Changing car tires

158 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

40 years ago it was not unheard of, but still, why oh, why, oh why, would one post that now?

Draw your own conclusions. Me?, My guess it rhymes with runt.

Huh?

41 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Really??? First time in hearing of someone doing this 😯

Yeah. It costs more money, though. I’m planning to lease a car next year, so I want to get all weather tires anyway. I won’t be in Munich, so I won’t really need winter tires anyway. 

1 minute ago, Janx Spirit said:

...and QED.

What? You aren’t making any sense and it looks like you are trying to call me the ‘c’ word, which is really, really not a nice thing to say to a woman. Why? Because I said I get my tires changed with the same rims? Wtf?  

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

What? You aren’t making any sense and it looks like you are trying to call me the ‘c’ word, which is really, really not a nice thing to say to a woman. Why? Because I said I get my tires changed with the same rims? Wtf?  

you don't have to have one to be one.

11 minutes ago, catjones said:

you don't have to have one to be one.

Yeah, true, but it’s still a really weird interaction in a thread talking about tires. 🤔 It is so out of left field. 

I didn't get it at all either.

Very bizarre.

Was going to say that I also had one set of wheels and two sets of tyres on the last car. What a pain, but cheaper, as you say, and I was definitely not alone, there were plenty of others.

Now we have two sets of wheels with the tyres on and the switching is quicker and easier.

we did the same for the first couple of years here because we'd brought the car over from the UK and of course only had one set of rims. After that we were able to find a cheap set of steel rims. We've also stashed the tyres in the 2nd bike store in the building so we don't have storage costs.

Interesting. You can get a used set of steel wheels with or without the old tires on them off Kleinanzeigen for really cheap. Search for the size in inches and your car brand and model to make it easiest. If you have a VW something you'll likely find tons.

11 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

...and QED.

Quantum Electrodynamic?

14 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

They use my one set of rims on my summer and winter tires. 

So you have to pay for swapping the tires twice a year and for balancing the wheels (those little pieces of metal to compensate for irregularities).   Aren't steel rims like 30 or 40 EUR a piece?  Just balancing a wheel is like 20 EUR each, and you pay this 8 times a year?   Or maybe you just do not balance the wheels and ride like that?

Very weird decision.

8 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Very weird decision.

Evidently it is more common than I thought, so maybe not weird. Just more costly. I doubt the wheels are always balanced, though, eh? To be fair, you should be balancing even individual sets of tires and rims because the tires wear, and of course the weights can be knocked off while driving. I never did, though. The car and tires were cheap enough, and drove well enough. Never aligned the wheels either, even after a control arm bushing replacement. I will align and balance everything on the car I have now, though, because I am replacing almost all suspension components. Once it's all done, the car is going to drive great.

2 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I doubt the wheels are always balanced, though, eh?

If you do not balance the wheels you might have some effects in fuel economy, uneven wear of the tires and vibrations.  

12 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Really??? First time in hearing of someone doing this 😯

On my last car, I used to get the garage to change the tyres on to a set of winters then summers then winter on to one set of rims

It because the rims were very expensive allu, and it was cheaper over then 10 or 5 years just to do the swap rather than buy an extra set of rims, the rims were so wide I could not find steel rims at that time

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

So you have to pay for swapping the tires twice a year and for balancing the wheels (those little pieces of metal to compensate for irregularities).   Aren't steel rims like 30 or 40 EUR a piece?  Just balancing a wheel is like 20 EUR each, and you pay this 8 times a year?   Or maybe you just do not balance the wheels and ride like that?

Very weird decision.

I pay about 140-150 per change and that includes storage (the storage alone is 50 per season). I assume they balance and change it properly. It’s strictly a tire place. 

I think I was paying 50 euro's ( if I remember right ), for the change of the 4 tyres on to the one set of RIMS, and I stored them in my cellar, but that was at least 16 years ago ...

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

I pay about 140-150 per change and that includes storage (the storage alone is 50 per season).

We paid about 30 or 40 last time, and the storage might have been included. Details in the car and its raining, but yours is a complete rip-off. Shop around in your new location - it could be well worth it.

Or maybe its just that Munich is wildly expensive, in which case you will be in clover when you move :)

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

We paid about 30 or 40 last time, and the storage might have been included. Details in the car and its raining, but yours is a complete rip-off. Shop around in your new location - it could be well worth it.

Or maybe its just that Munich is wildly expensive, in which case you will be in clover when you move :)

And that is all 4 tires with using the same rims and storage? Munich is expensive, though

Wow, I always change the wheels myself, and store the wheels in the garage. I though the cost was like 20eur/yr and that's way more than I'd be prepared to pay. Now I learn some pay 140-150 eur per change (two changes a year, so 280-300 eur/yr, right?)

I'm cheap.

46 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

And that is all 4 tires with using the same rims and storage? Munich is expensive, though

Yup. Be interesting when you get to your new location to compare prices for stuff generally. If this is anything to go by, life will be a fair bit cheaper!