red clicks ought to be asked to justify them.

Everyone is entitled to form and express their opinion, you do not have the right to know their reasons.

Speaking of things that've already been covered:

Title edits, post moves, topic merges and splits

Whinges about TT moderation

Maybe this'll get merged with that once it dies down.

We've also got a couple threads like this for various cities:

Moving to Berlin and my situation/question is unique

Yes, of course it is. Please park it here.

The Where to buy page is one of my favorites: currently at 1980 products that people have asked about. My all-time favorite was Where to buy milk, which of course was posted in the Berlin section... on a Friday.

Funnily enough, it seems the forum policies were explained to you - directly and in detail - in this thread you started last year. Even if you're not going to bother searching for existing answers to your questions, you'd be doing us all a big favor if you'd review your own posts and threads before registering any further complaints.

If you've forgotten how, please refer to this handy guide that 2B_orNot2B crafted just for you:

TT is firmly under the control of a merciless and tough regime, but you should soon learn to fit in here... in 1, 2, 3...

post-89810-13666148323651.jpg

...4!

FOUR MORE YEARS!?!

FOUR MORE YEARS!??

FOUR MORE YEARS???

2B

What gave you the impression this was a Q&A forum? This has always been a social forum, with numerous and varied meetups at its core. Information leeches like you, who come along from time to time to ask a question but are nowhere to be seen when someone else needs help or advice, are merely tolerated. You are not in a strong position to be complaining about how the forum is run.

Q&A seems to go on here all the time. But I'm probably hallucinating.

‘Information leech,’ I like that. I think that coming here to get the useful information that’s available is quite alright. If I had any expertise to offer, I would, gladly.

But it’s easy to see who’s going to have the last word here. Forgive me for bowing out all ye who nurture on this kind of backbiting but I don’t come here for this.

And if I’m not mistaken it seems to be the case that if you can’t stand to read posts by SteveRay you can quickly click away. I promise I won’t be offended.

‘Information leech,’ I like that. I think that coming here to get the useful information that’s available is quite alright.

But you're not taking the information that is available, i.e. the information that has already been posted. You keep starting new threads in the expectation of personal responses, even though your questions have all been asked and answered before.

If I had any expertise to offer, I would, gladly.

You're not here to offer it even if you wanted to. You only log in when you have your own questions that you want answering.