Stores for woodworking / hobby supplies?

41 posts in this topic

I am looking for a store that might carry different type things I can use. I am looking for something similar to a Woodcraft type store. Something that wood carry wood and tools. I mainly use a lathe if that helps to find a store. Also looking for a place that would carry plastic resin. This type resin is usually a thermoplastic 2 part resin used to make plastic pieces or parts. Sometimes this type resin is sold at craft stores like Micheals or Hobby Lobby type stores. Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated. I am located in Parsberg so I would prefer either Nürnberg or Regensburg if possible.

The quick answer would be that there aren't any such stores.

Seriously, though: there's no one-to-one correspondence between the availability of hobby stores in the US/UK and in Germany. If you go to the stores suggested by Zandood, you'll find they have VERY little for the hobbyist - and what they do have is rubbish in the way of woodworking tools and supplies. I've been here a long time, and I've come to the conclusion (and NO - I'm not a conspiracy-theory nut!), that there's a kind of professional "cartel" operating here trying to prevent people from becoming wood/construction hobbyists.

Having said that, I did spot a small store in Munich a few months back, which had stuff like DeWalt routers in the window, which surprised me. It was in Türkenstrasse and called "Suckfüll" - http://www.suckfuell.de/ (in German) you might like to try them. There's another place in Munich which does tools, materials and woodworking courses: http://www.kurswerkstatt.biz/ and their online shop is at http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/ . The online shop (in English) has wood-turning tools, acrylic pen blanks, exotic woods, some AMAZING japanese tools plus a whole host of other good, to very good, tools and supplies. I visited the Kurswerkstatt workshop a couple of years ago to talk about tools and stuff - I'm pretty sure they speak English - and they were very friendly and helpful. They're in Haagerstrasse, near the Ostbahnhof; here are some photos of their workshop: http://www.kurswerkstatt.biz/pages/ueber-die-kurswerkstatt/blick-in-die-werkstatt.php .

Hope that helps,

rob

I gave up looking for woodworking shops here and now search for everything I need on the internet - it's the only way! I was recommended a few places in Munich but when I got there they were useless :(

Picture Rail?

Maybe someone on this thread would know how in München or thereabouts to procure wooden picture rail moulding. Or a good carpenter shop where you can convince them to do some piece work (München Haidhausen)?

Hi, this is my first time on this forum and just wanted to say "hi".

I co-own Vectorcentral.com which contains a sizable home and garden section (including woodworking topics) and also personally own woodworkingblog.net which maybe of particular interest to members of this forum.

Catch you all soon, Gavin

[...] and also personally own woodworkingblog.net which maybe of particular interest to members of this forum. Catch you all soon, Gavin

Maybe not - the link leads to the following message:

"Notice: This domain name expired on 01/18/15 and is pending renewal or deletion"

Hey All

Wondering if anyone's found a place to buy wood for jointery. Went to the Dictum store and basically got told that they order materials through a service which doesn't sell to hobbyists and I should ask a local woodworker. All the local home improvement stores had nothing useful.

So, does anyone know of a lumberyard which will sell direct to hobbyists, or a good online store? Or maybe even a munich based carpenter which will order materials for hobbyists.

A baumarkt is not going to be your friend: fine for Otto handyman who just wants to put up a few shelves, but not if like @jeremytwo you need a new floor and/or are after specific types of wood.

Your options are: 1) a Saegewerk (lumberyard); or 2) Baustoffhaendler. You'll have to use google for your local one. 

Yeah, I noticed that J2, but on the off chance he doesn't live in the same village (or even county) as you, I thought he might like to know the search terms he can use to find one near him.

How much oak do you need? 

Whats it for? Are you wanting to turn candle holders or spim a saladbowl the size of the super bowl?

Maybe a Table and bench...  

Info is useful 

I agree with SP.   With more info, we could better assist.

Depending on what your making, I do have a wee idea.  Get to know a nearby joiner or schreiner.  I'm not a wood hobbyist, but I do need to make things for my shop from time-to-time that I know I can make.  I found a shop nearby and had them make something for me that was beyond my wood making skills.  When they called that the item was ready, I arrived not only with the funds, but a crate of beer.  That was in 2011.  Since then, we are good friends and whenever I need something from wood I can make, I go to them and they offer it on the cheap.  Larger or complex items they sort me out. 

Extending what BD said, could you not find a Wertstoffhof near you and dip into the scrap wood there? I have a separate private company near me to the Gemeinde's operation, and walked up and asked could I have the 2m long pallets? They actually told me to take them away! That's a few raised beds next year...maybe a pergola.

Right now I'm going to be making a wine/schnapps shelf to hang on the wall with the glasses hanging underneath. I'm looking for about 3m of of ~2cm x 20 cm wood, preferably already jointed. Would be happy to find a schreiner who I can order wood through, and the first order would definitely come with a case of auggy.

Other sources for fine wood material are as follows:

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/ 

https://www.groffslumber.com/

I realize these are in the US but I have had project size materials shipped directly.  Cannot remember the gentleman's' name but someone at Groff & Groff speaks deutsche...…..he is from the Amish Community.  They may send to Europe but it also may be cost prohibitive based on the quantity but the quality has always been spot on, if you are very specific about what you are after.  Understanding wood is a plus as well in talking with them about an order.

Sorry but importing wood from outside a country which has a surplus of trees is a bit...mad!