What kind of cooking oil do you use?

108 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, toBnruG said:

Welcome to 2022, where people prioritize buying / operating a smart-phone over putting food on the table. Maybe the people who don't have access to Whatsapp are the ones who really need the food? I don't mean to slam a well intended scheme but it I think it says something about where we are as a society.

Well, you really do intend to poverty shame people. For what, in this day and age, does one require a smartphone or internet access?

If you’re managing a really tight budget, it’s much easier to pay really close attention to every penny going in and out of your bank account if you’re able to use online or mobile banking. How do you do that without a smartphone?

And if you’ve been moved out of an area where all your friends and family live because there’s a shortage of social housing, it makes more sense to stay in touch over a free messaging app than to waste money paying for a landline or texts. How do you do that without a smartphone?

These days, a smartphone isn’t a luxury – it’s a lifeline.

Just last week State of Hunger research showed households at food banks have only £50 a week to cover the cost of living, and one in five have no money coming in at all.

Instead of weighing in on how households with just £50 a week try to stretch budgets to cover the cost of an essential like a smartphone, we should put our energy into looking at why people’s incomes are so low, and using that evidence to campaign for change so people don’t need food banks in the future. After all, in order for people to budget, they must have something to budget with.

Twenty years ago, a high-tech smartphone was an indicator of wealth. You didn’t need one to succeed, or survive. Now, in a hyper-connected world, being unable to access technology means poverty is more able to tighten its grip on your life. Many people living in poverty don’t have smartphones, despite needing them. Those that do have them because they have had to use some of their limited resources to stay connected, whether that’s to family, work, or the benefits system.

So it’s not: “How can you afford to have a smartphone if you live in poverty?” It’s: “How can you afford not to?”.

But really, get right down in the dirt there and poverty shame because you can. Great idea. Go for it. You do you, man.

44 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@toBnruG here another example...

Too good to go

With the app on a smartphone, you get a message if a local shop / restaurant 

has food that is too good to throw out but for some reason won't sell.

It's offered at a very low price.

eg a bakery just before closing will offer a surprise bag for €4 instead of a shelf price of €12.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

One doesn't have to spend upwards of € 500 to buy a smartphone. We've never bought a new one.

Absolutely! I think I have become more aware of prices, and  do not always feel the need for  the top range of items.

As to oil- I like  Canola oil, or Canola /Olive oil mix.

5 hours ago, toBnruG said:

Welcome to 2022, where people prioritize buying / operating a smart-phone over putting food on the table. Maybe the people who don't have access to Whatsapp are the ones who really need the food? I don't mean to slam a well intended scheme but it I think it says something about where we are as a society.

And here we have the biggest problem with people's view on poverty.

Rather than actually investigating the reasons why people are on the poverty line and trying to find solutions to it people jump to the old "well if you can´t afford the basics, how can you afford such and such".

A smartphone is almost a necessity nowadays.

There was a Twitter thread last week where a nurse said that because of the rise in energy costs she sometimes had to go a day without food so that her daughter could eat.

Then along comes some MP and tells her she could buy a packet of Noodles from Asda for 50p and that would feed her and her daughter for a few days.No thought about why a nurse in full-time employment could not afford to feed her family but instantly on the attack and feeling superior which sadly seems to be the thing nowadays. Never mind that it is extremely embarrassing for a country when someone in full-time employment is expected to eat plain noodles just to survive.

It´s the same as when people complain that some people get more on benefits than they would by working,that to me doesn´t mean benefits are too high but that there is something seriously wrong with the wages many firms pay.

Why do companies making millions or even billions in profit get to pay their workers the minimum wage (often topped up by the govt in benefits)

The only people in 2022 who can afford living without a smartphone are retired German landlords. 

@AlexTr I wasn't trying to shame anybody for being in poverty. Never having owned a smartphone (and no, yourkeau, I'm neither retired nor a landlord) I don't know exactly what the purchasing and operating costs come to, but I know they cost the most to people who can't really afford them. High earners may well get them free from their employers (great way to keep them working around the clock instead of just during office hours), whilst people living from paycheck to paycheck generally have to pay into expensive contracts where the phone is "free" (economics 101 - nothing is free - this means the contract has to be more expensive to cover the cost of hardware) because they don't have the capital to buy one outright.

So anyway, I only intend to shame a society where something which should be a luxury accessory is increasingly becoming an essential item.

To be honest, I know better than most how important smartphones are today because I implement the day-to-day workarounds necessary not to have one. And knowing how important they are, I believe that governments should be providing a stipend to make them accessible to everybody without anybody having to choose between defaulting on their phone contract or feeding their kids.

Countries are cottoning on to basic needs like free condoms and free tampons. Why not free smartphones if they're so god-damn essential?

7 minutes ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Rossman has it in the Bio section. It’s yums too!

Rewe sells "Jeff's" where I live. It's not organic but it's palm-oil free.

1 hour ago, toBnruG said:

whilst people living from paycheck to paycheck generally have to pay into expensive contracts where the phone is "free"

I see you have never been poor so you have no clue. This is why you can afford not to have a smartphone. 

I owned this when I was broke (the previous version, ZTE Blade L5), it costs 40 euro: 

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5724294_-blade-l7-zte.html

5 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I see you have never been poor so you have no clue. This is why you can afford not to have a smartphone. 

I owned this when I was broke (the previous version, ZTE Blade L5), it costs 40 euro: 

Well that's really bad (16GB storage, 1GB RAM) for nowadays standards, but you do what you have to do.   A Realme C11 is 109 EUR brand new and it is a pretty decent phone.   Poor people often buy used items as well.   You can even get plenty of free things in Facebook groups in Berlin, not sure about other places.  But phones, laptops, TVs, washing machines, bicycles, etc are often requested and given.    There are plenty of people that believe in freecycling things.

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

No, don't link to a smartphone with only Android 6 - while that's the minimum requirement for banking apps at the moment, they won't run on that version for long.

--> better to get a smartphone with at least Android 10, they start at 55€ including shipping: https://geizhals.de/?cat=umtsover&xf=10063_10.0&sort=p&hloc=de&v=e&t=v

Sure, y'all are right, it's just an example. One can get a smartphone really cheap, that was my point. 

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Yet look at the Lidl Mcennedy Peanut butter...

McEnnedy Peanut Butter für 1,89€ von Lidl | Allelebensmittel.de

100gm more for €2 less.

Not a surprise many peoples attitude is fuck the environment.

I know what you mean but I can’t control what others do. I can only be responsible for my choices. It’s the same reason why I avoid buying meats or eggs where animal welfare did not factor in the sourcing. It means that I eat less meat, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Boggsdollocks said:

I know what you mean but I can’t control what others do. I can only be responsible for my choices. It’s the same reason why I avoid buying meats or eggs where animal welfare did not factor in the sourcing. It means that I eat less meat, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, all things considered.

I always buy freilandhaltung eggs but that´s it, I can´t afford to go to the butcher and buy meat there.

I´d happily buy sourced meat, bio vegetables, drive an EV etc but there´s no way I can afford it and until those sorts of products come into a price range that everyone can afford then the environment is fucked.

11 hours ago, Keleth said:

I always buy freilandhaltung eggs but that´s it, I can´t afford to go to the butcher and buy meat there.

I´d happily buy sourced meat, bio vegetables, drive an EV etc but there´s no way I can afford it and until those sorts of products come into a price range that everyone can afford then the environment is fucked.

This is why we need governments with the balls to tax the rich and to subsidise environmentally friendlier solutions for the poor across the board. Not just food on the table but ev's, public transport, home insulation, working from home, waste management etc, etc.

For me, the biggest power I have is at the ballot box and where I invest my money. Eating Bio etc barely makes a dent. Technology is the only thing that can save us now. We need to embrace it and invest in it. The fact that Germany (the west) is still burning so much oil, gas and brown coal in 2022 is nothing short of fucking embarrassing.

15 hours ago, Keleth said:

I believe we can all both consume good and healthy food without fucking the environment/animal welfare. 

Hopefully, there are a handful of startups working on lab-grown meat. This is the future. 

On 27/04/2022, 20:06:05, Keleth said:

I think you've got the right approach, though. I think people started selecting eggs more carefully some time ago after the plight of the chickens was reported in the media. I'm probably wrong but I think it's possible to get home-brand organic eggs and/or free-range eggs at competitive prices versus the others now. To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen anything other than free-range for months - I'll look harder next time. My point being, if people buy it then over time the industry catches up.
We changed to organic milk next, which was for certain significantly more expensive. But there, too, I've noticed increasing options for organic milks and the home-brand organics are cheaper than the big name brands which are not organic (or, actually, say nothing about where the milk comes from).

We stopped buying non-organic meat about half a year ago. That was (and still is) a very expensive change! The end result is, as others have said, we eat less meat now. The cold-cuts and wiener wurst are not so crazily expensive, but chicken is a real luxury now and beef... well the cows deserve better, so I don't care how much it costs, but I think the prices are only about 50% higher than the non-organic beef, which is more often than not produced from the lowest possible animal welfare standards.