What kind of cooking oil do you use?

108 posts in this topic

@arunadasi: It all depends on how the oil is produced. I use only organic cold pressed sunflower seed oil which is high in unsaturated fats and other healthy things and tastes wonderfully of sunflower seeds.

For me it's about obtaining a balanced diet and it's a fact that eating less bad fats (LDL Cholesterol) like butter and eating more good fats (HDL Cholesterol) like olive oil for example are a far healthier option but there are few benefits if bad fats were cut out of the diet altogether, that's why I still use butter and eat bacon but all in moderation.

But butter is not a bad fat. That is the point of my post. I have researched fats very thoroughly over the last 10 years or so. I used to have a coconut oil business. We have been fed a lot of bullshit regarding saturated fats and heart disease (and I too used to believe it). Which of course doesn't mean you have to overload on butter; just that it's not one of the baddies. It's all the other way around.

It really depends on what I am cooking. Each oil has it's own distinct flavour that adds to the final taste of the meal.

I use olive oil to fry beef and lamb (mincemeat and steaks).

To fry pork or chicken I use sunflower oil. However, chicken being a very dry meat, I tend to use a hard vegetable fat to keep it succulent and juicy.

If I am cooking a breaded piece of meat such as a schnitzel, chicken nuggets or cordon bleu, then I use a hard vegetable fat.

lot of people are using Olive oil . If pure it is indeed good, but what is the assurance that the olive oil which one uses is not adulterated with some cheap unhealthy neutral oil http://abcnews.go.com/Business/olive-oil-fraud-rampant-trade-agency-finds/story?id=20360276

I use olive oil for most Western things occasionally butter, as long as it doesn't have to be done at a really high temperature, then canola. For Asian stuff I use butter for lower temp frying canola or sunflower seed. I use pork fat for a lot of things too. To flavour things I use extra-virgin olive oil and sesame seed oil.

Rapsoel alert, I just bought a liter at Ldil, found some at last after looking for weeks.

Maximum per customer three liters. I bought one liter, should last about a year😉

2 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Rapsoel alert, I just bought a liter at Ldil, found some at last after looking for weeks.

Maximum per customer three liters. I bought one liter, should last about a year😉

Seems fresh stock have arrived. Hopefully the stocks are sufficient to offset the increased rush... 

8 minutes ago, vivanco said:

Seems fresh stock have arrived. Hopefully the stocks are sufficient to offset the increased rush... 

and hoarders.

Himself said he would have to run a Pommes Imbiss to use 3 liters.

Back on Crete end of next week. Tons of olive oil in our kitchen. Locals give us their own olive oil. Never a need to buy. They give us it in old plastic water bottles. Doesn't look wonderful but it does the trick. Tourists buy in lovely bottles!

Here- like with Luke - rapeseed oil or sunflower oil - it lasts long enough. 

Every brand of olive oil I bought in France has tasted bitter and horrid (rancid ??) the last three or four years. I have given up and switched to grape seed oil for cooking. Walnut for salad dressings and pestos (see happy thread).

23 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

My bottle of rapeseed oil is 0,75L. Lasts about 1 month. 

My bottle of Jever lasted about 3 minutes a few minutes ago. It went down like oil! ( Not sure which oil, though!)😂

19 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

What was the cost? I found a liter at Edeka two weeks ago and it was 5 Euros. 

I really want to deep fry some chicken wings and my deep fryer needs at least 1-1.5 liters to work. I have been having a serious craving for (buffalo, but I did make a mango habanero hot sauce, so I can do that instead) wings and it won’t go away. But it’s not worth it if it costs 10 Euro just to fry them. 

As a matter of interest, how long can you strain, store, and reuse oil from a fryer?  Am being pressured into deep fryer, but do not like the idea of waste, especially as oil is in short supply at the moment.  

€1,79 a Liter Rapsoel at ldil.

Why is cooking oil sold out? Most other goods seem to be available. White cheese, Hirtenkaese, was out at Ldil but I found some elsewhere.

Butter is usually available but the standard price is 2,09. It was 1,40 not long ago.

9 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

As a matter of interest, how long can you strain, store, and reuse oil from a fryer?  Am being pressured into deep fryer, but do not like the idea of waste, especially as oil is in short supply at the moment.  

This link is helpful:

https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil

I tend to strain it and see how it looks after a while. I don’t usually drag out the deep fat fryer for anything besides wings or potato skins. So I probably use it twice? A bit wasteful, but the taste gets affected. 

Going to check out my local Lidl soon. 

Only Portuguese olive oil. I can buy it in Munich, but the one I bring from Portugal is even better.

The 3 of us consume around 25-30L per year.