Strollers, pushchairs, prams, baby carriages

133 posts in this topic

Hi Krieq...thanks for your advice...yes i have a lot of research to do...

The thing is that prams with bassinets aren't that common in Oz...but to be honest, i've never really looked before. I guess I would need a bassinet for the first couple of months (as you said) but then I would like the stroller to hopefully fold down flat as well. I understand that it will weigh a lot more with the bassinet.

We already have a maxi cosi car seat so I have been looking at the quinny speedi...

I am starting to think prams are evil already and I don't even own one...ha ha

Hi smoochiecat!

My husband is really tall and I'm pretty short, so we were also looking for something adjustable. We have bought a Bugaboo Camaleon (if you google it, you'll find the official website which has videos on how to use it, fold it and so on). It works great on public transport, being very light and quite compact, yet extremely resilient. It is washable. It converts from bassinet for newborns (until 6 months, depending on how quickly the child grows and develops) to sit-up stroller (with 3 positions: straight, middle, flat for naps). You can buy adaptors to attach any infant carseat on the frame of the camaleon. the only negative aspect is the price (quite expensive), so it's a good investment if you're planning to use it for your second child as well. Second hand ones are easy to find online, though!

Hi Margot...thanks for the advice...i've been looking at the bugaboo (my husband is convinced this is the one he wants) but I was also put off by the price. However, it seems to be the only one which has all the features I want...maybe it is worth paying the price as you said as we would like to have more children after this one... I really appreciate your feedback...

Hi Smoochiecat,

First, congratulations on the bump:-)

I have 3 kids under 5 and am a bit of a pramaholic, With my first we had a Hauck combi... hated it, really heavy and creaky and ugh! Then a Quinny Speedi ...the best imho, light, bassinette, adapters for the carseat and then can use the seat from 6 months (has an infant insert) to toddler. It is really easy to manouever (sp?) and the big tires are great in the snow, mud, cobble stones, you name it. I love, love, loved it. We had a few doubles after that Easywalker- also great, bit heavy, but nice and sturdy and we were in Sweden and enjoying the outdoors much more:-) We had a Kolkraft- awful, cheap, not for European streets. We had more singles too, Graco Quattro, light and easy to fold, but hated it for use with an infant and just found it not sturdy enough for cobblestone; A PegIerego Pliko Switch- can reverse the seat unit and has a pramette insert, is light and plush, but again not goood for any surface outside smooth pavement; Mamas and Papas Skate, seat uniit reverses, seat turns into full basinette, super easy to control, looks fab, carseat attaches, but front small swivel wheels have been a nightmare on curbs, public transport and snow; Quinny Buzz- really hated it, was great with a basinette when the bub was tiny or for the carseat, but the small frontwheel is in my opinion great for the mall, but completely impractical on any bumpy surface and it began to creak horribly within a few months (a common complaint with the buzz); and a Micralite Fast Fold, great for the airport and has a basinette as well as carseat adapters, but honestly only for indoors or travelliing, I think it's uncomfortable for long hauls and tiny wheels. I always go back to the Speedi, really durable, practical, comfortable and it's very nice to look at too:-) Oh and not adjustable handle, but I am 5'7 and my hubby is 6'3 and we both find it comfortable to push. If you think you'll have more relatively soon the Phil & Ted's is great as it's a good single and converts to a double, with nice big air tires and comfy seats, easy to handle, etc. Good Luck!

Quinny Speedi

Maybe you will test some as well, we have 2 kids and 3 prams, and 3 baby cots and one car seat and planning to buy a new one :ph34r: It is a nightmare.

My only advise is invest in something good if you can, otherwise you will regret it, you will be pissed and you will end up buying what you wanted originally. We can recommend:

- Maxi-cosi cabrio with easyfix base. Forget about the damn seatbelt and just click the thing on it. It takes just 1 second

- Quinny Zapp for the maxi-cosi. It is not perfect, but it is light and it folds really small.

- McLaren pushchair. Best thing ever for your toddler, easy to fold, very light and maneuverable (sp?).

Our main pram on foot is a Quinny Jogger (do not remember the exact model) but we were never satisfied with it. It is too big and too heavy but in the other hand it is excellent during winter or for outdoors or crappy roads. It is a 3-wheels one, and that would be one of your first decisions, 3 or 4 wheels. 3-wheels ones are shitty for public transportation if you have to climb steps (buses, trams, etc).

I bought a GESSLEIN pram at great expense and the carriage literally just fell apart on me after a year of moderate use. Ergonomically it was also a dud. Definitely one to avoid.

In contrast a CICCO pushchair was absolutely great value for about 50 Euro, light, robust and easy to fold.

My friends with Bugaboos have been irritated by the wheels, which aren't as "all-terrain" as others. I haven't tried them, but my friends claim that their Bugs struggle in snow and on cobblestone (or at least their babies get jiggled and jangled more than in more full-size strollers). Which brings us round to the truths that (1) you need to choose based on your needs (i.e. if you don't plan to walk in snow and/or in German cities, a lightweight one will be just fine) and (2) if you do sometimes need to do the former, and other times need to walk long distances on cobblestones or in snow, you may need to get another stroller for that.

I don't know about their weight, but the Gesslein (sp?) strollers are suddenly very popular here. A neighbor has one and says it folds down very flat in the car, has a bassinet and heavy-duty all-terrain tyres/tires. Worth having a look at, I think.

In the market for a baby carriage (Kinderkombiwagen) and this is worse than buying a car! We looked at the Stiftungswarentest comparison of a few from 2009. There is all this talk about "chemicals in the materials" and as a result, not one baby carriage got great reatings. Can't one simply wash the material before putting a baby in it? Is this really a huge issue?

We went to babywalz and tried out a few (Teutonia, MacLaren, ABC Turbo 6s) and I like the ones with big fat wheels on the back, and 4 smaller ones in the front. I will be walking the city streets, cobblestones, through the park, etc. with the little one and those rotatable front tires really were great. I want ease of removing the bassinette and folding flat baby carriage/pram to put it into the car. I'd like to be able to put the car seat directly onto the baby carriage if I'm out just shopping. And of course when the kid is old enough to sit, I can adjust it so it can sit up. So the ABC fit the bill, but Stiftungwarentest gave it a "mangelhaft" rating!

How did you go about choosing one? Has anyone bought a used one? If so, from where? And it has to be one we can buy in Germany or nearby France, though I doubt that is any cheaper.

And to be very honest, I don't have the attitude "i want only the best for my child" because they won't really know one way or the other so I am reluctant to spend 600€ on one. I mean, is this really necessary? There are people out there who simply cannot afford this and they make due. I know I can afford a top line baby carriage, but I just feel this is unnecessary.

How did you go about choosing one? Has anyone bought a used one? If so, from where? And it has to be one we can buy in Germany or nearby France, though I doubt that is any cheaper.

And to be very honest, I don't have the attitude "i want only the best for my child" because they won't really know one way or the other so I am reluctant to spend 600€ on one. I mean, is this really necessary? There are people out there who simply cannot afford this and they make due. I know I can afford a top line baby carriage, but I just feel this is unnecessary.

Stokke Xplory.

Ok, its more like €1000 new and we were a bit guilty about spending that too (actually we got an ex-dem one for 700, they go for 500 tp 700 on ebay) but it does everything and is perfect for urban surroundings. Worth every cent. Not so good XC. You can get adapters so you can unclip your maxicosi from the car base and slot it onto the Xplory chassis. Ferpec.

Only thing to watch for is that the bassinet is a little smaller than on some models, but our daughter had grown out of it anyway by the time it was too small.

We also have a Quinny zapp which is our mobility buggy (and main buggy now she is nearly 3) which is also good apart from its missing a "lay down" function.

I have a Quinny Buzz 4 for longer journeys, and a Quinny Zapp Xtra for quick pops to the shops! Both really good, though the Buzz is rather wide for using in the city. Both have adapters for the MaxiCosi... and the bonus with the Zapp Xtra is that it lays flat!

I got my Buzz second hand from Ebay Kleinanzeigen, with Maxi Cosi and Dreami for €200! My Zapp is from there too for €80 and I got the Xtra seat from Babywalz for €60!

A lot of people were telling us how great the Maxi Cosi adapter is for their baby carriage, but I was told by a doctor friend that transporting the kid in that is not healthy for its spine. It seems in the US this is quite popular. Is this simply a short-term, i.e. short trip, solution, that you also need a basinette, then preferably a seat when the kid can sit up, etc.?

The best advice I wish I had been given (or thought of myself!) would be to think a little about the kind of terrain you will be using the pram on... I live in Berlin and the streets are just awful for prams that have hard plastic wheels, I know that babies like to be jigged around a bit but going over cobbles and broken pavements is not much fun and can sometimes jar her awake... with hindsight rubber wheels or a pram with suspension would have been a much better buy.

We have the Maxi Cosi Mura 4 and love it. The built in suspension plus 4 inflatable wheels makes it a dream on cobblestone and other rough terrain. The size is a little big but the front wheels aren't locked straight like in many other prams (although this is an option) so it is super manoeuvrable around the grocery store.

The stroller is 400 on Amazon and bassinet can either be purchased as a separate add on (for 200) or as a soft bag that sits on top of the stroller when fully reclined (for 60)

The chemical smell that comes with new baby products usually comes from the plastic and nylon material. The best thing to do is air them out. We had our stroller on our balcony for close to a month before bringing it inside. I also washed whatever I could but it didn't make a huge difference.

Also, this website was useful when we were making our decision - http://strollersandprams.com/reviews.html

Good luck!

Yeah, the real wheels vs. plastic ones is truly something to consider. Walking around with my friend, whose baby carriage has plastic, wheels, I was surprised at how jarred her baby got on certain terrain, but she kept sleeping, didn't even stir. I'll be using mine in the city, walks in the park on non-paved trails, not much gravel and on the cobblestone streets in town. It's hard to get a one-size fits all baby carriage though I'd personally prefer real wheels, not all carriages come with them.

We looked at the Mamba from ABC Design and its light weight was a selling point for us (and price too). The removable bassinet, though hard-shelled was a concern, but it was easier to carry around than the soft-shell bag that came with the Turbo model (was also heavier) and we live on the 4th floor! Good thing I lift weights :D We've yet to make our final decision, but we have to soon. Even the ABC brand needs 4 weeks delivery time.

I'm hoping for some advice/opinions...in May, I'll have a just-turned three-year-old boy and a newborn baby. We'll only be in Germany (before moving back to the U.S.) for about 6-7 months and I'm trying to decide what to do about our stroller situation. We don't have a car and use public transportation 3-4 times a week along with a lot of walking. I think my 3yo will be able to handle most of the walking but there are times he will get tired and I know there will be times when I want him under control (especially boarding U/S-Bahns). I like the idea of the kid-boards, but I don't love the idea of using them on public transport. I'm also hesitant to fork over a lot of money on a double stroller when I am going to have to resell it six months later (and because I don't think we'll need the extra seat very often). So, given that background information--

--Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced double stroller for my situation that is appropriate for a newborn and a 3yo? Or recommend a good, reasonably priced single stroller for a newborn and convince me that the kid-board is adequate for my three-year-old? I'd like it to be decently maneuverable so I can hold my 3yo's hand while pushing (ideally). I don't plan to take the stroller back to the U.S., so I'd also like something I can get good resale value on (in addition to having two strollers to take home on an airplane already, I'm planning to buy a double Chariot stroller back in the U.S).

--I do have a single Chariot stroller with an infant sling that I could use. Does anyone know if the kid-boards will attach to it? How easily can those boards be removed? Does this provide a comfortable-enough ride for newborns on city streets and cobblestones? (Although I HATE maneuvering the Chariot--even a single one--on public transportation--especially when the elevators are broken).

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone here have experience using a Hartan Pram/Stroller? German brand/made/quality. Could not find on the stroller review website posted above.

http://www.hartan.de/index.php?spr=eng

Thanks!

I had a hartan racer s and loved it for daily walks, public transport, getting around in general. Very comfortable for baby and easy enough to push, turn, etc. in all weathers and terrains. I did not need to pack it up and put it in my car very often, though. If I had had to do that, it would've been a pain, since my hartan was too heavy for that to be convenient. It did fold down small enough, though.

Hartans have a high resale value and seem to last forever. Many of the mums in my (upper middle class) neighborhood have them. I bought mine used for about 160 and sold it on 3 kids later for 75 Euros, still in great condition and excellent working order.

HTH

Thanks @liebling. Yes, they look nice and sturdy, but a bit on the heavier/bulky side.

Do you mind sharing where you found such a good deal on a used Hartan? Thanks!