Travelling in IC Bus to Prague with a child

24 posts in this topic

I am planning to travel to Prague from Nuremberg and the shortest and cheapest option in public transport seems to be IC bus. Since I am travelling with my daughter, I have the following questions for which I dont have any direct answer present in DB site. So anyone who has travelled before in IC bus, please let me know.

1. Can I carry stroller (foldable) like I do in ICE/IC trains?

2. Do I need car-seat or booster seat for my daughter? Is it mandatory to have it?

I read somewhere (not in DB site) that these buses are not wheelchair friendly and hence I got confused. But the review was 3 years old. Any pointers or help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Do I need car-seat or booster seat for my daughter? Is it mandatory to have it?

No. In big buses you should only use seat belts. See this page for details:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/ratgeber-verkehr/kindersicherheit/kindersitzberater/praxis/verkehrsmittel-kindersicherung-im-bus-antwort-11.aspx

Edit: Also StVO §21a (1a)-1: For buses with total permitted mass over 3.5 t child seat is not necessary.

Thats a wonderful information yourkeau. Thanks.

I also called the DB hotline for barrier free accessability (although I didnt specifically need that) at (0049) 180 6 51 25 12.

They confirmed that it is not needed and the bus will ride as smooth as IC or ICE trains will. So a use of the seatbelt alone will be sufficient it seems.

I will update the post again after I complete my travel (in June) for future references.

I'd imagine buses are intrinsically not wheelchair friendly. No way could you wheel them along the aisle, even if you lifted them up the steps. But what have wheelchairs got to do with kids. Unless the kid is in a wheelchair?

I read somewhere (not in DB site) that these buses are not wheelchair friendly and hence I got confused.

Oh yes they did!

No-one mentioned anything about a wheelchair.

Here she did.

I read somewhere (not in DB site) that these buses are not wheelchair friendly and hence I got confused.

OK.. I didnt get confused between these two, but this is the closest I could imagine for a stroller equivalent. I mean if its wheelchair friendly then most probably it is expected to be stroller friendly as well. The DB telephone support team was also clearly telling this and clarified this (details in my previous post). My question was hence split into 2 parts, one is to carry stroller and then the other about seat booster requirement. The answer for them, according to DB is

1. Yes, strollers can be carried and stored in folded position with ease.

2. No. Child car seats/booster seats are not needed.

I've travelled with that bus quite a few times, and the storage space up at your seat is minimal - there's a ledge where you can put your coat and *maybe* a smallish briefcase. The stroller will have to go in the luggage hold, along with the suitcases etc.

I travelled a lot between Prague and Munich by bus, car & train. The bus is the least hassle.

The cheapest and best option is actually Eurolines because its a bit more roomy, its generally less busy and you get WiFi and snack in the price too. This will cost between 60-80 EUR return.

http://www.eurolines.de/de/startseite/

They have a ticket office in Hackerbrucke too, so if you want to buy over the counter or at shorter notice thats possible there.

They travel from the bus station at Hackerbrucke which is a 10 minute walk from the HBF or you can get any S-Bahn to it. In Prague they stop at Florenc which is only 1 stop from the main station there if you need to travel onwards.

In Prague if you have a lot of stuff to carry and need a taxi use:

http://www.aaaradiotaxi.cz/index.php?xSET=lang&xLANG=2

Getting taxis off the street in central Prague as a tourist you're likely to get overcharged.

OP, what is the age of your daughter? If she were mine, if she is of car seat/booster age in a car, she would be using one on a bus too. It's still a vehicle on the road.

Regardless of the fact that DB says the bus ride is "smooth" and a car seat is not required, the bus is still a vehicle on the road and accidents often DO happen (yes, I know train accidents can also happen, but they are much less likely). Car seats are not related to how "smooth" the ride is, they are designed to protect your child in the case of an accident.

Just my two cents... as I am also a mother, I would feel better with my child in an appropriate safety seat while travelling by car/bus (note: we have a car, so we drive everywhere, or occasionally take an Ubahn or tram...never had to take the bus so far. But if we did, bet your ass I would be bringing the car seat, or I would find another means of transportation).

I agree with hlib76 that it's nonsense to relate the need for a child seat to the smoothness of the ride. Still, for typical impact accidents I think a child would likely still be safer on a bus than in a car, even using a simple belt.

OP, what is the age of your daughter? If she were mine, if she is of car seat/booster age in a car, she would be using one on a bus too. It's still a vehicle on the road.

Assuming the bus has three-point seat belts. Because (which is most probable) if the bus has 2 point seat bealts I don't think a booster is going to help much. And most kiddy seats sold in Germany are meant to be used with three-point seat bealts.

My friend who was travelling with her 3 year old to Nuremberg from Prague last month was denied boarding because we didn't have a car seat. Has anything changed since the OP had posted this?

When I used the bus in early January of this year, nothing had changed in terms of the seat belt situation.

On 3/22/2019, 7:24:51, seprac said:

My friend who was travelling with her 3 year old to Nuremberg from Prague last month was denied boarding because we didn't have a car seat. Has anything changed since the OP had posted this?

Our friends were as well denied boarding a Berlin-Hamburg bus with FlixBus.  I had to drive to the station to borrow them a booster and so they could take the next bus (and they had to  buy new tickets).