Changing car tires

158 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Naturally the tyre service could not match the tyre with the other one on the axel so both had to be replaced even though not much worn, which is also a con trick!

Oh yes, been there! 

Had a blow out on the A2, luckily more of a fizzle than a blow, so I got to the hard shoulder safely and was sorting myself out to phone the ADAC when a couple of acquaintances stopped and put my spare on for me (illegally, but they were as fast as the ADAC would have been, being vehicle mechanics themselves) and I shoved off home, realising by the next exit that the spare tyre was only designed for a short trip, so came off asap and found a wheel/tyre shop.

All round they have you by the short and curlies - the gunk is crap, the spare wheel won't get you far and the tyre places have you at their mercy for 2 or even a full 4 new tyres depending on how the situation looks. I think I fell for 4. Seemed unavoidable at the time.

3 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Spare tyres work. —Unless they have a puncture!;)

You're carrying a spare that weights a lot, that occupies a lot of space, for the very unlikely event of a flat and being without ADAC. Makes no sense any more.

I remember I had a flat 20 years ago and I couldn't use the spare because the nuts were corroded!

I had one 2 years ago, called ADAC and 40min later I was riding.

Yes, there’s more sprung weight (15 kg, perhaps?) to carry around which impacts fuel economy, wear and tear, space considerations as you quite rightly point out. In other words, it’s not an optimised solution.
In my experience, most times when something breaks, it happens in the most inconvenient of places and help is often hard to come by. You could argue that mobile communication has largely solved this problem, but every now and then, you get your notorious “funkloch”, and it makes you wonder why you bothered to get out of bed that day. As a famously morose donkey once said,“They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them.”

That’s why I like to have a spare.

You can buy Run-Flat tires if you are that worried, those are tires that even after punctured can be used at lower speed (90 kmh) for around 15 to 100 km.  I personally don't like them.

And in a couple of years we will have airless tires, hopefully.

I think the manufactures need to go back to a proper spare not those narrow emergency ones which are only slightly better than gunk. What % of the running weight is a spare tyre, particularly on an EV with all those heavy batteries? It is penny pinching nothing more, better to pay a bit more up front imo.  In the good old days ;) I have used the spare many l times to fix  a flat and continue on to my destination at full speed and get the puncture repaired at my leisure.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I had one 2 years ago, called ADAC and 40min later I was riding

How did they manage that? For me they have always taken the car and me to the nearest service station, in one case a closed one in the middle of the night, most inconvenient!

Its the lack of choice, my new car I got came with a space saver, its shit, When I did get a flat on it, I had to swap it in the car park then drive it the repair shop, my first car a MINI, yes the original version,  the smallest car I ever had, came with a real spare tyre. It was easy to swap and carry on with my journey. Why its that all much bigger cars come with at best a space saver and now we move to gunck cans.

30 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

How did they manage that? For me they have always taken the car and me to the nearest service station, in one case a closed one in the middle of the night, most inconvenient!

If the tire still did not separate from the rim, meaning it is not fully deflated and it can be pumped back, ADAC will fix the puncture with a repair kit (piece of string inserted in the hole), assuming you really need it fixed and it is a fixable small puncture.   Otherwise there is not much they can do.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

You can buy Run-Flat tires if you are that worried, those are tires that even after punctured can be used at lower speed (90 kmh) for around 15 to 100 km.  I personally don't like them.

And in a couple of years we will have airless tires, hopefully.

They're very heavy, so if you can carry a spare, it would make more sense.

5 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I think the manufactures need to go back to a proper spare not those narrow emergency ones which are only slightly better than gunk. What % of the running weight is a spare tyre, particularly on an EV with all those heavy batteries? It is penny pinching nothing more, better to pay a bit more up front imo.  In the good old days ;) I have used the spare many l times to fix  a flat and continue on to my destination at full speed and get the puncture repaired at my leisure.

Sure, as they like, I would personally remove it after purchasing the car. For me the volume loss is more important than weight.

5 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I've used ADAC twice within Munich area, in both they were there within 30-40min. I guess outside is more problematic, but it's a very rare event.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I've used ADAC twice within Munich area, in both they were there within 30-40min. I guess outside is more problematic, but it's a very rare event.

I was not referring to the time for ADAC to arrive but how were they able to repair your flat so quickly? When for me it required loading the car on to a truck and taking it to a service station to repair it there, minimum time during office hours in Munich 3 hours and over a day outside of Munich at night!

I had one 2 years ago, called ADAC and 40min later I was riding.

•  

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

@keith2011, the tire was deemed unrepairable, so he placed one of those tire plug kits, added pressure and that was it. ThenI was able to drive to the shop.

So not really a comparison with a 30 min self change to a spare!

On 3/18/2022, 6:45:28, keith2011 said:

So not really a comparison with a 30 min self change to a spare!

Well, he took around 30-40min to come, then 15min to do the plug (was definitely quite hard) and next day I drove it to the shop and replaced it.

So overall I wasted perhaps 1.5h of my time and I didn't drag tires with me for 20 years.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

So overall I wasted perhaps 1.5h of my time and I didn't drag tires with me for 20 years.

On a mountain road on a snowy night you would have to multiply that 1.5h by at least 10 and risk freezing to death, carrying an extra wheel and tyre round even for such a rare occurrence is worth it imo.

A guy is coming to pick up our tires on Tues. for € 730.

We are pleased.

Someone asked me to update so there you have it.

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

€ 730 for second hand tires?? You must have been driving a tractor :lol:

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We are pleased.

Someone asked me to update so there you have it.

Nice one. Just the tires, or fancy rims, too? Can you share which tires these are? They do sound really costly, but I've never had a large car or SUV.

21 hours ago, keith2011 said:

On a mountain road on a snowy night you would have to multiply that 1.5h by at least 10 and risk freezing to death, carrying an extra wheel and tyre round even for such a rare occurrence is worth it imo.

I can be warm and cozy in my car with -20C for up to 3 days. Anyway, I understand the logic, but I never go to remote areas, as 99% of the people.

I only had 2 flats in my life, and on one of them I had a spare and was unable to change it because the nuts were stuck. You're forgetting the part that changing a tire not always works as expected.

24 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Nice one. Just the tires, or fancy rims, too? Can you share which tires these are? They do sound really costly, but I've never had a large car or SUV.

Must be with the rims, the ioniq has the same tire size as my Tesla and they cost 110-130 each, so less than 500€ total.

Of course if you add the TPMS, it's probably 200€ more.

Or maybe @fraufruit is a really good dealer!