Vegan coming for dinner

324 posts in this topic

So the significant other 'volunteered' ;) us to host a dinner party - normally no biggie, but this time one of the guests is gonna be a vegan. I'm a vegetarian (hubby & kids aren't, though), but I'm still at a loss what to serve as a main course as it's only now that I realize how dependent on animal products my cooking is - a spoonful of butter here, a few eggs there or a generous handful of cheese on top ...

Has anyone any creative ideas, what to serve as a vegan main course? Ideally something that can be somehow 'recycled' to avoid lot of extra cooking e.g. a vegan main that can be served with a fish/meat main as a side, or a stew/curry that can be made both in omnivore and vegan version ... ?

I wonder if there are any vegans reading this forum -- I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but after reading the 'Bacon' thread, they were just afraid to come out of the closet 8-)

Any vegetarian with the confidence to use the word "bacon" in a public forum without apologizing deserves at least one green if not more. Greens are good for the soul and for your health. :)

Well, I made a company lunch for a mixed bunch of developers, ranging from crazy carnivores (me :) ) through vegetarians to hard core vegans.

I did a burrito spread, meaning I bought a bunch of flour tortillas (big German stores carry those) and put out all sorts of ingredients for the various groups of people - select from list below (vegan, vegetarian, meaty):

- chipotle in adobo sauce (amazon.de has that)

- chopped fresh greens/shredded salad/ chopped bell peppers

- canned corn for the Germans ;)

- refried black beans (vegan if made without bacon)

- finely sliced red onions

- guacamole (avocado)

- other salsa, lots recipes in the 'Net

- crumbled white cheese (Turkish white cheese works) OR

- grated cheddar

- boiled eggs, quartered

- crumbled or whole fried bacon

- pulled pork (make lots of it beforehand and freeze in batches) OR

- ground beef fried with hot spices

All of this can be prepared the day before.

Build your own burrito!

Wrap ingredients in tortilla and warm in microwave or in moderately hot non-stick pan.

I'm not vegan but i hate cheese so when I'm cooking for veggies they usually get vegan food :P. A couple of options that come to mind:

1. pasta with roasted vegetables and a nice tomato-based sauce . vegetarians can add cheese, carnivores can add bacon or similar

2. stir fried noodles and vegetables with tofu (plus or minus a meat option)

Also a couple of vegan dishes which i have enjoyed even as a meat eater: nut roast, lentil shepherds pie

Oddly enough, the free booklet stuck to the front of the very cheap 'Laviva' this month is 'vegetarian and vegan' and it offers you salad with veg and tofu skewers, green vegetable soup with crispy pistachio crumbs, saitan gulash, mushroom-in-a-bun-pretending-to-be-a-burger, asian stir fry veg with peanut sauce, peach cheesecake (tofu and soya yoghurt, no cheese in this one!) trifle, and a handy list of the most important ingredients for vegan cooking (agar-agar, fake egg, carobin etc. etc.)

Seitan is something I have been meaning to make since seeing it in a book I picked up cheap in Waitrose several years ago. Sadly the book is in the other house and I can't remember enough of the method, just remember that it seemed to involve washing flour a lot until something gooey happened with the gluten. Now going to have to google that.

My wife is vegetarían but we have a vegan cookbook and she often makes lentils with coconut or something similar. I've always enjoyed a stir fry and those are always easy to add meat to.

Roast vegetables with couscous and toasted almonds? You can roast pretty much any kind of vegetable, cauliflower and sweet potato is particularly good. (Use plenty of olive oil for roasting)

Soak the couscous in vegetable stock, chuck in some sultanas and olive oil when ready, then the almonds. Some home made pesto as a condiment goes really well with this, though I'm at a loss to think what you would replace the parmesan with.. Google will no doubt be able to help you out there.

A lot of food from India is vegan, or can be easily adapted into a vegan recipe.

I like the following recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole Maybe a bit wintry, but it's not difficult to make and I've had very good results.

You can buy Soya yoghurt in Edeka and Rewe, as well as in the various Bio-supermarkets.

Mushroom risotto, and various other risottos, can be made as vegan dishes.

How well do you know this person? If possible, I would ask the vegan for a suggestion. He/she might even offer to bring the main dish and you can concentrate on the real food. :)

I Moroccan style cous cous maybe : http://theshiksa.com/2013/11/20/moroccan-style-vegetable-couscous/

Tempura

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/sidevegetabledishes/r/vegantempura.htm

It looks impressive

Tastes good

Isn't piously healthy

Make plenty because everyone will want a go on it.

Amanda wish I could give you 10 greenies for your useful, non condescending and helpful post. Yes indeed vegans and vegetarians are not salad addicts, and Kaiserschwarm is not a meal.

I'll be bring along lentils with carrots flavoured with ginger, and Thai Tom yam paste to the vegan cookoff on Sunday. While I'm only vegetarian I've no problem cooking vegan when the event calls for it, and am looking forward to 15 well prepared vegan creations rather than salads and boiled vegetables.

Be warned Tempura on its own is not so tasty. It needs a sauce or dip to liven it up.

Sure if vegetarians wanted tasty food, wouldn't they eat meat?