Registration of residence in Munich (Anmeldung)

149 posts in this topic

Is it best just to head to the Meldestelle nearest my house, or is one better than the other?

I'm looking at various example forms online http://www.muenchen.de/ and they seem to have english language versions there - how helpful are these offices with people who are trying but can't get very far in German yet?

Any advice, recommendations greatfully received

Ta

Poots

Hallo Pootle,

You can register your address (when you have one)at any Meldestelle you like, but you have to go to the dreaded Poccisstrasse (the Kreisverwaltungsreferat) to get your mitts on the stupid piece of green cardboard which acts as your Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit) assuming of course you have a EU passport. And you need this before they'll give you your Lohnsteuerkarte (tax form that you need for work).

To register you will need originals AND copies (they told me they weren't allowed to make copies themselves which meant I had to ring work and get my boss to fax stuff through to them) of every single piece of documenation you have ever possessed. Including your birth cert., passport, contract from work, driving license etc. plus a couple of passport-sized photos.

As for whether they're any good handling people who don't speak German. Someone else will have to help you out there, I don't know. But they aren't all that good at handling people who do speak fluent German!

Erk -

All the stuff I've read suggests I go and register my address first...

Ok, now I'm way confused. I'm an EU citizen 8)

I to register my address - at the meldestelle. Got the paper work, doesn't say what else to take, but I'l dig out birth certificate, driving license, contract of employment, passport photo's etc.

I thought this was the horrible piece of green card?

Yes, I've heard the horror stories about registering and going to Poccistrasse. Luckily for me I had a relocation agency to do it all for me and I never saw any of it <duck>.

Pootle,

Definately register your address first - if you don't you won't get anywhere fast! But you can do that at Poxy street as well as everything else. All you'll get as proof of address is a useless flimsy bit of paper, but you'll need that before they'll give you your permit (green piece of card).

If my memory serves me correctly (its almost five years ago, I'm going to have to go through all this again cos i'm up for renewal shortly) you register your address on one floor and attempt to get a permit on another.

If your work can spare a native to hold your hand it will make your life a lot easier.

You might have already gathered they only open mornings - except Tuesdays.

Recommend you are there when the doors open and bring a book, 'cos its not exactly a speedy process, you'll need to find the door that goes with the first letter of your surname, and take a number, then hover until your number comes up. It'll take at least one morning, if not two.

Thanks for all the help with this...

I went and did the first part of the registration this morning. The munich office site has a copy of the registration form in english which is really helpful - altough you still need to understand some of the stuff, so translating the german is a good idea.

I got to the offices at 7:45 and was back out of the door by 8:30am. I was number 4 in the queue 8)

Hey ho, next health insurance, and auslander stuff

Ta for all the help guys

Poots

I forgot to Abmeldung before leaving Germany (City Mannheim) years back. Now I am in Germany again and have done Anmeldung in Munich.

Does absence of the Abmeldung creates any problem?

What is the best way to deal with this situation?

Thanks

:?:

If you've done your Anmeldung in Munich and they haven't shouted at you yet - you're probably safe. However if you were paying tax in Mannheim - the tax bods might catch up with you sometime in the future - they're rather zealous if they think you might owe them something. I assume you can prove you were living elsewhere?

I did my degree placement in Munich, left finished my degree and came back.. and I was viewed with a little suspicion cos I had been registered here before, but it only lasted five minutes because I had a plausible explanation.

And when I went to get my Aufenthaltserläubnis renewed a couple of months ago I got a funny look cos the Beamte wasn't sure which Aufenthaltserläubnis I was trying to renew. But again I was able explain the situation.

:( I just went to register this morning at the AVK or something like that... Dear god if any of you are going to do that or have been you can understand my frustration and total dismay to the system. They send you from one place to another and make you wait for replies such as – oh you need to fill in this form first and bye the way the information desk should of advised you of that

Brining along someone who is fluent in German or is German doesn’t help
I disagree. Having someone who can speak the language is a huge benefit when dealing with the KVR. Granted most of the people there speak enough English anyway, but it's always better with someone fluent. Perhaps the person who you went with just wasn't very patient.

If you are going for the first time, be there as early as possible. You should plan for being there about 4 hours. This is in case things get really complicated. In many cases I know of people who have been in and out in half an hour. Also, be sure of the opening hours before going there. I think there's one day a week, possibly Wednesday, where the office for foreigners is not open.

p.s. i got registered

Glad you got it sorted out in the end. Welcome.

no i agree going with someone does help however you'd thinkit would stop the running around fiasco. We waited for a full 2 hours then when eventually going in they tell us about the form and phots wich could of been sorted in those hours spent scratching my B...'s

;) dont you think?

forgot to add i went with someone who employs people and knows the system very well both here and other countries. So he wasnt a novice at that!

Maybe if you had done some research online before going down, you would have found out you needed the photos and other paperwork :rolleyes:

Was in and out in 20 minutes both visits :)

oh and monday is the worst day to go too

Poots

oh please we called and not to mention last time my friend did this they were told to fill out 5 pages of something that wasnt even supposed to be filled out - They work in a box... and only do one thing... but not very well...

Robbie and others,

You will find some very useful information HERE on the munich.de website.

Forewarned is forearmed.

I'm off to the Zulassungstelle tomorrow for the continuation of an epic "registering my car" battle. Normally it'd be a quick job but initially they had not updated my details with my new address and so couldn't register the vehicle, then the KVR computers were down for a day so they couldn't change the address. Then they used the wrong vehicle weight so the Finanzamt tried to charge me about €500 road tax to much. So now I gotta go back and get them to sort it all out. Should be a fun morning. :)

oh god i feel so sorry

bring an eski and biscuits. a good book and someone fun to laugh with..im sure they thought i was on drugs this morning as i giggled half the morning away with a breathing attack ofcourse and catapulting myself into a tap dance infront of a group of wannabe workers...oh yes that provided entertainment for the staff...

what i found funny was inthe carpark the ticket machine had a KOZEN ATTACK... it spewed all the tickets out in one go... there was this massive pile ont he floor ...heh eheeeee

Poots you were really in and out in 20 mintues ? wow.. find that hard to believe.

For my renew it took me 1 hour. 5 minutes to fill out the forms, then 55 minutes waiting and moving from one department to another. And I did prepare everything before hand, and can speak enough German to get by !

Oh.. Keydeck, I've been in KVR before and the person could not speak English, they could however speak Croat, Turkish, and Russian but not English ! Makes us feel ashamed really, when we are struggling to learn one language !

20 minutes both visits.

I had all my paperwork prepared, had found copies online of the previous forms so I knew exactly what to write in where.

Also found the hidden church tax box!

It does help being an european citizen with a strong work contract and stuff so show them

I also went in the afternoon as soon as they opened which is a much quieter time.

I picked my number and first time I was third person in the room, second visit I was in there first

Poots

Hiya

my local KVR is about 100m from my front door so I picked up the forms on the way home, filled them out and then popped in on the way to work - 10mins max.

At the Ausländeramt I just got waved through as well.

Wasn't my first registration in Germany though.

Katrina

Am I glad that I live outside Munich. I go to the 'Landratsamt', the people that I've had to deal with aren't as stressed as the ones in the KVR, are more polite, & it's a lot quicker in most cases.

After being here 12 years FINALLY got round to getting an "Unbefristet" Residence Permit. I was so overjoyed I said to the Beamtin: "You mean I never have to come here again! ? :D " She seemed surprised that people don't like going there!

I go past the KVR on the bus quite a few times when I'm already half cut and off to a club. Flick em the Vs every time. BUNCH OF F-ing *****! :angry:

Oh yeah and I'm sure that making EU Citizens get a "permission" to live in Germany is illegal under EU law.