Possible move to Braunschweig

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm German but have lived in the UK for almost 13 years. I'm thinking of returning to Braunschweig. Is there an English speaking community? Does anybody know of any jobs where you need to speak English / in an English company? I will be in Braunschweig for almost one week middle of May.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Rebecca

I don't know if there is an English-speaking community in Braunschweig, but I am moving there in June, so there would be at least me. I am sure there are other English-speakers that live there, though.

There is even a thread about Braunschweig, see http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109994&st=25&p=3193064&#entry3193064

I live close to there but I never actually go there. I know a couple around here who grew up in S-Africa and they have told me that the wife used to go to some English community group in BS so there is something for sure.

I live in Braunschweig (since April). I don't think there is a big English-speaker presence here, but maybe I haven't been around long enough to know yet! The university (TU) and the basketball team (New Yorker Phantoms) and to a certain extent VW bring in some english-speakers, but you can't really compare to Köln, Berlin or even Hannover I guess.

If you ever feel like speaking English without having to speak like Tarzan, I am around!

Hi guys,

there certainly IS an English speaking community here, and we're definitely keen to meet more people. There's an English Language Cafe at the Kaufbar every second Saturday, which is a great way to meet new people (the next one is on 21 June). Alternatively, I'd be up for getting together for a beer or coffee or walk sometime with anyone who is willing :)

Let me know if any of you are interested!

Nikki

Hi Rebecca23, I can confirm that there are not too many English speakers in & around the Braunschweig area but enough. I would also agree with Nikki M that the Kaufbar every second Saturday is one good way of meeting some of them along with other nationalities and Germans wishing to practice their English. I will try to get there on 21st June, so please ask for me if you can get there. Yours Aye. Ronnie.

Hey guys!

I'm also in Braunschweig and have had scattered success with meeting up with native speakers. We are trying to start a new English Speakers meeting Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 6pm at the Wild Geese pub (Gördelingerstraße 49, 38100 Braunschweig). We are going to try to meet every Wednesday at this location for a month just to establish interest and see what happens! See you there :)

Next English speaking meet-up will be July 23 @7pm at Okercabana beach bar on the Oker River (Theodor-Heuss-Straße, 38122 Braunschweig) and if it is raining then we will relocate to Vielharmonie (Bankplatz 7, 38100 Braunschweig).

Hi Everyone, 

I know this post is quite Old, however I will be moving to braunschweig in the coming months and I really want to find a job. Do you know of any position requiring an English speaker or any multinational organisations accepting english speaking people at the moment? 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, elaine.pace90 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I know this post is quite Old, however I will be moving to braunschweig in the coming months and I really want to find a job. Do you know of any position requiring an English speaker or any multinational organisations accepting english speaking people at the moment? 

Thanks. 

It might be helpful to state your degree/area of expertise. I guess VW is not hiring a lot right know. There also is a not too small Siemens branch. But there are also many research institutions (TU Braunschweig, PTB, DLR). Those should hire english speakers if you have an engineering/cs/math/physics background.

4 hours ago, vronchen said:

It might be helpful to state your degree/area of expertise. I guess VW is not hiring a lot right know. There also is a not too small Siemens branch. But there are also many research institutions (TU Braunschweig, PTB, DLR). Those should hire english speakers if you have an engineering/cs/math/physics background.

I have my masters in Sustainable Development and Environment. I tried the Siemens branch already but there is no position available currently. I also have experience in Accounts as I have been working in that area since i graduated. I have no idea how that happened to be honest but I quite like it and would consider something like that too. 

Good luck with your job search.     Hope you also realise you need German Health Insurance! Your UK card is for 3 months as a visitor. I am sure you have all this in hand, but do use search function for  Anmeldung, Krankenkasse etc. Also the UK GOV. website is a great resource advice site for those moving within the EU.

Sorry- just realised your profile says Maltese!