Tax on foreign income

67 posts in this topic

Where does foreign income need to be declared if it is a salary payment, or a directors' fee?

(not capital earning - dividend / interest etc., which is already well covered by  @PandaMunich  in this thread)

That is, when I file my taxes as employee. I don't suppose there needs to be a separate filing for self-employed/freelancing?

9 hours ago, nannorcha said:

Where does foreign income need to be declared if it is a salary payment

In Anlage N-AUS:

HI,

I relocated to Germany from nonEU/EEA country and still have there self-employment. During few months, physically being in Germany, I did some job for my previous employer by existed contract. To declare this income in Germany (since it was paid on my bank account outside of Germany)  I should probably fill the steuerkleidung and maybe some Anlage (probably Anlage N-AUS), but the main question is - how I can actually pay the taxes here? how much? The income was about 6000$ during few months.  Another question is about double taxation, but to return it, probably it should be paid first :)

Dear Experts,

I have a few questions for 2017:

1. Could you please tell me what currency conversion rate can be used for converting the INR interest income into EUR for filing returns for 2017? Is there some guidance on taking the rate of a particular date in 2017 or I can just take an average value between 1st of Jan 2017 and 31 Dec 2017 or freely any rate that existed in 2017? 

2. How to take care of the amounts from different financial years between India and Germany? The FY 2017 in India is from Apr 2017 to Mar 2018 and in Germany it is the same as calendar year 2017. How should I pull out numbers from FY 2016 and FY 2017 for the taxes (interest amounts I can look in the bank statements for calendar year 2017).

3. Is an excel sheet enough to explain the calculations (I have house rent income and interest income from India that I need to explain).

4. What supporting documents do I need to submit while filing the returns in Germany - both for domestic as well as foreign income? e.g. do I need to submit any receipts/the tax statement from employer/insurance documents for domestic and bank statements for India? Or these documents are needed only when asked for by the Finanzamt.

Thanks!

Hi, 
I have read through this post and haven't found an answer to my question. Further the links take me to the forum screen and not to the posts (maybe they no longer exist due to being so old, not sure)

I am a South African with a property. I do not make a profit on this property, I make a small loss. (About 17€ loss each month)

This is the only thing I have in South Africa. Everything else is German.

I did have a South African income in the first 4 months of 2018, but as I understand it, South Africa doesn't get double taxed.

Please advise if I need to do a tax return.

Will be looking for a lawyer for help, just wanted some advise in the meanwhile.

Marilee.

Hi. I have a couple of questions about reporting my US investment income and also want to confirm a few things. Would be great if someone could help, maybe @PandaMunich?

I am a US citizen and purchased a few mutual funds in the US with American brokerage companies (Fidelity and Vanguard) before 2009 which I still own. The brokerage sent me a 1099 form saying how much I received in dividends and capital gains in 2018 (around 4000 dollars). My plan is to submit the 1099 forms as a PDF, plus an excel spreadsheet listing the amounts of dividends and capital gains for each mutual fund and the currency change to euros, and then add up the totals and put it in line 15 of Anlage KAP.

My questions:
1 - Is that the correct way to do things?
2 - What exchange rate from USD to Euros do I need to use? So far I have only found monthly rates to use but no rate for the whole year.
3 - Even though I bought the mutual funds before 2009, do I still have to pay taxes capital gains and dividends?
4 - I know that there was a kind of "reset" on the value of mutual funds bought before 2009 on January 1, 2017. Do I need to somehow report the value of the funds on that date, or do I just need to calculate and do that when I eventually sell them?

Thanks for any help!

1. No.
  2. Those monthly rates.
  3. You always have to declare and tax the dividends.
    The capital gain, i.e. the profit you get from selling it will have to be declared, as well as starting with 31.12.2018, imaginary gains (= Vorabpauschalen) on those funds that didn't sell. But there's a 100,000€ tax-free amount for these profits if they pertain to pre-2009 funds, so you won't end up paying any income tax. But you still have to declare these profits!
  4. https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/375653-fund-taxation-in-2018-and-fiktive-veräußerung/?do=findComment&comment=3747488
    but in your case, since these are pre-2009 funds, it's line 39, which copies to either line 10, 13, 16, 19 or 22 in Anlage KAP-INV.