Changing car tires

158 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, keith2011 said:

On a mountain road on a snowy night you would have to multiply that 1.5h by at least 10 and risk freezing to death, carrying an extra wheel and tyre round even for such a rare occurrence is worth it imo.

With that logic it is safer not to drive at all.  In the past 20 years I had a total of one flat tire and three car breakdowns far from home, for which ADAC kindly towed my car back home.   

5 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Must be with the rims, the ioniq has the same tire size as my Tesla and they cost 110-130 each, so less than 500€ total.

Why would you sell the original rims and then having to go through the headache of finding new ones with the correct ABE and registering them in the papers (visit to TÜV or Dekra) and having to carry the ABE in the car, or alternatively having to prove to the HU guy your rims are allowed with the ABE, every single time?  Or even worse, be limited to only steel rims?

Edit: The ABE document for rims is like 25 A4 pages, which you will have to carry all the time.  Been there, done that, learn my lesson, never again.

Just now, Krieg said:

Why would you sell the original rims and then having to go through the headache of finding new ones with the correct ABE and registering them in the papers (visit to TÜV or Dekra) and having to carry the ABE in the car, or alternatively having to prove to the HU guy your rims are allowed with the ABE, every single time?  Or even worse, be limited to only steel rims?

My guess is there is a cheaper price for rims+tires. In my case I saved around 500€ by buying them together.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

My guess is there is a cheaper price for rims+tires. In my case I saved around 500€ by buying them together.

Did you buy original Tesla rims?  If not re-read my previous post.  Keep your rims' ABE in the car.

Just the tires. 

Some kind of Michelin Sport Pilot. I think they are EV acoustic something or other. They are basically new - under 1000 km.

The buyer said he was going to buy new tires for € 250 each so he will basically get one free tire. 

On 3/21/2022, 4:08:28, MikeMelga said:

They don't have our tires on that website. The buyer is on his way.

Michelin Pilot Sport EV XL, 255/45/20, Accoustic GOE, Load index 105

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Michelin Pilot Sport EV XL, 255/45/20, Accoustic GOE, Load index 105

Those are definitely not the default Ioniq tires. The normal ones are 235/55/19. That explains the price difference.

Personally, although bigger rims look better, I prefer smaller rims, as it's more comfortable, cheaper, better range and less curb rash. I could put 20in on mine, but I'm fine with 18in.

We aren't so concerned with fancy rims and all. Yes, we ordered all the upgrades sans solar roof. We didn't take the window roof either because we both don't like them. Have had them before and never used them - both of us. Except for his black on black Baby Benz he had when I moved here with no AC. That didn't last long.

We're getting a pretty comfy ride on the 20 inch. Had a nice trip to Regensburg yesterday. Car almost drove itself on the autobahn except for him turning on the blinker for lane changing which went automatic. As you said, not so great on secondary roads or in the city. That's OK. He was overtaking 3 large vehicles on a secondary road, saw an oncoming car in the distance and we flew like a rocket without sport mode. The navi (voice command) found us parking right by our destination with chargers so we didn't have to pay parking. Getting used to this.

So far so good.

You know those new tires we bought? One of them picked up a small screw in the marina last week. Himself had it repaired for the drive home. They put a plug in it. He has ordered a replacement. Of course, not covered by warranty. Oy vey!

I got a puncture in one of my summer tyres last year, swapped the damaged tire over myself in a car park. Next day I took it to several, places, some recommended a new tyre , while others recommended a repair, with a plug thing. I chad it repaired with a plug thing. I have been running on it from April this year and and part of summer last year. Had no problems with it, even at speeds of 160 kph 

On 5/14/2022, 12:15:36, fraufruit said:

You know those new tires we bought? One of them picked up a small screw in the marina last week. Himself had it repaired for the drive home. They put a plug in it. He has ordered a replacement. Of course, not covered by warranty. Oy vey!

The plug is meant to be a proper repair usually, not a stopgap (unless they specifically told you this because of the nature of the puncture).

26 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

The plug is meant to be a proper repair usually, not a stopgap (unless they specifically told you this because of the nature of the puncture).

It depends on the car.  AFAIK the puncture repair, either cold (plug) or hot (vulcanized) brings you only to the ''H" speed index, and that's 210 km/h.  If you car goes higher than that it might be a problem, so check the max speed in your tacho.

Damages on the side of the tire can't be repaired.  And if you already used Reifenspray the tire can't be repaired.

16 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And if you already used Reifenspray the tire can't be repaired.

I was also told that but since it was the weekend and we were far from home, no other choice. 

However, after a while, we found a working repair shop the same day, and they fixed our tire without asking any questions, the cost was 10 euro. It worked 1 year afterward, then another tire got a puncture and we replaced them because it was time to do this anyway. Reifenspray is magic. 

The saga continues. He got the 5th new tire put on the car but at a different workshop. It took them 1.5 hrs. His old workshop put on the 4 in 45 min. Lo and behold, he realized yesterday that the tire was on the wrong way. He went directly to the workshop, they had no time for him and so he made an appointment for today. The guy tried to tell him that it didn't matter but you can clearly see on the AW tire that the tread throws water behind the tire, not in front of it. He should be home soon.

Tip - if you use the same workshop for all of your tire needs for 25 yrs. , including motorcycle tires, and they do a good job, stay with them. Don't try another one because it is a little bit cheaper. The End.

On 17/03/2022, 19:04:55, Boggsdollocks said:

Gunk in a can doesn’t work because the pressure in the can is insufficient to inflate your deflated tyre. Gunk that comes with an air compressor will get you to the nearest garage, whereupon they will charge you extra to get rid of all the gunk that has now coated the inside of the wheel. 
Spare tyres work. —Unless they have a puncture!;)

No you made me think! I wonder what pressure is in that spare tire after all these years... :huh: