What kind of cooking oil do you use?

108 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

€1,79 a Liter Rapsoel at ldil.

Why is cooking oil sold out? Most other goods seem to be available. White cheese, Hirtenkaese, was out at Ldil but I found some elsewhere.

Butter is usually available but the standard price is 2,09. It was 1,40 not long ago.

Cooking oil is sold out because most sunflower oil is from Ukraine. This has made people go for Rapeseed, or Canola, oil. What’s left is the expensive olive oil and other expensive oils. Germany can produce rapeseed and now is the season I think, so that’s probably why it is back (hopefully, I still need to check my Lidl). 

Some type of meat like entrecôte, beef filet or deer steak I cook in butter, so it gets a nice brown sauce: no oil can beat that 👻.

We are marching towards a SERIOUS hunger crisis (especially in the developing world) and you are whining about deep fried food being to expensive because you need litres (!!!!!) of oil for frying. This utter waste of food should just stop. Seriously stop that shit. Stop wasting food.

If you don't believe me inform yourselves:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1113802

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Only Portuguese olive oil. I can buy it in Munich, but the one I bring from Portugal is even better.

The 3 of us consume around 25-30L per year.

I bring it from my grandmother’s village, made from our own olives. I have around 16l at home at the moment.

1 hour ago, Namu said:

We are marching towards a SERIOUS hunger crisis (especially in the developing world) and you are whining about deep fried food being to expensive because you need litres (!!!!!) of oil for frying. This utter waste of food should just stop. Seriously stop that shit. Stop wasting food.

If you don't believe me inform yourselves:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1113802

No one is denying that there is a serious hunger crisis going on. I use the oil and it can’t be used after a certain point. I am not sitting around and throwing out lots of usable food. 

The title of the thread is cooking oil, not a hunger crisis. But thanks for your virtue signaling on a thread titled “what kind of cooking oil do you use?”. 

Used oil, fat, and other food waste, are collected by commercial businesses.

What do they do with the leftovers?

Turning things on its head, we will not knowingly use any product that has Palm Oil in it. Manufacturers are using more and more of the stuff because it's cheap even though the production is an environmental catastrophe and it does very slightly change the taste. As for normal oils, it's sunflower oil for frying and olive oil for cooking or salad dressings. We tend to buy bio oils so haven't been affected that much by lack of supply due to the stuff been more expensive anyway.

Does no one but me use roasted sesame oil for almost everything? Granted, I seldom fry anything, but when a bit of oil is required for sautéing veggies or marinating meat, I use roasted sesame almost every time. We've been eating non-meat meals five days per week and it does wonders for light sauté of onion and garlic for soup, returning the umami flavor depth you would usually get with meat.

13 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Does no one but me use roasted sesame oil for almost everything? Granted, I seldom fry anything, but when a bit of oil is required for sautéing veggies or marinating meat, I use roasted sesame almost every time. We've been eating non-meat meals five days per week and it does wonders for light sauté of onion and garlic for soup, returning the umami flavor depth you would usually get with meat.

I use that for Asian dishes usually. Or I will use it to sear tuna quickly. I also like it on my eggs with soy sauce. 

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

No one is denying that there is a serious hunger crisis going on. I use the oil and it can’t be used after a certain point. I am not sitting around and throwing out lots of usable food. 

The title of the thread is cooking oil, not a hunger crisis. But thanks for your virtue signaling on a thread titled “what kind of cooking oil do you use?”. 

Virtue signaling? Keep on wasting oil for deep frying because of your cravings then and just ignore the rest. 

One liter oil has about 8000 calories. Can keep hungry people alive with this for quite some time.

37 minutes ago, Namu said:

Virtue signaling? Keep on wasting oil for deep frying because of your cravings then and just ignore the rest. 

One liter oil has about 8000 calories. Can keep hungry people alive with this for quite some time.

Oh, so you never eat deep fried foods? 🙄🤣 

I don’t often deep fry. In fact I haven’t since about 2020. Feeding people just oil isn’t going to prevent starvation. They will be malnourished and that will lead to other problems. 

Again, please read the thread title: “What kind of cooking oil do you use?”. 

We all try to do our part, so stop shaming people because they have fried chicken wings once or twice a year. 

I have worked in the food industry and studied restaurant management. Even the eco-friendly places don’t get it perfect every time. So spare me with your perfect-ness. 🙄

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Turning things on its head, we will not knowingly use any product that has Palm Oil in it. Manufacturers are using more and more of the stuff because it's cheap even though the production is an environmental catastrophe and it does very slightly change the taste. As for normal oils, it's sunflower oil for frying and olive oil for cooking or salad dressings. We tend to buy bio oils so haven't been affected that much by lack of supply due to the stuff been more expensive anyway.

Palm oil is in so many products, it could be hard to avoid. Very bad. It might be given another name or used in another form. Seems crazy that using it is 'better' or cheaper than local products.

I try to eat food with a low level of Verarbeitung/processing.

I use sunflower oil my self, with olive oil ( From Lake Garda, very tasty ), for salads and other stuff, sometimes I use the hot chilli oil to spice things up. Of course using up 8000 calories on a fry up is bad - hang on a sec, I just going down MacDonalds now ... Nothing wrong with that

Keep on thinking to get an air fryer, they say you use up much less oil and you get that fried taste, anybody had any experience 

16 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Palm oil is in so many products, it could be hard to avoid. Very bad. It might be given another name or used in another form. Seems crazy that using it is 'better' or cheaper than local products.

I try to eat food with a low level of Verarbeitung/processing.

It can be, products just cost more. The alternative is cooking / baking yourself. for example my wife made Stollen for Christmas, cost a lot less, had no Palm oil and tasted great, just a bit of faff.

19 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Oh, so you never eat deep fried foods? 🙄🤣 

I don’t often deep fry. In fact I haven’t since about 2020. Feeding people just oil isn’t going to prevent starvation. They will be malnourished and that will lead to other problems. 

Again, please read the thread title: “What kind of cooking oil do you use?”. 

We all try to do our part, so stop shaming people because they have fried chicken wings once or twice a year. 

I have worked in the food industry and studied restaurant management. Even the eco-friendly places don’t get it perfect every time. So spare me with your perfect-ness. 🙄

This has nothing to do with perfectness. It’s just about human decency. When we know that the world is moving towards a massive hunger crisis we do not waste essential foods such as oil for deep frying. 

For your information (to remember next time when you toss your oil):

Caritas:

Dabei braucht es nicht viel, um Menschen vor dem Verhungern zu retten: Erdnussbutter, Milchpulver, Öl und Zucker.

7 minutes ago, Namu said:

This has nothing to do with perfectness. It’s just about human decency. When we know that the world is moving towards a massive hunger crisis we do not waste essential foods such as oil for deep frying. 

For your information (to remember next time when you toss your oil):

Caritas:

Dabei braucht es nicht viel, um Menschen vor dem Verhungern zu retten: Erdnussbutter, Milchpulver, Öl und Zucker.

My oil has been used; I’m not tossing it. In fact, I included a link that explains to to get more use of your oil. 

Why don’t you go protest against bigger businesses that use far more oil for deep frying and not concentrate on one person who seldom deep fries. 

I’m sure everyone on this thread has been to fast food places and had deep fried foods. You, too. At the moment, I actually can’t afford to go out and eat much, so I make things at home. It’s all relative. Like I said I haven’t deep fried at home since 2020. 

I don’t need your sources from Caritas. Stop singling me out. I have enough human decency and don’t appreciate your condescension. 

3 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I bring it from my grandmother’s village, made from our own olives. I have around 16l at home at the moment.

Just had lunch with the owner of an olive oil producer. He said last year had exceptional output, but prices are being raised and shortage of sunflower oil drives everything up.

https://www.olmais.com/

31 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

My oil has been used; I’m not tossing it. In fact, I included a link that explains to to get more use of your oil. 

Why don’t you go protest against bigger businesses that use far more oil for deep frying and not concentrate on one person who seldom deep fries. 

I’m sure everyone on this thread has been to fast food places and had deep fried foods. You, too. At the moment, I actually can’t afford to go out and eat much, so I make things at home. It’s all relative. Like I said I haven’t deep fried at home since 2020. 

I don’t need your sources from Caritas. Stop singling me out. I have enough human decency and don’t appreciate your condescension. 

In our town, we have recycling stations for old cooking oil so that it gets converted into fuel oil. They even gave us cute little containers for it.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Keep on thinking to get an air fryer, they say you use up much less oil and you get that fried taste, anybody had any experience 

Yes.

We haven't deep fried in living memory, so a comparison is obviously a bit crap, but everyone has been keen on the airfried food, including the kids, and it uses very little oil generally. Kid#4 started making chips from fresh potatoes daily and that was a bit oil greedy (by my standards - 1l lasting over a year), but he's over that now ;) Food from the supermarket ready for oven baking or whatever just goes straight in and needs no addition.

Mine is a multicooker. I have been really pleased with it. 

@klingklang77 it does solve the oil problem, and everything tastes great. Expensive machines, though, so not a useful fix while budgeting.