Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wire transfer from Germany to Canada

18 posts in this topic

I want to make a wire transfer from Postbank to TD Canada Trust.

Postbank told me that they did not use SWIFT for Canada, instead, they use a number consisting of

4-digit branch number and 5-digit transit code. However the information I got from TD was the following:

Branch Number: 01972

Institution Number: 004

Account Number: a 7-digit number

The branch number is 5-digit, not 4-digit. If the branch number is the transit code, then, what is the branch number?

Has anyone done this before?

The branch number may not need the 0 infront, which would make it a 4 digit number. Alternately, have you looked into using a service like XE trade? I've used it several times to transfer money easily internationally.

Does XE charge any fees? I checked their website, it seems that they don't, but I want to make sure that there's no extra fees.

I use XE for transfers to/from my Cdn account, and the "leakage" is significantly less than a normal transfer when I last checked. They may charge something small depending on the method of transfer you use, but it is small, and the FX rates you get are better than through the bank (at least in my experience). You will see what the final received amount is before committing to the transfer. in case you have a better deal elsewhere.

NFLDer

Does XE charge any fees?

It works like this: you want to transfer, say, $CAD 1234.56 to your Canadian account and want to pay in Euros. XETrade will give you an all-inclusive quote for, say €800.07.

If you accept it, then the deal's closed. You do a regular Germany-to-Germany wire transfer (Überweisung) to one of XETrade's German accounts for €800.07. This transfer, as all Germany-to-Germany-transfers, is typically free. Once they've received it, they will deposit $CAD 1234.56 into your Canadian account.

To get the best quoted price, choose ACH/EFT for the deposit into your Canadian account, as this is free. If you choose a wire transfer, you'll pay about €15 extra.

I have already moved back to Canada. When I open an account at XE, should I say I live in Canada or Germany?

Will my answer make any difference?

I just opened an account with XE Trade and tried to fill out the bank account details. For the transit number, I was told that it was a combination of 3-digit institution number and 5-digit branch number. XE trade told me that the institution number came first, but my friend told me that when he did wire transfer from other countries to Canada, the branch number came first. Which one came first when you guys made the transaction? I have my account with TD.

If there are any XE experts would be grateful to know ...

Someone needs to transfer me a 5 figure sum in the near future ... can some else transfer money into my XE account? (not that I have one yet!) or should I ask them to set one up?

(transfer is from UK if that make a difference)

Cheers

I tried writing to XE and eventually got a standard reply that didn't actually answer the question... so if anyone on her can please confirm before I start the process of going to the post office for ident. I would be really grateful.

Can some else (in UK) transfer money into my XE account? 

Things may have changed in the meantime, but afaik an xe.com trading account isn't like a bank account that other people can transfer money into.  Individuals set up an account to make currency transactions between two bank accounts, both of which are owned by the same person, ie one account in Ameristan and another in Germany.  To set up the account you have to jump through a few hoops to prove that you are legit and that both accounts actually belong to you. Depending on how much ass-dragging your bank puts on, it can take a while, but once set up the trading is pretty simple. I notice that since the trading site was taken over by Western Union the rates are not as good. Also: NEVER initiate a trade on the weekend. The rates are terrible then.

That's what I feared ... thanks for that.

I guess I'm stuck with an International bank transfer.

That's what I feared ... thanks for that.

I guess I'm stuck with an International bank transfer.