Only in America...

1,985 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Clive2677 said:

How many white police persons in the US who have murdered Hispanic or other races have been found guilty?   

Not enough, but it's getting better.  Of course, for it to get better, more people of color have to die. :(

Some of those poor children will suffer unimaginable mental trauma over this tragedy, so sad.

Seems it wasn't deadly enough to make the headlines, only 1 fatality, he died tackling one of the shooters.

A sad state of affairs...

36 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Seems it wasn't deadly enough to make the headlines, only 1 fatality, he died tackling one of the shooters.

I'm sorry. It is all over the news. Along with the mentally ill 9 year old who had access to a loaded gun and shot his mother.

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm sorry. It is all over the news. Along with the mentally ill 9 year old who had access to a loaded gun and shot his mother.

And now he's being charged with murder as well as using a weapon during a felony.

He's 9 and mentally ill. What sort of legal system is there in Michigan?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/9-year-old-boy-charged-mother-s-shooting-death-michigan-n1004096

We will have wait for a few more details. But, a 9 year old knows right from wrong. What do you do if he says, "I planned it and I killed her on purpose' ?

I don't think they will charge him as an adult, though.

1 hour ago, tor said:

We will have wait for a few more details. But, a 9 year old knows right from wrong. What do you do if he says, "I planned it and I killed her on purpose' ?

Knowing the difference between right and wrong does not imply the maturity required to understand the consequences.

That is why we have the distinction between "adults" and "children".

of course, But charges have been filed which means it was not an accident. that's what  I was referring to.

A California teacher on medical leave for breast cancer treatment has to pay for not only her medical bills, but for the substitute who is teaching her students while she’s out of the classroom.

Due to a state policy, all teachers receive ten days of paid sick leave. Anything beyond that, for another 100 sick days, the cost of the substitute teacher will be deducted from the teachers salary.

Beyond that, teachers are able to pull from a bank of donated time, up to 85 days without a deduction from their paycheck.

The average daily cost for a substitute in San Francisco is $203.16, says school district spokeswoman Laura Dudnick.

The average teacher salary in the district $82,024.27, not including benefits. The national average public school teacher salary in the US is $58,353.

“This reflects California Education Code language related to extended sick leave that applies to all other school districts in California,” Ms Dudnick said, in a statement referring to the 1976 law the policy is rooted in.

“This is not unique to San Francisco. This is not a district-only rule.”

The teacher is choosing to remain anonymous to protect her privacy during a trying time, but district parents are coming forward to contest what they see as an unfair policy.

District parent Elia Hernandez told CNN: “She’s an incredible teacher and that’s not fair. That’s crazy!” regarding the policy. Another parent, Abby Hipps, said: “She’s one of the best teachers. It’s terrible.”

Another teacher in the district was concerned about how this policy would affect her if she became ill. “It makes me worry if that were to happen to me, I have to plan accordingly and that’s not fair you know.”

An American pastor convicted of raping his adoptive daughter over a period of several years, starting when she was just 14 years old, was facing life in prison after being found guilty of rape, incest, and sexual battery by an authority figure.

Instead, the judge gave him 12 years because he's a "man of God".

There are no words to express my disgust.

An 8-year-old boy found a gun at a college baseball game in Tennessee and accidentally shot his mother while thinking that it was a toy, police say.

The incident happened at a game between Memphis and UT Martin on Tuesday when the boy found the unsecured weapon in an antique car that was on display at Millington USA Stadium in Millington, Tennessee.

The mother, who was not identified, was sent to a hospital in critical condition. She was later upgraded to stable condition, according to WHBQ in Memphis.

"The juvenile believed it was a toy gun,” Millington police chief Mark Dunbar told reporters. “He picked the gun up, pulled the trigger and accidentally shot his mother. It was an accident, pure and simple.”

Police identified the owner of the gun as 76-year-old Charles McFarland. According to Good Morning America, McFarland has been charged with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon, and no bond has been set as of yet.

The game was canceled and the stadium was evacuated as it became an active crime scene.

On 5/15/2019, 11:01:30, El Jeffo said:

An American pastor convicted of raping his adoptive daughter over a period of several years, starting when she was just 14 years old, was facing life in prison after being found guilty of rape, incest, and sexual battery by an authority figure.

Man follows a link to "metro.co.uk" which is a British tabloid and becomes shocked and disgusted by sensational reporting about the underclass in the US.   

While the behavior described in the article is as reviled by anyone reading, as much as punching a baby or torturing a cute little kitten would be, the man, apparently lacking self-awareness, goes into full virtue signal mode as if he is courageously articulating a correct but infrequently held view.    A warm feeling of smugness and moral superiority ensues.  

So, just to be clear, Loretta - are you pro-rape? Or is it pro-incest? Or maybe pro-theocracy? Or D) all of the above (and most likely your high school GPA)?

Sorry, but your point is as clear as your identity as an Estonian female at this juncture.

On 5/11/2019, 1:52:35, tor said:

I don't think they will charge him as an adult, though.

I didn´t know right from wrong at that age..except that I would never have dreamed  of killing anyone. I wasn´t nice to ants , though. I had my vicious phase...pouring hot water over the red ants in the garden. Kids can be vicious, me included.

16 hours ago, jeba said:

Didn´t know that they still use Roman numerals in the US

arabic numerals.jpg

They use Indian numerals, but the guy that came up with this cheap trick called them arabic.

On 5/15/2019, 11:01:30, El Jeffo said:

Adopted daughter and incest don't mix together.

Incest is forbidden for genetic reasons, not for morality reasons.