What kind of cooking oil do you use?

108 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, toBnruG said:

I think you've got the right approach, though. I think people started selecting eggs more carefully some time ago after the plight of the chickens was reported in the media. I'm probably wrong but I think it's possible to get home-brand organic eggs and/or free-range eggs at competitive prices versus the others now. To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen anything other than free-range for months - I'll look harder next time. My point being, if people buy it then over time the industry catches up.

Reasonable and competitive?   Free Range / Bio eggs are at least 3 EUR for a 10x carton, normally 4 EUR or more, and these are normal supermarket prices where their bio-ness is in doubt, in a Bio Supermarket it is even more expensive.    Caged eggs are 1.29 EUR.

Fair enough, I haven't seen caged eggs for a long time. My local supermarket sells 10 eggs for €1,99 out of a barn vs. €2,59 for free-range vs. €3 for organic. But I'm a sandal wearing, EV driving, home-office working hippy so I wouldn't throw a box of caged eggs on the floor if you paid me to do it.

Local Reformhaus has 6 large bio eggs for 3,69, Lidl has 6 bio free range for 2,99 or 10 normal Bio for 3,30 I think. Reformhause is more a lifestyle shop to me.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Reasonable and competitive?   Free Range / Bio eggfor s are at least 3 EUR for a 10x carton, normally 4 EUR or more, and these are normal supermarket prices where their bio-ness is in doubt, in a Bio Supermarket it is even more expensive.    Caged eggs are 1.29 EUR.

Sometimes at work, I get a box of 10 from a colleague who has his own smallholding with a few chickens for €2.50 and you can really see the difference when you break them and the yellow is actually a proper yellow. Unfortunately, most of his eggs are for him and his family so they´re not available often.

Also don´t know if it is true but according to him, there will soon be no real bio eggs because the only genuine bio wheat for the feed comes from Ukraine and that ain´t happening at the moment.

Talked to a restaurant owner in Slovenia. Some restaurants have closed because they can't afford sunflower oil any more. She is struggling.