Motorbike lessons and test

34 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the procedure for taking motorbike lessons and the license test is here in Bavaria?

Every year I get the idea in my head that i would love to have a bike for the summer.

Do you know of it is possible to do this with limited German skills?

You want to get a licence and ride this summer? Then you're going to have to do it double quick if you want to do it here. You have to go to a driving school as you must do a certain amount of schoolroom training as well as a prescribed number of supervised hours on the road. This all takes time (how much time depends on whether you already have a licence to drive a car for instance) and mucho dinero.

I believe that it is possible to do the written part of the test in English. As for the practical tuition, that would not require too much English on the part of the instructor ;)

If I find time tomorrow I'll check the current regulations. Easiest thing to do is go to a driving school. Charges may differ from school to school, but the legal requirements don't so they'll tell you.

But however you do it, do do it :)

i know quite a few germans who have done the motorcycle license after the fact & it isn't cheap -- upwards of €1,000. usually took them 3 months.

€1000 is most likely nowhere near enough, even for simply the add-on to a car licence.

I did mine here in '93 and it cost more than that back then. Plus the compulsory hours of theory and practice. Glad I did it though.

You'll be looking at closer to €2500 for the whole thing, and that's based on you only needing the absolute minimum of lessons and passing your test first time.

There are plenty of places where you can do the stuff in English. Here are three who have confirmed it.

Fahrschule Betz

Rheinstr. 30

80803 Munchen

Tel. 089-3681880

Fax 089-36818820

e-Mail: 13fahrschulen@gmx.de

Fahrschule Rausch

Ungererstr. 100

80805 München

Tel. 0172 308 36 65

e-Mail: ruediger@fahrschule-rausch.de

Web: www.fahrschule-rausch.de

Fahrschule Christine Timmer

Georgenstr. 24

80798 München

Tel.: 0179 599 59 08

According to a mail from Christine Timmer, her charges are as follows:

Registration - €160

Theory classes - €15 per 90 minute class (4 mandatory motorcycle & 6 mandatory general classes)

Driving lessons - €35 (undefined number)

Special lessons - €43 (mandatory is 5 x open roads, 4 x autobahn, 3 x night driving)

Theory exam - €60

Driving exam - €150

Study material is available in English as follows:

General test sheets - €59

Motorbike questions - €39

TÜV test fees amount to approximately €130.

If you want to get your licence quiickly then I'd reccomend going to the UK.

I was lucky enougth to be made reundant last year :D and took 2 weeks to do my test.

Their are plenty of intensive courses on offer where you can do it all in 5-10 days including CBT, Lessons , Bike Hire, test fee's etc.

My course was around £700 including everything plus another £200 for another 4 days tution and test (failed the 1st test for riding too slowly :blink: )

Only thing you need to do is to get your Theory and Hazard perception test before you can do the CBT etc.

I reckon I paid around 1500 Euro's for everything and got it done in 2 weeks spread over Two visits.

I can reccomend this solution for anyone that has the time.

Yeah, I'd say if you can take the time off work it'll be far easier to go home and do an intensive course there instead of here. Why put obstacles in your way?

What is the law here regarding provisional entitlement for riding 'bikes, anyway - could you just get a small engined bike and ride that? These days 125s (which is/was the limit in the UK when I had to worry about those things) are plenty mad enough.

Damn. Now this thread has got me thinking about it as well! Reckon I can still get my hands on a 400/4, or have they all rusted away by now? B)

If you want to get your licence quiickly then I'd reccomend going to the UK.

If the emphasis is on getting it done before summer is out then I would also recommend this as the way to go. I know someone who did it and he just looked on it as a fun holiday.

OhFFS Yeti is right - the law is if you have a car licence issued after 1980 you can only ride a 50cc.

The 125 rule is not strictly legal here - that's One reason I did my tst last year I was riding aa 125 for 4+ years over here and then realised thata it's illegal :ph34r:

Yeah - go back home and take the test. I used to be an instructor myself here http://www.ssmcc.co.uk/index.html many years ago. Still good mates with the guy that used to run it for 20 years (he came over on his GSX1400 last summer!).

I had the bike out at the weekend - first time for months of course.

They are dangerous. They are addictive. I prefer to take my thrills from motorbikes and snowboarding than alchohol and drugs. Its my choice.

post-544-1144058137.jpg

If you are a resident of Germany it is, strictly speaking illegal to take a test in UK. You'd need to apply for a provisional license there, for which the questions on the application include "Are you permanently resident in UK?", "Have you ever lived abroad", "When did you return to UK" and "Do you have a driving licence from a foreign country" If you already have a UK license, you could upgrade it by taking a test, but the same questions will be asked when the new licence is issued. Of course, you can lie, but I wouldn't recommend it...

There is no provisional licence in Germany.

:huh: How the heck are you supposed to learn, then? Dual control motorbikes? :blink:

You ride with an instructor on another bike. Presumably if you are a complete and utter novice then they'll stick to fairly quiet roads initially.

Or in a car and he instructs you over a headset , occasional hitting you on the helmet with an umbrella if you are a poor student.

You first forays will be in a closed off practice area so you don't have to worry about becoming a truckers radiator decoration or the embarassement of falling over.

YL6 - I think it used to be that a full car license was also a provisional bike license in Britain, though I don't know if that is still the case. But since Eejit is Irish the point is moot.

You ride with an instructor on another bike.

Yes, you must be accompanied by a qualified instructor in or on another vehicle.

You first forays will be in a closed off practice area

Also yes. I had my first fun on the Cannstatter Wasen amongst the Frühlingsfest preparations. Mayhem.

You ride with an instructor on another bike.
Christ. How many hours do you get before you do the test?

Presumably if you are a complete and utter novice then they'll stick to fairly quiet roads initially.

Quiet roads are the best. Preferably narrow, twisty ones...

A good instructor won't advise you to apply for the test until they are pretty sure you're qualified to pass.