What kind of cooking oil do you use?

105 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :D ,

I change from Sunflower-seeds oil to Raps oil, because I thought is healthier.

Today I did some internet research and I found out that Raps oil is not really healthier...and in North America known as Canola oil which is made from raps seeds that were genetically modified. What I read is that in general all the raps oil for eating is genetically modified because otherwise is toxic and previously was used only in the industry.

I probably switch back to Sunflower oil which I also read is not so healthy, but in comparisons with raps is better.

Extra virgin olive oil I use pure on salads, but it doesn't work for cooking. The olive oil for cooking is also with changed structure...

Coconut oil or avocado oil is too expensive:(

In some articles I even read butter is better than all the vegetables oils...but the information is mixed.

Also I read in one place that yes Ghee is healthier but in small quantities.

Pretty confusing or :rolleyes: That's why I wanted to ask you what cooking oil do you use and why. Mentioning brands that could be found on the German market will be appreciated.

Thank you!

I use rapeseed oil, Olive Oil, Peanut Oil and Sesame oil, the last 2 mainly for stirs frys and generally cooking with woks.

Rapeseed I would use to fry an egg for example as it has pretty much a neutral taste and Olive Oil is a general purpose oil, especially good for marinating anything for grilling with the exception of indian food I and naturally for salad dressings.

Butter, Ghee or clarified butter as some know should only be used sparingly and definitely not as a replacement for oils like Olive Oil unless you want to increase your chances of cardiovascular disease.

I think your getting a little confused with what you're reading.

Today in several countries around the world rapeseed oil is known as canola oil, whereas here in the UK, we still call it ‘rapeseed oil’. In the states however, up to 93 per cent of canola oil has now been genetically modified to make it more resistant to pesticides but all British produced rapeseed oil is GM free.

source

I like peanut oil for frying as it has a high smoke point, and no transfer of taste. So, you can fry fish in it one day, filter it and then fry potatoes, without the potatoes tasting like fish.

For salads I use olive oil, sesame oil and walnut oils.

Extra virgin olive oil I use pure on salads, but it doesn't work for cooking.

It is perfectly fine for cooking. Its smoking point is about 210 C, when 180 is ideal for frying. And it is healthier than other types of oil. But it is also quite expensive.

One of the sources you can read about olive oil and frying :

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/whats-cooking-with-olive-oil/frying-with-olive-oil/30470

Olive Oil mostly for salads and frying, sometimes sunflower oil (sweet dishes like pancakes or cakes, some salads) or walnut oil (especially for lamb's lettuce).

Butter, Ghee or clarified butter as some know should only be used sparingly ...unless you want to increase your chances of cardiovascular disease.

source

This is a myth; the rumour that saturated fat causes cardiovascular disease is outdated; study after study has been done and no correlation has been found.

I use olive oil for Western foods and salads, coconut oil for Eastern, butter for eggs.

Surely German Rapsoel is not GM. You can also buy bio cold pressed, if you want.

And I thought all this stuff about butter usw being so bad was rather out of date?

So roast potatoes in bio goose fat.

Though I mostly use only olive oil.

And I thought all this stuff about butter usw being so bad was rather out of date?

Exactly.

Thank you for the replies!

I decided to switch back sunflower seeds oil and butter for cooking and for salads, of course, extra virgin olive oil:)

For all the people using raps oil may be is good to research the topic more...I'm not talking only about GMO, because I also used German raps oil with no GMO.

Now many studies proved that actually butter is not so bad, even it is said that it is better than vegetable oils so it's worth further researching :)

After all we all just want to live healthier lives.

Thank you for taking part!

I'd advise against sunflower oil; it's highly processed and really not veryhealthy -- if it's health benefits you are looking for. I stopped using it years ago.

This is a myth; the rumour that saturated fat causes cardiovascular disease is outdated; study after study has been done and no correlation has been found.

I use olive oil for Western foods and salads, coconut oil for Eastern, butter for eggs.

@arunadasi

Did you read my sentence properly, "sparingly" but not as a replacement for oils like Olive oils for cooking.

What you seem to imply is that its okay to eat as much butter and other saturated fat products cause there is no correlation with heart disease, well please be my guest but I'd prefer to understand and know what I eat.

For me it's about obtaining a balanced diet and it's a fact that eating less bad fats (LDL Cholesterol) like butter and eating more good fats (HDL Cholesterol) like olive oil for example are a far healthier option but there are few benefits if bad fats were cut out of the diet altogether, that's why I still use butter and eat bacon but all in moderation.

Olive oil for "colder" frying and making pasta and pasta sauces and so on. Sunflower or canola for higher-temperature frying, like searing steak in a pan, and for dishes in which I don't want the olive oil flavour. Sesame oil for flavour. I've started going back to butter for some things.