Changing car tires

158 posts in this topic

I am ignorant about cars.

Today I brought the car to the garage for getting the tires changed from winter to summer.

The guy sayd the cost was going to be 20euro. Much lower than I thought after speaking with colleagues. Good.

Just now the garage called saying that 20eur would have been the price if I had the other tires already mounted on wheels, which I do not. Therefore it will take them more work and the cost is more likely to be near 60euro. Fair enough.

Does it make economic sense to purchase an extra set of wheel so next time the cost of swapping them will be lower?

I cycle to work every day, drive only weekends and long summer trips, about 5000km per year.

Thanks,

Yes, if you just get the bog standard steel rims for the winter tires. It also causes much less wear and tear on that sensitive part of the tires, since they stay on the rims.

An alternative investment you could make is to replace all the tires with all-weather tires, so you never have to change them.

1. Yes

I have cheap and ugly weels for my winter tires.

70€ each(?)

I change the tires myself. The only thing I can do with these electronic cars.

Additionally I had to buy a torque wrench.

I own the car now for 10 years. Evereything is written off.

(No, I don't use the first set of winter tires. It's already the second)

A set of good winter tires is still cheaper than an accident.

Provided a pro tells me they are safe, then the cheapest rims are good for me. I guess at worst they will simply last shorter, and look cheaper, but that's ok.

Yes, if you just get the bog standard steel rims for the winter tires.

Do I understand correctly that unlike tires, rims are always "all-season"?

Why are we in Germany encouraged (obliged?) to change summer-winter tires, whereas in other countries with similar conditions this is not the case?

Because Germany has summers and winters, perhaps?

Meaning real winters, with ice and snow and stuff?

The salt that they use in winter can knacker nice alloy wheels, so alot of people choice to use cheap steel rims in the winter and use nice shiny alloys in summer.

I am unsure about 'all weather tyres' I assume that they will be inferior in summer AND in winter. As the entire braking, cornering and comfort of the car relies on the tyres it is an area were I would not like to use something inferior. Also I am not convinced about cost saving, you either replace a set of all weather tires every 2 years OR replace 2 sets (summer tyres and winter) every 4 years.

If he only drives 5000 km per year, then the single set of tires will nearly outlast the car (aside from the fact that you're supposed to change them after 5 years anyway).

@OP: you're lucky. I got charged 57 euros for simply swapping the winter/summer wheels (I have a set of 18" for summer and a set of 16" for winter). Then they tried to sell me two replacement tires for the summer wheels - 170 euros + VAT apiece. Fortunately, I had already checked the prices - you can get the very same tires for 150 euros including VAT and free delivery. Never again am I setting foot (or wheel) there.

Why are we in Germany encouraged (obliged?) to change summer-winter tires, whereas in other countries with similar conditions this is not the case?

From a legal standpoint you are not required to.

However, have yourself an accident in December on summer tyres and your insurance company will point to the relevant passage in your policy which states - Summer/Winter tyres...blah...blah...blah... not paying you.

... Also I am not convinced about cost saving, you either replace a set of all weather tires every 2 years OR replace 2 sets (summer tyres and winter) every 4 years.

I don't know about you, but where I live storing piles of tyres in the underground garage is verboten. This means that I pay about €100/yr for 6-months' storage and the exchange of wheel sets at the end of each season. If I were able to switch to all-season tyres there'd certainly be a saving for me.

Because the laws of physics apply only only in Germany. In other countries you can drive on summer tires in winter and open windows of the aircraft.

I don't know about you, but where I live storing piles of tyres in the underground garage is verboten. This means that I pay about €100/yr for 6-months' storage and the exchange of wheel sets at the end of each season. If I were able to switch to all-season tyres there'd certainly be a saving for me.

That must be a building rule, because everybody stores the tires next to the car that in all the places I've been.

All-season tires are not very good in any of the seasons. It probably also means your fuel consumption is higher with those compared to summer tires.

It's often a building rule in underground garages - in the case of a fire burning groups of (i.e. stacked) tyres ignite easily and give off a very acrid smoke, so they they are a safety danger.

This winter, in the Munich area at least winter tyres were practically never needed, so didn't need to be fitted, bit of course we didn't know that back in November.

Keeping the winter tyres on their own rims has a lot of advantages, extending their life (as they are kept inflated) and although salt is not often used on most German rules these days it protects the more expensive rims usually used on summer tyres. The cost of changing tyres (as opposed to wheels with tyres) is much higher and over about 3 years the cost of the extra rims is generally covered.

This winter, in the Munich area at least winter tyres were practically never needed, so didn't need to be fitted, bit of course we didn't know that back in November.

You are wrong, winter tires are not (only) about snow, summer tires are crap when temperatures go below 7º. The rubber gets too stiff and they don't adhere to the road.

Because the other countries that don't need to get their shit together and make it happen.

Just look at the UK news when they get a light dusting of snow and the country grinds to a stop.

If you want to do it on the cheap you could always get a set of used wheels from a breakers yard or from eBay.

From a legal standpoint you are not required to. However, have yourself an accident in December on summer tyres and your insurance company will point to the relevant passage in your policy which states - Summer/Winter tyres...blah...blah...blah... not paying you.

From my understanding this is now law and has been for 2-3 years?

From my understanding this is now law and has been for 2-3 years?

The law only says you are not allowed to drive without appropriate tyres as warranted by weather conditions. So in practise you aren´t forced to have winter tyres - you just musn´t drive when there is ice and snow and you only have summer tyres (which was only the case on 3 days last winter in our area).