How to find Wagon number on ICE train

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm really going crazy now. I've been in Germany for 2 years without being able to know how to find the wagon for a reserved seat on ICE. When I get into the train I can't find any signs that help me at all! I found this video on youtube that shows someone walking inside ICE, can you please tell me where I can find the signs that help me find my wagon?

Vide:

Thanks!

there is lots of info in German here.

depending on the station there might be some DB staff standing around and you can also always ask one of them?

I only watched the first minute of the video, and the signs are not visible as the person is holding the camera at walking height. The wagon nos. are in the digital signs, both next to the doors outside the trains and inside at the start of each wagon, up the top, in red lettering - the sign swhich tell you things like what stops are coming up, speed the train is travelling at, etc. Also there is a panel next to the doors, telling you the next stop and which side to exit on. The wagon no is on those too. This may not be correct for every sign in every train, but usually that's where you find the info.

Here's an example (not red...):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5_vcpDclZrA/TrTuCn0qzNI/AAAAAAAAAJo/ZUQd51Z5mvA/w506-h380/05.11.11%252B-%252B1

The wagon no. is 24.

And a red one, showing wagon #8:

mg0300.jpg

(not certain that this one is an ICE, but the signs are similar)

hmm then as ruapehu points out look on the wagon doors. also the DB staff should able to point you in the right direction if you show your ticket with the seat number on to them, no German required :D

I linked a picture from the video (minute 1:29): http://d.pr/i/998X

I put a red arrow to a digital screen, is that number the wagon number? Because it's only a number without an icon for a wagon above it!

Found this on Google, about half way down.

http://stevenglassman.de/2013/03/18/ice-ice-baby/

So now as I understood although this screen doesn't have the train icon above the number it's actually the wagon number http://d.pr/i/998X

I have one last very stupid question. I found this pic: ice-cabin-21.jpg

Of course one can clearly see that it has the wagon number on the screen, but my stupid question is: considering the screen is at an exit door does that mean the wagon number is for the cabine I'm in OR for the cabine I'm about to enter?!

That screen is for the wagon you're actually in. And BTW, there are no stupid questions. I'm sure there are others who will profit from your questions!

Looking at the Wagenstandsanzeiger on the platform to see the location of the wagon is a good idea, because it's no fun or sometimes impossible to go trough a packed train until you reach your reserved seat. It does happen however that you hear the announcement "Dieser Zug verkehrt heute mit umgekehrter Wagenreihung", which means the sequence of wagons is inverse to the plan.

It might depend on the ICE model, but information on the train is displayed in three different places: There's a display on the exterior of the train next to each door, with ICE number, destination, itinerary, and in the upper right corner, the wagon number. I'm not sure whether this wagon number is accompanied by the symbol of a wagon or the word Wagen, but in any case it's the number in the upper right corner of the sign. You'll see the same kind of display when taking the two steps into the train on the left or right interior separating element. Then, there's the display above the doors inside the wagons, of which you posted a picture, and it shows the number of the wagon you are in.

BTW, I've heard this question many times when travelling, so you are not the only one who is wondering, makaki.

Hi guys,

I'm really going crazy now. I've been in Germany for 2 years without being able to know how to find the wagon for a reserved seat on ICE. When I get into the train I can't find any signs that help me at all! I found this video on youtube that shows someone walking inside ICE, can you please tell me where I can find the signs that help me find my wagon?

Vide:

Thanks!

Thank you so much, but unfortunitly I don't speak German.

Why not? Two years in the country and you've not even thought of getting the basics?

"Entschuldigung. Wo ist mein Sitz? Das ist meine Karte hier." And then show the DB employee your ticket.

Maybe it's worth noting that you do not have to reserve a seat for ICE train. You can save 4 euro and walk into any wagon, just watch if it's a correct class (1 or 2 Klasse). There you watch for electronic displays above the seats which show if this seat is reserved and for which route. If electronic display is off then this seat is free.

For example, you have a ticket for Berlin-Nürnberg route. The display above some seat shows that it is reserved on Würzburg-Nürnberg route which is the last 30 minutes of your route. You can decide if you want to look for other seat or sit here till Würzburg and then move elsewhere/to restaurant.

The frollein has it.

But last year I took a DB train to Poland (not ICE I guess) and it came on a different platform to normal for some reason. Therefore the Wagenstandsanzeiger, which is fixed for each platform, did not cover it. I took a punt on where to stand and as for the 'digital diplays" they might also be a piece of paper stuck to the carriage window with sticky tape. In other words, you may be improvising. But it ain't hard.

post-25561-13945386620696.jpg

On entering the station look for the above display and check your time or check the yellow timetable. Go to the platform and reassure yourself your in the right one. If it had changes announcements will be made...

Today we will be taking the ICE at 10am to Munich from Hamburg and getting off in Berlin.

post-25561-13945386620696.jpg

Today we will be taking the ICE at 10am to Munich from Hamburg and getting off in Berlin...

...and bringing me back a corned beef sammich :)