How to get free Tv channels like ARD and ZDF

74 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, GoldenLizard said:

Worst case, I will plug in my Roku and use it as a 3rd IPTV at home, though the intention was to use the cable included in my rent 

If you have a PC around you could connect it to the TV with an HDMI cable, set up a freeware HTPC app. (e.g. Media Portal or Kodi) and view ARD, ZDF etc. live and catchup over the internet. Subscribe to a VPN or DNS service and get TV from around the world (e.g. US and British).

Can you use an amazon firestick?  You can get German Amazon Prime and Netflix, and get ARD and ZDF for free.

57 minutes ago, sluzup said:

Can you use an amazon firestick?  You can get German Amazon Prime and Netflix, and get ARD and ZDF for free.

Is it not the same concept as a Roku? Basically I have 2 smart TVs at home for Amazon Prime and Netflix. I also have 2 Rokus and a PS3, all of which can host apps. Does ARD and ZDF have apps that can be deployed on them?

The reason I went down this rabbit hole is that I just wanted to leverage the cable TV that is part of my apartment rental. I have been told that all apartments in our complex have cable as part of the rental cost including BBC and CNN. But I didnt want to spend a lot of money on a new TV for this.

We have a Google chrome dongle to serve the purpose you are describing.  We used that in the US too.  If I want to see something on the big screen then I can just do it from my iPad using the ARD app, BBC, Netflix, CNN, PBS, ...  BTW, ARD Mediathek is filled with tons of good programming in German and with German subtitles, and it’s helped me a lot with language learning.  

I was dismayed to learn that we pay 20€ a month for cable with others in the house.  I can see everything on the computer and pop it to the big screen if I want to.  Likewise I never had cable in the US either.  

27 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I was dismayed to learn that we pay 20€ a month for cable with others in the house.  I can see everything on the computer and pop it to the big screen if I want to.  Likewise I never had cable in the US either.  

Same here. In the US we lived on Internet TV like Sling. I do have a Chromecast as well and we use it for the Zaitoo app on which CNN is free. However, I did want to explore what TV channels we get from the wall. Who knows, a future World Cup for soccer may be shown one of those channels for which there is no app!

7 minutes ago, GoldenLizard said:

Or this, right?

No...  The one I linked to does not contain other ppeoples DNA... the remote is new.. the box is new and you can return it if it doesnt work as you hoped...   

Yes there is an app for ARD and one for ZDF.  We have cable TV but almost never watch it.  I have also been holding on to it in case there is something that I can't get otherwise, e.g. CNN, but I think we will cancel soon.  I originally kept it for German TV but with prime and ARD, I have more than enough German stuff.  World cup football is the one thing that we would miss if we cancelled, but my children are now old enough that I can go to the pub instead.  (Post Covid).  I also have DAZN and we get some football and rugby on that.  

7 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

does not contain other ppeoples DNA

You mean this literally or electronically? I thought most electronics can be factory reset. Or do you mean literally in Corona times?

i see a second hand remote the same way as i see a second hand pair of underpants! :huh:

7 hours ago, GoldenLizard said:

Thats really kind of you @SpiderPig. Had you been in Bayern in the whereabouts of Munich, I would have just driven over to a meeting point and taken up your offer. But I just don't feel like asking you to go through the trouble of posting something when I can do it from home via Amazon. Just not worth the risk in these Corona times.

I will keep all of you updated on how this works out. For sure, I am learning a bit here, though I cannot say I fully understood all the tech topics that folks were discussing on this thread.

So a friendly neighbour gave me his spare cable. Plugged it in, started auto tune, got nothing. So I guess I need a cable receiver after all. Thanks everyone for your help. 

There are loads of these receivers on ebay kleinanzeigen starting at 5€.  My guess is that many of the people who originally bought these to still watch cable on their old TV have replaced their TV's by now and don't need them anymore.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

There are loads of these receivers on ebay kleinanzeigen starting at 5€.  My guess is that many of the people who originally bought these to still watch cable on their old TV have replaced their TV's by now and don't need them anymore.

Indeed that was my guess as well. The question is what should be my search term when I search ebay K. I tried 'kabel receiver'; should I be more focused. e.g. 'kabel receiver DVB-2'

Here is an advertsement from my very neighbourhood. But I dont know if there are compatability issues. I did find out from our facility manager that the cable provider is Vodafone.

This ad is no longer available  The cable provider is Vodafone but some people might still refer to Kabel Deutschland.  KD was the main cable provider here but was bought by Vodafone about 5 yrs. ago.

I think you should look for digital kabel receiver or DVB-C.  Sure you can't know for certain if it'll work until you get home but I think that's part of the fun.  How about the lady who sold you the TV?  Maybe she has a kabel receiver to sell too?

3 hours ago, GoldenLizard said:

So a friendly neighbour gave me his spare cable. Plugged it in, started auto tune, got nothing. So I guess I need a cable receiver after all. Thanks everyone for your help. 

but @SpaceCowboy says you dont!!     Because your tv uses QAM...   :lol:

2 minutes ago, LeonG said:

This ad is no longer available  The cable provider is Vodafone but some people might still refer to Kabel Deutschland.  KD was the main cable provider here but was bought by Vodafone about 5 yrs. ago.

I think you should look for digital kabel receiver or DVB-C.  Sure you can't know for certain if it'll work until you get home but I think that's part of the fun.  How about the lady who sold you the TV?  Maybe she has a kabel receiver to sell too?

Yeah he took it off when I asked him. He wasnt aware it was still on after selling it. I agree thats part of the fun.

Already asked the lady who sold it; she used it only with satellite, not cable.

Here is another advertisement that caught my eye.

5 minutes ago, LeonG said:

The cable provider is Vodafone but some people might still refer to Kabel Deutschland

Aha, I did not know that. A person asked me if the cabel was KD and I replied, No its Vodafone :P