Vegan coming for dinner

330 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Exactly, we are trying to cut our meat down because of the environment and also because of the way the animals are treated.

Sorry, don´t give a fuck on how they are treated, must be missing some empathy blob on my brain.

Or perhaps because my grandparents had a farm with animals, and slaughter was part of normal life, I find it perfectly acceptable.

58 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Sorry, don´t give a fuck on how they are treated, must be missing some empathy blob on my brain.

Or perhaps because my grandparents had a farm with animals, and slaughter was part of normal life, I find it perfectly acceptable.

I think animal ethics is much more than how you slaughter them.   I myself as well have seen animals been slaughtered since I was a kid and it was a normal part or my life.   I learnt to kill chickens since I was like 12 years old and I have killed chickens in front on my kids and they helped to remove their feathers and to clean them.

But how the animals are treated during their lives is something totally different.  Chickens living their whole life in tiny battery cages full of shit, cows developing giant tits due to selective breeding and living their lives permanently connected to the milk pumps and not been able to move around, and so on, that's wrong.

2 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

well - I don't consider myself "vegetarian", or "vegan", or "carnivore" - I just watch what I eat for purely egoistic motives :)

simple, mostly plant based, and not very much food makes my old chassis feel the best, so I stick to that.

I do like medium-rare filet mignon on occasion, but will get punished for it the day after with a flare-up of arthritis.

Ditto. I am the same. I have a weakness for dry aged beef steak and a glass of red wine ;)

Trying to cut down though and buy better quality meat as well. Quality is better than quantity.

I am really impressed by these vegan incredible burgers as well. Pretty tasty.

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I think animal ethics is much more than how you slaughter them.   I myself as well have seen animals been slaughtered since I was a kid and it was a normal part or my life.   I learnt to kill chickens since I was like 12 years old and I have killed chickens in front on my kids and they helped to remove their feathers and to clean them.

But how the animals are treated during their lives is something totally different.  Chickens living their whole life in tiny battery cages full of shit, cows developing giant tits due to selective breeding and living their lives permanently connected to the milk pumps and not been able to move around, and so on, that's wrong.

I agree with you 100% on this one.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

No we don´t. That is just bullshit propagated by the vegan-fueled media. There are way more effective ways to tackle climate change than cutting on beef, as the overall agricultural contribution is small. If we go that way, then let´s cut down rice too, it emits almost as much climate change contributing gases as beef.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/rice-farming-climate-change-global-warming-india-nitrous-oxide-methane-a8531401.html

So let´s stop talking bullshit, because nobody will cut down on rice consumption.

Well, people will have to in the end. Chopping down rainforests for food production, whether it be for beef, rice etc etc... It has a massive effect. We cannot blindly continue going the way we are. Putting blinkers on and calling it "bullshit" is not going to make it go away.

The real problem is population growth. I'm with Harry and Meghan here. 2 kids should be enough for anybody..

On 16/08/2019, 15:59:37, Anna66 said:

Chopping down rainforests for food production, whether it be for beef, rice etc etc... It has a massive effect.

Indeed it does, we need to get away from eating soy (or feeding it to animals) and getting back to sustainable foods like grass fed beef.

Problem is, thats not a simple solution, and the masses want simple rules like "meat free monday" which does nothing to address the problems and everything to stroke the ego.

On 16.8.2019, 11:28:23, Krieg said:

Oh, you are one of the people who want to call them "Veggie Disks", and veggie sausages should be called "Veggie Tubes".

When we were at University, we used to call hot dogs "tube steaks". :)

On 16.8.2019, 14:37:21, MikeMelga said:

If we go that way, then let´s cut down rice too, it emits almost as much climate change contributing gases as beef.

And termites! Don't forget the termites! So much for adding insects to our diets....

AND, don't forget to check the dinner ingredients for more things made from bugs:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-cochineal-insects-color-your-food-and-drinks-2012-3?IR=T#-voila-cochineal-dye-comes-in-two-basic-forms-cochineal-extract--the-bodies-of-the-pulverized-bugs--and-carmine-which-is-further-processed-to-create-a-more-purified-coloring-12

6 hours ago, food mom said:

When we were at University, we used to call hot dogs "tube steaks". :)

And termites! Don't forget the termites! So much for adding insects to our diets...

AND, don't forget to check the dinner ingredients for more things made from bugs:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-cochineal-insects-color-your-food-and-drinks-2012-3?IR=T#-voila-cochineal-dye-comes-in-two-basic-forms-cochineal-extract--the-bodies-of-the-pulverized-bugs--and-carmine-which-is-further-processed-to-create-a-more-purified-coloring-12

I tried the one with crickets in it the other day. (see link below)

https://wuestengarnele.de/4-x-INSEKTEN-RIEGEL-SORTEN-MIX-je-40g-Insekten-Energieriegel

Dark chocolate, figs and cricket powder. It was very crunchy, and tasted ok. Just not as sweet as I normally prefer.

17 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Problem is, thats not a simple solution, and the masses want simple rules like "meat free monday" which does nothing to address the problems and everything to stroke the ego.

Perhaps returning to the traditional catholic fast days would at least be a start.

Maybe the consumers are not wholly to blame. The supermarkets are full to bursting with food. Whether it be meat, poultry, fruit, vegetables, whatever. They can't possibly ever sell all the stuff they have. So they throw it away. Great!

Please stop with the insect food.  What next?

On 16.8.2019, 14:43:52, MikeMelga said:

Wow. Did they mistreat their stock, keep their animals in horrible conditions, or have you misunderstood what animal welfare is about when it comes to animals for consumption?

50 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Wow. Did they mistreat their stock, keep their animals in horrible conditions, or have you misunderstood what animal welfare is about when it comes to animals for consumption?

I think he is just honest. 

How many people really refuse to eat kebab because its halal (enough say its cruel, but how many actually do anything)? 

How many people, including supposed vegetarians, eat fish which is suffocated to death but would be horrified if beef was made by drowing cows?

Bottome line, I think most people are like Mike, they just lie to themselves about it.

I ate a ham sandwich at the train station yesterday that I regretted already whilst purchasing it.  

Stale bread, kommentarlos?:D:D

My dearly missed American friend Tom used to say the bread in Germany was too good to make a proper hamburger!

One of those pseudo french baguette joints...

I was hungry and my train was super delayed.

The bread was indeed stale, the staff listless and despondant, and the ham of dubious texture. 

Remorse abound, I did the honourable thing and ate it all. To add to the waste would have added insult to injury. 

On 8/20/2019, 7:59:14, kiplette said:

Depends what you call horrible conditions, but my perspective was it was always horrible conditions for their pigs, being kept in a dark barn all day, feet stuck in their own shit. They saw the light of day to be killed.

The donkeys, although not eaten, had to work everyday carrying water and other heavy stuff and were whipped frequently, sometimes with no reason, just because life was shitty.

People think all small farms are idyllic, and that only large producers are evil, but it is not always like that.

53 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Depends what you call horrible conditions, but my perspective was it was always horrible conditions for their pigs, being kept in a dark barn all day, feet stuck in their own shit. They saw the light of day to be killed.

The donkeys, although not eaten, had to work everyday carrying water and other heavy stuff and were whipped frequently, sometimes with no reason, just because life was shitty.

People think all small farms are idyllic, and that only large producers are evil, but it is not always like that.

It is just another day for us in paradise as Phil Collins once sung.

Like horses with blinkers, we in the "first world" walk. Those who see are the truly strong.

No idea why but this thread reminded me of this song.