What kind of cooking oil do you use?

108 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Yes.

We haven't deep fried in living memory, so a comparison is obviously a bit crap, but everyone has been keen on the airfried food, including the kids, and it uses very little oil generally. Kid#4 started making chips from fresh potatoes daily and that was a bit oil greedy (by my standards - 1l lasting over a year), but he's over that now ;) Food from the supermarket ready for oven baking or whatever just goes straight in and needs no addition.

Mine is a multicooker. I have been really pleased with it. 

@klingklang77 it does solve the oil problem, and everything tastes great. Expensive machines, though, so not a useful fix while budgeting.

I didn’t like my air fryer, so I sold it. It does the same thing as my convection oven. I will bake my wings sometimes and use baking powder to help it crisp up. 

I may give an air fryer a chance again. I’m moving for a job, so I have no idea what kind of kitchen I will have, but my budget will be better. Maybe they have better air fryers now? 

@AlexTr I wonder if Munich has the same thing. 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Just had lunch with the owner of an olive oil producer. He said last year had exceptional output, but prices are being raised and shortage of sunflower oil drives everything up.

https://www.olmais.com/

yeah, for my grandparents it was part of their living, for my parents (and us) the olive oil helps to pay for the house and lands upkeep. I just returned from there (couple km away from Proenca a nova). We all had a wonderful time and didn’t want to leave.. and I managed to convince my wife just a bit more to retire asap. 

8 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Some type of meat like entrecôte, beef filet or deer steak I cook in butter, so it gets a nice brown sauce: no oil can beat that 👻.

I sous vide my meat to get the best out of it for a reasonable price. Then you need to quickly sear it on high heat. I will often use butter with a splash of oil as to not burn the butter. A lot of people swear that mayo makes a good sear. I haven’t tried it yet. 

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Maybe they have better air fryers now? 

We have a Ninja, recommended by the cleaner at work who swears by hers.

It cooks very fast and everything tastes brilliant. Kid#4's fresh potato chips (fries) were taking a long time to cook, so were probably horrifically expensive and he's made two Simnel cakes in it now which took a while, but our Easter lamb pressure cooked for 30 minutes and airfried for 10 instead of 6 hours in a low gas oven. The thing I like is that it does all the things. It lives on the oven which we no longer use. I'm going to make a wonderbag to fit the inner pot for free slow cooking, and that will just finish it nicely.

It will depend on space in your new kitchen. Kid#1 was hoping for one now she has moved out of her shared house (15! - got a bit much...) but the tiny miners cottage she is now in has mini everything and the Ninja is just too big. The other similar appliances will also be large, I guess.

18 hours ago, Namu said:

. This utter waste of food should just stop. Seriously stop that shit. Stop wasting food.

It's easy saying than done. Even if all the europe stops the food purchase, the food will be wasted at the shop/lager, but it won't find its way to the needy. The problem is the logistics. You just can't move the unused perishable good efficiently across the continent. The food  move needs advance planning and commercially profitable demand to move it in time. 

1 hour ago, vivanco said:

It's easy saying than done. Even if all the europe stops the food purchase, the food will be wasted at the shop/lager, but it won't find its way to the needy. The problem is the logistics. You just can't move the unused perishable good efficiently across the continent. The food  move needs advance planning and commercially profitable demand to move it in time. 

Our local groceries pull food that is 'going bad'. It is collected by a local church that has a community-wide Whatsapp group and people can just pop in and get it. Free.

Everyone should be the change they want to see. Namu should be spearheading such groups nationwide. She seems very concerned.

On 21.4.2022, 17:41:41, yesterday said:

Keep on thinking to get an air fryer, they say you use up much less oil and you get that fried taste, anybody had any experience 

We've been using one for years, from Philips. Works great and fast results. Sure, fries taste differently, but for my taste, even better, as they are less oily. But I can imagine some people won't like them.

The frozen fries work the best, as they already have a small amount of oil and salt, so just throw them in!

Works also great for fishsticks, frozen Breze, and stuff like croquete or rissols.

You can also do it with sausages, but we prefer to cook them in other ways.

We pre-heat for 3-4 minutes and then just throw stuff in. We keep temperature at 165C for most of our stuff.

It's NOT a replacer for an oven, but it does certain things very fast, clean, no waste and more energy efficient.

4 hours ago, silty1 said:

Have heard good things about an app called too good to go which connects users to restaurants and stores with surplus food they would otherwise throw out

https://toogoodtogo.org/en/

Just a look at this app. Looks good. I’ll give a try soon. 

Next problem: an egg for pancake mix! I know a food store that sometimes offers single eggs for 28 cents. Sometimes you have to buy six -> boiled eggs all next week😉

The world's top palm-oil producer announced that it would ban exports of the commodity starting on Thursday, sending the prices of edible oils soaring.

Indonesia accounts for about half of the world's supply of palm oil, the world's most widely used vegetable oil. Palm oil is used for cooking and for the production of thousands of consumer products, including biscuits, detergents, and lipsticks.

the rest here

I hope the export ban causes the downstream manufacturers to seek sustainable alternatives. The decades-long raping of Indonesian and Malaysian jungles for palm plantations is unconscionable.

8 hours ago, Boggsdollocks said:

On 4/21/2022, 5:26:46, klingklang77 said:

On 4/21/2022, 5:33:10, Fietsrad said:

To my knowledge there is no plant that yields more oil per acre than palm trees. If you switch to soya oil for example you will need six times more crop area to harvest the same amount of oil. This is an unimaginable big peace of earth that would need to be dedicated to growing soya for oil production. So let's face it:

The only sustainable solution is stop consuming processed foods. 

My local Reform shop had 3 kinds of PB today, massively reduced, Bio etc. but all had palm oil. Rats. 

My experience of Reform is 'take the piss' prices. Eggs have just gone up to 3.69€ for 6 and a I paid 6€ for a small pack of Bulga wheat. Whilst we try to be ethical, current price increases are beyond our budget. As for palm oil we're always checking the ingredients of things and won't buy anything it in.

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Interesting. If the price rises too much and palm oil can be easily substituted then market forces dictate that the manufacturers using it would start looking for cheaper alternatives.

Palm oil production is an ecological disaster that involves clearing thousands of acres of trees.  I'm not sure why the retailers have not been able to switch supplies faster or at least get more supply of Rapeseed.  As it's generally healthier than sunflower oil, I've been using that for a few years and I buy a local produced one from the markets in Frankfurt.

I was expecting a flood of cheaper rapeseed oils given Germany exports the stuff but seems the hoarders and other idiots are making it harder for everyone again.

On 22/04/2022, 09:01:30, AlexTr said:

Our local groceries pull food that is 'going bad'. It is collected by a local church that has a community-wide Whatsapp group and people can just pop in and get it. Free.

Everyone should be the change they want to see. Namu should be spearheading such groups nationwide. She seems very concerned.

Welcome to 2022, where people prioritize buying / operating a smart-phone over putting food on the table. Maybe the people who don't have access to Whatsapp are the ones who really need the food? I don't mean to slam a well intended scheme but it I think it says something about where we are as a society.

We also use air fryer a lot even though there is an abundance of oil. 

We buy locally grown olive oil, but Israel produces only half of the amount of oil consumed (small country, high population density, not enough land for olive trees). The other half comes mostly from Italy and Spain.