How to get free Tv channels like ARD and ZDF

74 posts in this topic

Hey all.

I would like some help with setting up the free channels here in Germany and have no idea where to get started. Apparently ARD and ZDF will show the World Cup games next month so this got me off my bum :)

I have a Samsung UE40F6500 TV with the inputs that can bee seen here:

http://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-f6500-ue40f6500-led-lcd-television-review.9680

Against the wall of the aprtment I have the attached (picture) connection.

Is there anything else I need?

Do I need a receiver of some sorts? Looks like my TV has one built in if I'm not mistaken. Will it be able to do HD though?

Any help as always appreciated.

post-115506-13995777611771.jpg

post-115506-13995778770336_thumb.jpg

Where in NWR are you?

In the boonies or in one of the major towns/cities?

If you are in one of the cities, then get a DVB-T stab antenna and do a scan on the digital "Air" channel search

Hi! Thanks for your quick response!

Not quite the "boonies" a smaller city near Duisburg called Rheinberg. I dont have one of those unfortunately, but are you saying I dont need a receiver? Or a cable from that box against the wall to the TV necessarily?

Also is that connection against the wall DVB-T (Terrestrisch), DVB-C (Kabel)or DVB-S2 (Satellit)

The socket could have any of the services on it... but it will be written in your rental contract ( assuming its an apartment)

If its a freestanding house, it could also be anything... but probably not in the contract..

When you are at Media Markt getting your antenna.. get a cable too!! ( about 5euro) that way you cant go wrong!

Just checked the rental contract and it doe not specify what type it has unfortunately.

The TV supports all three so thats ok with a cable then right?

Get the 2 of them...

Try the cable and if the service has been disconnected, then try the antenna...

if the cable works... then take the antenna back and get your money back..

It's quite probable that all you need is an indoor antenna like this one.

You might also want to hook up your TV to the TV socket on the wall and see what comes out of it. The building might have cable service, or an outdoor antenna.

Get the 2 of them...

Try the cable and if the service has been disconnected, then try the antenna...

if the cable works... then take the antenna back and get your money back..

It's quite probable that all you need is an indoor antenna like this one.

You might also want to hook up your TV to the TV socket on the wall and see what comes out of it. The building might have cable service, or an outdoor antenna.

It seems like the building has an outdoor antenna or something.

Popped by T€di today on my way home and picked up a coaxial cable (€3). Plugged this into the wall socket, did a quick scan on the TV and ended up with about 30 channels including ZDF and what looks like ARD. So all sorted for the World Cup now.

Thanks for the help!

... picked up a coaxial cable (€3). Plugged this into the wall socket, did a quick scan on the TV and ended up with about 30 channels including ZDF and what looks like ARD. So all sorted for the World Cup now ...

You must be the only TT member happy with ARD, ZDF & Co., so I can only assume you've never watched 'em before.

You must be the only TT member happy with ARD, ZDF & Co., so I can only assume you've never watched 'em before.

:) True.

Only reason I want it is for the World Cup though. Wont be using it otherwise.

Dunno why the quotation in my Post #10 is linked to franklan yet correctly contains the intended words from derick - very odd. Probably some weird clipboard error or brain fade at my end. Anyway, apologies to both.

Hi Derick,

Only reason I want it is for the World Cup though. Wont be using it otherwise.

I remember the situation in the '80s when I lived closed to Rheindahlen/MG military base. Brits stationed there would watch football by switching on the German telly with the sound muted, and switch on BFBS radio for the audio.

I do not know if BFBS still does that nowadays, but if you live in Rheinberg, you should be able to receive BFBS radio on FM 105.1 MHz and give that a try.

Cheers

Franklan

I see this is a very old post but decided to resurrect it.

I moved from the USA to Munich in Oct 2020 and then found that my USA TVs dont 'catch' the signals. It was not a great problem as I barely watch cable, rather we use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

Since then I have been on the lookout for a second hand European TV. That day was today and I got one for 10€.

On the wall I see this port.

wall.jpg.d4e2e7ea0bb4e6fbf729b69b0758f5b

And on my TV I see this:

tv.jpg.3cb4dacb6990de66f42fbc49b8dbcee0.

My question is what connector cable should I buy? Is it this:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B00SWYTX4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Before you buy any cable... what make and model is the TV?

And what does it say in the rental contract about TV connections?  It could be that the property only has Satellite connection, so you will need a satellite receiver too!

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Before you buy any cable... what make and model is the TV?

And what does it say in the rental contract about TV connections?  It could be that the property only has Satellite connection, so you will need a satellite receiver too!

The make is a Toshiba 32AV500P, quite old 32 inch LCD non smart TV.

The facility manager of the apartment told me that I just need to plug into the wall and will get some channels by default, even some English ones, and that they are included in the apartment Utilities cost. Not sure if the screenshot below is relevant.

5feb7d3a70ee4_ScreenShot2020-12-29at19.5

The TV has an analogue tuner, so you will need a cable tuner too....

try not to throw too much good money after bad...   

33 minutes ago, GoldenLizard said:

The facility manager of the apartment told me that I just need to plug into the wall and will get some channels by default, even some English ones, and that they are included in the apartment Utilities cost. Not sure if the screenshot below is relevant.

5feb7d3a70ee4_ScreenShot2020-12-29at19.5

Sounds similar to what my building offers (Vodafone Kabel Deutschland) for no extra cost.  The English channels are BBC News and CNN.

Your TV is 13 years old.  Ancient, but no so ancient that it doesn‘t have digital TV capability.  You should be able to just plug in using the cable you found on amazon, and get all of the unscrambled channels - no cable box necessary. 

24 minutes ago, GoldenLizard said:

It used to be that you could plug any old TV into the wall socket and get a signal but in the last couple of years they've been changing to digital meaning that it'll no longer work for some TV's.  The cable is not expensive so you can try it.  If it doesn't work, you need a cable receiver as a go between.  

11 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Sounds similar to what my building offers (Vodafone Kabel Deutschland) for no extra cost.  The English channels are BBC News and CNN.

Your TV is 13 years old.  Ancient, but no so ancient that it doesn‘t have digital TV capability.  You should be able to just plug in using the cable you found on amazon, and get all of the unscrambled channels - no cable box necessary. 

How wrong you are!!

https://www.cnet.de/41206771/32-zoll-hd-ready-fernseher-toshiba-32av500p-fuer-rund-355-euro/