Only in America...

2,401 posts in this topic

NC Town Rejects Solar Farm Because They ‘Suck Up All The Energy From The Sun’

A town in North Carolina has rejected a proposal for a solar farm after residents expressed fear and distrust of solar panels.

During the public comment period preceding the rezoning vote that would allow for the solar farm, citizens expressed distrust and fear of the solar panels.

One resident, Bobby Mann, said that businesses would stop going to Woodland, and the community would suffer as a result, because the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun, according to the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald.

Yet another food recall - canned corn.

Del Monte Foods has recalled 64,242 cases of a particular type of canned corn due to a concern that it could cause “life-threatening illness” if eaten.

The recalled products are 15.25-ounce (432-gram) cans of Fiesta Corn Seasoned with Red & Green Peppers, according to an announcement issued by the FDA on December 11. The affected products have the UPC number 24000 02770 on the label, as well as a range of "best if used by" dates from August 14, 2021, to Sept 23, 2021. (To see a complete list of the specific "best if used by" dates to be on the lookout for, click here.) No other Del Monte products are involved in the recall.

The reason these specific products were recalled is because they were underprocessed, per the FDA alert. “These deviations were part of the commercial sterilization process and could result in contamination by spoilage organisms or pathogens, which could lead to life-threatening illness if consumed,” the FDA says. The possibly contaminated cans were distributed to stores (including Walmart and Target) in 25 states and 12 international locations, the agency says. Currently, there have been no reported illnesses linked to this recall.

more

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Stole my idea he did. For years I‘ve thrown glitter and farted 5 times when my trousers were removed. 

Brilliant my arse. 

Just now, Cammiede said:

Brilliant = my arse. 

FIFY

1 hour ago, Cammiede said:

Stole my idea he did. For years I‘ve thrown glitter and farted 5 times when my trousers were removed. 

oh dear...you're doing it wrong - you gotta save the farts to enhance the afterglow ;)

More bad turkey -

More than 200 people from across the United States have fallen ill, 84 of them hospitalized, from an ongoing salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey products that prompted a second voluntary recall on Friday, the U.S. government said.

The latest food-safety advisory from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta came as millions of Americans planned their Christmas holiday menus, updating a notice for contaminated turkey issued in early November.

Since then, 52 more people in 26 states and the District of Columbia have become sick from salmonella-tainted turkey, bringing the total number of documented cases to 216 in 38 states and the district. One death from the outbreak, which began in October, was reported in California, the CDC said.

The Public Health Agency of Canada has reported an additional 22 turkey-related salmonella infections in four provinces - British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and New Brunswick - believed to be linked to the U.S. outbreak.

The common strain of salmonella associated with the illnesses has been identified in various raw turkey products, including ground turkey, turkey patties, live turkeys and raw turkey pet food, indicating it may be widespread in the turkey industry.

Screw the wall. We need better food protection.

And the UK wants to do a trade deal with the US that will loosen current EU based food safety standards. Fuck that

Sadly, this isn't really an 'only in America' story.  Maybe it's just a 'mostly in America' story.

Image may contain: text

To what extent are ordinary people affected by the shutdown? E. g. will they not get tax refunds, salaries  etc.? Will motorways still be cleared from snow? Will subsidies e. g. to farmers not be paid?

???

for the departments affected,  no, no one is being paid.  some on are on furlough, others are deemed "essential" and forced to work without pay.  TSA is experiencing a rash of "sick workers" righ about now - they are forced to work but have not been paid in two weeks.  So in that case specifically, some travelers might experience longer delays getting through security screenings.  

ironic given the whole shutdown is being pitched as a "security" issue

go check the NY times to get a rundown of which departments are affected, etc.  And note the 800k employees directly affected by the shut down are actually "ordinary people" too.

eta: no tax refunds will be issued til the gov is fully running again.  but you still have to pay on time ;)

2 hours ago, jeba said:

To what extent are ordinary people affected by the shutdown? E. g. will they not get tax refunds, salaries  etc.?

1) Depending on who you choose to call "ordinary people", the extent is both direct and indirect but the impact is there

2) Depending on the length of the shutdown, tax refunds will be delayed (though paid at some time), no help is given to people who are filing under the new tax laws - which can impact just how much money they will get back.  Also, people who plan on getting refunds in January / February typically either pay down Christmas debt or spend the refund on consumer purchases ... the latter impacting all the "ordinary" shopkeepers / street vendors / small businesses that count on this revenue to help them out this time of year

3) Right now, salaries are up in the air (deferment and payout schemes) so I don't think we really know.  What is becoming apparent is that for these "ordinary people" who are living close to the line,they can't make their debt payments - such as mortgages, school loans, children's care, etc. -  and this will have a ripple effect throughout the economy in terms of lending and impact on other peoples finances (again as well as local businesses that might want customers to buy / eat at their establishments

4) Again, for "ordinary people" who might have wanted to have a vacation and visit a national monument / park, their trips are essentially derailed due to either direct closure or unlawful entry of people who are trashing places - same for tourism dollars for many local providers

I believe that motorways will be cleared due to that being mostly in State control (at least in the couple that I've lived in) and I have no idea on subsidies (except to Native American Indians that are being withheld, as well a  decrease / delay in funding for lower income women with children (WIC) that the news reports).

I'm even a victim myself.  Just 10 minutes ago I retrieved my mail to discover my tax return which I mailed last OCTOBER was returned to me as undeliverable with no forwarding address available (oh my).  I sent it October 15 and it was postmarked as a return on 28 november, and it was finally delivered today. 

I can't call them to find out what to do about this as all IRS services are unavailable until further notice.  

fucking lovely.

the length of the shutdown does not determine tax refunds, by the way - yes normally people file by April but there can be all kinds of reasons you may not have received a refund for last year yet.  All of that is indefinitely on hold and you simply won't get it til after the gov is open again.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

To what extent are ordinary people affected by the shutdown?

Ordinary federal government civil service employees have had their hard-negotiated 1.9% October pay raise blocked indefinitely and haven't had the benefit that Trumps political appointees to most senior positions have had of having their (2015 bipartisan-agreed) pay freeze expire!!

While federal workers go without pay, senior administration officials poised to get $10,000 raises - U.S. - Stripes

The Department of Defense including the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are funded through 30 Sept 2019 but, as with the examples given above, many of those in lower ranks with less than 6 years service will face difficulty rebalancing their post Christmas budgets until their tax refunds finally come through. Usually service members bank on theirs arriving in Feb or March at the latest.

2B