Civilian to work on Military Base (Medical)

3 posts in this topic

My husband & myself are looking into applying to USGOV jobs to move to Germany for a few years. I am an RN and my husband an FNP. We also have two little kiddos.

The plan: apply for said jobs, accept, move. (question: does anyone have experience with this? Ie; how long does this apply to move scenario play out? Do you have months to plan? weeks?)

Do civilians working on military bases typically find their own housing? Is there assistance for getting set up or is their only responsibility to fill the job?

How much planning (after the job is accepted) should be expected on our own? (IE; schools on base for kids, housing, utilities….everyday life stuff?)

Advice from THIS type of situation only please….I have spent countless hours searching this site to no avail on this type of situation. We don't want to move without a job, yet we are open to any location in Germany ;)

Thanks….there is a ton of info here….I know I appreciate it a TON!!!

If you happen to be considering the US hospital in Landstuhl, try posing questions to the forums at everythingkmc.com - several members there are US gov't civilians who have been through the hiring/moving process and can give you some idea of what to expect. As civilians you will not be authorized military base housing. There is a US housing office to assist with rental contracts and such but are less useful in actually lining you up with a house/apartment. The ramsteinyardsales.com Bookoo site has rental listings to give you some idea of prices in the local market. Plenty of English-speaking real estate agents off base but of course there are fees involved.