Stores for woodworking / hobby supplies?

41 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, cmaDecky said:

3m of of ~2cm x 20 cm wood, preferably already jointed. 

Already Jointed??   I thought you were looking for somewhere to buy the raw products so you could make it yourself...

A decent piece of oak, 3m x2cm x20cm  would cost in the region of 120€  

Its highly unlikely that a lumber yard would have this sort of product.. a Schreiner is the best option...   

Dont forget your vasseline or KY...

39 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Sorry but importing wood from outside a country which has a surplus of trees is a bit...mad!

You might think so but there are different types of wood etc.

As it happens I was for a time in my past loosely connected to a company that did a roaring trade selling sand to saudi arabia, literally selling sand to the arabs as the now rather tired old expression used to go.

20 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

You might think so but there are different types of wood etc.

Actually, I am just going to eat my own words. The piece of wood I purchased a while ago for my boat project was indeed imported through Hamburg I believe. It was/is special okuma Lloyds certified marine plywood and cost me 200 Euros for a 6 by 8 ft @ 6mm piece. it was a bugger towing it up the Autobahn I can tell you.

I happen to have the companion product - epoxy - on my doorstep - I think one of the only suppliers in Germany for boats.

My long awaited project went 3d today.

Another key word to look for is Holzhandel.

If anyone is looking for wood in Mannheim, these guys are great and will sell to hobbyists. You just have to take at least one plank/ length (depending on the wood 4-5 m long) https://www.baumann-holzhandel.de 

9 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Sorry but importing wood from outside a country which has a surplus of trees is a bit...mad!

Building the inside of a Sauna with German wood isn`t to be recommended. Imported wood from the high arctic is the Norm for obvious reasons.

He admitted he was totaly wrong but prefered to say "I will eat my own words" once he realised that he imported some marine grade plywood 

1 hour ago, LeCheese said:

Building the inside of a Sauna with German wood isn`t to be recommended. Imported wood from the high arctic is the Norm for obvious reasons.

Now that is on the house luxury list. Wife wants a pool for the summer, whereas I'd die for a sauna following a cold weather trip on skis or bike in autumn/winter. What we need is to rip out our badly built cellar floor and tile it then buy a decent sauna oven. There is a company in Munich Klafs who do saunas but they charge an arm, leg, and other bits for the privilege.

26 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Now that is on the house luxury list. Wife wants a pool for the summer, whereas I'd die for a sauna following a cold weather trip on skis or bike in autumn/winter. What we need is to rip out our badly built cellar floor and tile it then buy a decent sauna oven. There is a company in Munich Klafs who do saunas but they charge an arm, leg, and other bits for the privilege.

During my interweb travels last night saw a couple places in the area selling Nordic spruce. Can't remember the names but at least it's around!

5 hours ago, cmaDecky said:

During my interweb travels last night saw a couple places in the area selling Nordic spruce

Yes, exactly the same story with Douglas Pine. Lots of non-native wood can be obtained here in Germany.

@atc1973 I was a bit surprised you are looking for something already jointed. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are after a quick solution, rather than a "feature" (after all, it sounds as though this may be little more than a shelf, and not something to carry significant weight), you could always just use wood from your local Baumarkt and stain it the colour you want. 

Of course, if it is some sort of feature, can you post some pics of the finished product when you are done? A three meter long wine glass shelf means you must really get through your glasses!

Winerack.jpg.6530cf2e07a4720375c9f4b11e8 

Rough sketch of what its going to be, glasses underneath, booze on top.  Hopefully should look pretty good in the end, or at least good enough to post a blurry photo haha.  I guess it wouldn't need to be jointed.  You guys are right, I should probably quit slacking off, buy a hand plane, and learn to do it properly ;). However, the question remains if anyone knows a schreiner who will sell to a hobbyist, or is it really as easy as going to any of them.

I have some very very old oak planks that I have surfaced... Will post piccie later...

I may be down in Munich this weekend or early next week .. 

I was good at it, but could only chose Metalwork or woodwork...

As I could gas weld at the age of 13, I decided to to do metal work as I hadnt mastered welding wood bach together one I fucked up!!  ( I could with steel)...

I still work with wood doing the renovations in the farm, but steel is my heartbeat...

16 minutes ago, HEM said:

@SpiderPig  Did you also gain Woodwork at "O" Levels? (I don't believe that subject exists nowadays).

Back then, you had woodwork, metalwork, cookery and needlework. I still have my woodwork stuff.

Then they changed it to "Craft Design and Technology", a bit waffly and it was never the same.

It may just be simpler to make something with an open back... ie, two separate shelves, one suspended from the other and the upper bottle shelf fixed to the wall with the Floating shelf method...

Very little jointing to do and less time consuming = more satisfaction...

floating.png

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a masochist and have started down the rabbet hole of trying to improve my joinery

10 minutes ago, cmaDecky said:

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a masochist and have started down the rabbet hole of trying to improve my joinery

Now that's fantastic. Remember Youtube is your goto. If you find a decent channel let me know.