Only in America...

2,401 posts in this topic

"We had to burn the village in order to save it." --U.S. Marine, 1965, Vietnam

Correction: Lieutenant William Calley was in the Army, an infantryman.

post-85138-13939690468121.jpg

I don't think this is America-wide, but when I was in Iowa and Illinois...the houses don't have fences. Like, you can just walk right into your next door neighbour's and back neighbour's yard. There were no fences, anywhere. I would go for runs, and couldn't tell if I was on public accessible land or running on someone's farm!

And the fact that what looks like pedestrian crossings in NY aren't actually pedestrian crossings...could've got me killed if I didn't watch other people make the mistake before me!

a “study” of “2,392 men and women 18 years of age or older” who were asked to decode some more recent technology terms.

11 per cent thought “HTML” is a sexually-transmitted disease.

Gigabyte being identified as “an insect commonly found in South America” by 27 per cent of respondents

42 per cent saying motherboards are "the deck of a cruise ship"

MP3 is thought to be a cousin of R2D2, after 23% thought the audio file format is a "Star Wars" robot

USB was thought to be shorthand for a European country by 12 per cent of respondents

Blu-Ray was held to be a marine animal by 18 per cent of respondents

software was defined as comfortable clothes by 15 per cent.

only in America

This is from the NY Times, who posted these findings...

'The study was conducted by Vouchercloud.net, a coupons website, as a way to determine how knowledgeable users are when it comes to tech terms.'

Also, a comment on same site...

'You're an idiot if you think that this is reliable. Nobody who took statistics (or even basic math) should believe this. This so called "study" is a survey on a coupon site. It doesn't even start to represent America. This is the result of convenience sampling, which is pretty much the biggest possible mistake you can make in statistics. There's also a huge margin of error, because let's be honest, lots of people are going to pick the funny option on a survey they don't care about.'

Leave it to a UK (or any) publication to not give the whole story...

I had a mind numbing argument with my ex girlfriend down in Brazil a while ago. In fairness my mind might have been numbed because of the quality of the local drugs.

It was the old chestnut: America is a continent not a country. And in principle I call the country USA, but I normally call the people of that country Americans or USAnians to their face if they're Guest* or I'm trying to piss them off which is one and the same thing.

She also objected to my calling USAnians Americans. I pointed out that no South American would ever call themselves American. Non USAnians might call themselves South Americans, or North Americans, or Central Americans. Or Brazilians, or Canadians, or Panamanians.

I then asked her what we should call them: USAnians, citizens of USA, Amcits??? She had no answer while still refusing to give them the word American. Somehow the drugs made the pointlessness of the argument fun.

*It seems so hard to piss Guest off I like the challenge.

Non USAnians might call themselves South Americans, or North Americans, or Central Americans. Or Brazilians, or Canadians, or Panamanians.

Lets be honest, no self-respecting Canadian would call themselves "North American". They might get mistaken as American (as in the country, not the continent).

On the other hand....

Flag jacking is a Canadian slang term used to describe the act of a traveler wearing a foreign flag on their clothing or backpack, in an attempt to disguise the country they are visiting from, primarily in cases where American tourists wear Canadian flags in an attempt to pass as Canadians.

Why are Americans so patriotic at home, but some try to hide their nationality when abroad?

@MaM:

Was she Brazilian? The thing is there are differents models taught, English speaking countries follow the 7 continents model, together with most Europe and China, making it very popular in first world countries, this model separates America in 2 continents. However in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries a 5 continents model is taught, this is the 6 continents model but combining America in one single continent. Then America is splitted in 3 sub-continents (North, Middle and South America).

People born in USA are called "Estadounidenses" in Spanish and "Estadunisence" in Portuguese.

*It seems so hard to piss Guest off I like the challenge.

Oh how wrong you are. Fuck with my food. Nothing gets me to freak out quicker than there being something missing or wrong with the food.

My wife learned a long time ago just to put on her jacket and buy more pickles**, rather than argue with me when I see one pickle floating in the jar. I know I'm being stupid when I do it, but I can't help it.

**that actually happened. We were shopping and I put a jar of pickles in the cart. She took them back out, saying we already have pickles...

is there no US equivalent to Convicts (Australians)?

back on topic, some time ago (it's not there now) I went to a Big Boy fast food place in Baker, CA which had the largest thermometer in the world. I mean, WTF?

From the show "Newsroom", one of my favorite shows currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYjyLg8bbo

and this comment under this video :blink:

Google, Apple, Walmart, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Kraft, McDonalds. The Big Bang Theory, geeze, even this show! All American! The list goes on and on and on. Go anywhere in the world, anywhere, and there's a McDonalds. All reasons why America is still the greatest country in the world. America has alot to be proud. Stop this defeatist attitude!
:lol:

Most German's think this, which is fair, considering "hat" in German is "hut" and the logo has a picture of what looks a lot like a hat.

Oh It's completely fair, I know, but it was completely bewildering to me trying to figure out what she meant, since I started to think there was actually a "Pizza Hat" somewhere in town. Then when I saw the Pizza Hut sign it all came together and I explained to her what a "Hut" was. We had quite a laugh.

Best part of being American is I can say stuff like this:

I'm 1/8th Irish, 1/8th Scottish, and the rest is German and Austrian.

...I especially like saying this because it seems to piss off a lot of Europeans.

My current girlfriend is indeed one of my hands. The other hand if I'm feeling really kinky and not lazy.

My non mythical ex girlfriend was born in Brazil to a Greek father, and Brazilian mother. Portuguese is her mother language. She was of the opinion that "Estadunisence" was a most acceptable word for citizens of the great nation of the US of A.

Although she couldn't come up with a better English translation of "Estadunisence" than American she still refused to consider calling them that.

@Guest I may fuck your wife, bully your children, steal your car, and covet your beer.

But I'd obviously never fuck with your food. I mean I'm not completely unreasonable.