Kulmbach Ancestry Search

3 posts in this topic

While in Munich this past Christmas, I was able to track down the general location of my German ancestors. The information I discovered listed their place of birth at Kulmbach, Bavaria, Germany. I have found this in multiple instances so am nearly positive this is the location. I didn't have time to visit Kulmbach when I was there in December, but will be back in April and I am hoping to make a trip. I would like to gather as much information as possible before I head to Germany, but I'm hitting some road blocks. I am hoping someone might read this who can help me. I want to be able to try and visit where my family is actually from, and I realize that a birth record that lists Kulmbach could be the city of Kulmbach or the surrounding area.

Here is what I know:

Henry William Smith (Americanized name) born in Kulmbach ( maybe January) 1844. His German last name was Schmidt and probably Henry was Heinrich Wilhelm or something similar. He was born to Margaret (Margretta or different spelling) Grampp and Johann Peter Schmidt (not sure of German spellings of these).

Any help, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrea

You might try to see whether there are records of their births either at the Standesamt (even though I doubt it) or the Church registers. It might be worth the effort of phoning the local priest and ask whether they still have records.