Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Found an apartment in Nuremberg but ...

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody,

I am finding my self in a bit of confusion. I moved to Nuremberg a year ago for work. Few months back my wife joined me and we started looking for 2 room apartment. We were looking in the north of Nuremberg (Maxfeld, Schoppershof, St. Johanis, Rennweg) as it is more close to my office but after around 12+ visits and not getting 4-5 apartments which we liked (i feel owners here dont prefer foreigners even though i have above average salary), i started looking in Südstadt and got one there on first visit. The apartment is like 10 mins walk from U-bahn Aufseßplatz.

The apartment is really nice and rent is ok (not high and little above average). But after searching a bit in Toytown, i found out that most people advise here to avoid Südstadt because of reasons they dont clearly mention. Since i will be moving with my wife so i am just getting anxious if we are making the right decision by moving there. Are there really places in Nürnberg which are unsafe or not good to live with family?? I really liked the apartment and the building but reading some negative opinions about this area gave me little knots in the stomach.

Aufseßplatz is fine - I wouldn't worry about it if you like the place. It's a bit "downmarket", that's all.

Südstadt has more of a gritty, working-class vibe than the northern part of Nürnberg, but it's not unsafe. In fact, I find Südstadt has its own charm, plus if the building is well-cared for and the location otherwise good (near to work and to public transport), then go for it. No need to worry.

Easier to get good groceries too. Loaded with Turkish shops which have much better produce than German supermarkets.

Of course if you don't want to live in a 20% Turkish neighbourhood it becomes less attractive