Changing car tires

158 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

When do we change back to summer tires? End of March?

Winter tyre is effective when average road temperature is below 7-8°C. So when you observe that average temperature when you drive is above that, then you should think of changing to summer tyre. That's what I do

14 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I hear a lot about people wanting to sell tires. I think unless the tires are not brand new, and yours obviously aren't, you can only sell them for next to zero.

After I had my car written off after an accident and I was left with the other 4 tires (including rims), I sold them on eBay for 5eur (=1.25eur each).

Please do tell us how much you sell them for, I'm curious.

In any case good luck.

The tires have 600 km on them so brand new and they are special EV tires. I'll try to remember to check back when sold.

Thanks!

Experts advise using winter tires from O to O, October to Ostern/Easter. Trouble is, Easter moves quite a bit, and snow can even fall outside 'winter'.

Best to get Alljahresreifen, all-weather tires.

17 hours ago, Gambatte said:

This is interesting.

I hear a lot about people wanting to sell tires. I think unless the tires are not brand new, and yours obviously aren't, you can only sell them for next to zero.

After I had my car written off after an accident and I was left with the other 4 tires (including rims), I sold them on eBay for 5eur (=1.25eur each).

Please do tell us how much you sell them for, I'm curious.

In any case good luck.

I've sold very obviously older sets of tires for 50-90 EUR, and I bought a slightly used set of reputable  all-weather Goodyear Vector 4 Season tires on BMW rims for 300. All this on Kleinanzeigen. The used tire market is not too bad. You should know what you're getting, and there is of course the risk that the tires have damage that you cannot immediately see. So far, I have done fine, and fraufruit should also be able to sell her tires easily.

17 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Experts advise using winter tires from O to O, October to Ostern/Easter. Trouble is, Easter moves quite a bit, and snow can even fall outside 'winter'.

Best to get Alljahresreifen, all-weather tires.

Problem with all weather tyres is that they aren't as good in mud and snow as "proper" winter tyres and they aren't as good as summer tyres in Summer.

Driving a RWD car and seeing the chaos in other countries when it snows or particularly wet I would never go back to all season tyres.

48 minutes ago, bennetn said:

Problem with all weather tyres is that they aren't as good in mud and snow as "proper" winter tyres and they aren't as good as summer tyres in Summer.

Driving a RWD car and seeing the chaos in other countries when it snows or particularly wet I would never go back to all season tyres.

This is true. They are a middle-road choice for people who don't necessarily push their cars as much on the autobahn, and don't go to places that require serious winter tires. But, you'd be surprised how well some of them perform in serious winter conditions too.

1 hour ago, bennetn said:

I would never go back to all season tyres

40+ years later, have never had a problem with AW tires.

When I came here, Himself had the changy outy tires. Our little cellar was full of tires year round. I talked him into buying AW and he never looked back. That was about 30 yrs. ago.

Our new car has 4WD as well. The others didn't.

Each to ther own but it's clear the "best" solution is to have the best possible tyre for the season and not settle for a compromise for the entire year.  I could do without the arsing around twice a year though but I do like the feeling of getting my summer tyres on and going for a spin.

It is about insurance, I think.

If you have an incident in midwinter in snowy icy conditions, they can claim you were not using the appropriate tyres for the weather (all weather tyres clearly not being as suitable for those conditions as winter ones) and not pay up.

This is my understanding. I would happily be wrong. Not swopping them would make life easier, obviously. 

All of our AW tires have approval for winter. They have a symbol with 3 mountain tops and a snowflake.

Actually, they are all season tires, not all weather tires. They are better in the rain than summer tires.

I used to do tyre storage + swap at a dealership. Ten minute job, no spare set clogging the cellar.

The thing is with AW tyres, convenient as they are, they do affect range/consumption quite a bit.

I agree about the consumption. Plus, they wear out faster in summer for sure. They are basically winter tires adapted for summer use. These are basically the compromises you make for the space and time savings.

58 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

they do affect range/consumption quite a bit

Depends on the category of tire. EV tires are made for less consumption.

Are Fall-tires and Spring-"tires available too, for the particular conditions in those times of year? 😉

Whatabout using winter tires all year? Does fitting and removing tyres fatigue them, so that you should realty have two sets of wheels?

15 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Whatabout using winter tires all year? Does fitting and removing tyres fatigue them, so that you should realty have two sets of wheels?

I have used winter tires the whole year a couple of times and the only thing I can say is winter tires during summer wear considerable faster.

Yup, done that myself. Wore down very fast. Terrible idea.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

All of our AW tires have approval for winter. They have a symbol with 3 mountain tops and a snowflake.

Well, that's grand. It is way less faff to have one set, for sure.

20 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Are Fall-tires and Spring-"tires available too, for the particular conditions in those times of year? 😉

No fall or spring tires unless maybe you're talking about racing. Different tires perform differently depending on conditions, so there are tires that are better for whatever condition, and you can read reviews to figure this out, but unless you want to have several sets, it's not relevant.

By the way, when you talk about switching tires, it is basically standard that they are already mounted on different sets of rims. You don't switch tires on one set of rims. That's silly. If you don't want nice rims all year round, people tend to have winter tires on cheap steel rims. Or, you could get nice used rims and get new winter tires mounted on them. But taking tires off rims twice a year is not done.

Winter tires all year are acceptable. I even passed TUeV in July with winter tires. They are just louder, use more gas (because they are really sticky when it's warm and have a lot more contact with the road), and don't perform as well in warmer weather. I'm unsure of the insurance implications in an accident, though.

4 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

No fall or spring tires unless maybe you're talking about racing. Different tires perform differently depending on conditions, so there are tires that are better for whatever condition, and you can read reviews to figure this out, but unless you want to have several sets, it's not relevant.

By the way, when you talk about switching tires, it is basically standard that they are already mounted on different sets of rims. You don't switch tires on one set of rims. That's silly. If you don't want nice rims all year round, people tend to have winter tires on cheap steel rims. Or, you could get nice used rims and get new winter tires mounted on them. But taking tires off rims twice a year is not done.

Winter tires all year are acceptable. I even passed TUeV in July with winter tires. They are just louder, use more gas (because they are really sticky when it's warm and have a lot more contact with the road), and don't perform as well in warmer weather. I'm unsure of the insurance implications in an accident, though.

They use my one set of rims on my summer and winter tires. 

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

They use my one set of rims on my summer and winter tires. 

Really??? First time in hearing of someone doing this 😯

3 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Really??? First time in hearing of someone doing this 😯

40 years ago it was not unheard of, but still, why oh, why, oh why, would one post that now?

Draw your own conclusions. Me?, My guess it rhymes with runt.