Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kindergartens for kids of US Gov't employees

3 posts in this topic

HI All,

I've been trying to research whether or not my kids can attend German Preschools/Kindergartens if we take a job in Stuttgart. My husband is a Federal Gov't DoD employee (not a contractor, not military.) We would prefer for our kids to go to the German public schools rather than the DoDDs Schools. Can anyone enlighten me on how this works? So far I've found info that contractors can negotiate to have DoDD school tuition included in their salary but that it is taxable, and that German PreK (?) and Kindergarten are subsidized so contractors are ineligible. Do we fall under the contractor category? Could we qualify for German public schools? Thank you so much for any information!

I know a few DACs who have their kids in the German schools. Main issue seems to be communicating with the non-English speaking staff and helping kids with their homework in German. But yes, you can, TESA contractors can't.

Yes you can do this without any issue. Normally there is a fee for Kindergarten (pre school) but school itself is free. How old are your kids? There are quite a few people on here who have moved with kids of all ages and put them into the German school system, who can enlighten you with the do's and don'ts and what t o be aware of.