Only in America...

2,401 posts in this topic

Call me cynical, but I fail to see what Americans have to be thankful for...

They have Trump for president

California is ablaze

Florida is sinking

The EPA, as well as saying that climate change is a myth, are promoting fossil fuels in preference to renewables

Lunatics with guns are slaughtering thousands of people every year

Russia is interfering in their politics

Just my two penn'orth :rolleyes:

Well, California is thankful for yesterday's rainstorm.  Today is sunny and bright, and the air is a lot cleaner.

And Trump is no longer polluting our air, whatever his EPA may be doing, because he's back in Florida.  And good riddance.

Sandra Parks, 13, who wrote an award-winning essay on gun violence, was killed after someone fired into her home in Wisconsin.

The girl, who once wrote, “Little children are victims of senseless gun violence,” became a victim of gun violence on Monday night in Milwaukee while sitting in her home with family members. 

story here

On 22.11.2018, 12:46:57, fraufruit said:

I am beyond shocked.

Rest of story here

Even if the specific ban on fgm is unconstitutional - aren´t there other laws applicable e.g. those banning abuse / cruelty / maltreatment?

Federal and state policy[edit]

As of July 2017, 26 states had passed legislation making FGM illegal.[12] Several of these states passed legislation that made it illegal to perform FGM on anyone, while federal law only protects those under 18.[3]

Performing FGM on anyone under the age of 18 became a felony in the United States with the passage of the Female Genital Mutilation Act in 1996.[10] The law was introduced by former congresswoman Pat Schroeder in October 1993.[23][24] The Female Genital Mutilation Act includes education and community outreach programs that provide information about the physical and emotional harm caused by FGM.[10][23][25] In addition to community outreach programs, the U.S. Congress also required the Department of Health and Human services to provide information for medical students about treatment recommendations.[26] Education policy was also included in the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.[27] The IIRARA mandated that visa recipients from 28 high-risk countries receive culturally appropriate information on the personal and legal repercussions of FGM in the United States at or before the time of entry.[27][28] In 2013, Transport for Female Genital Mutilation Act specifically prohibited the practice of "vacation cutting", the transport of a girl outside of the United States with the intention of performing FGM.

Firefighters looking for a fire in a church instead found 100 gaming machines. But the pastor says it's not what you think.

nuff said

Two things strike me:

" alleged colon culprit " :P--luv that!

AND

" It wasn´t clear if Wilson had a lawyer." Who wasn´t it clear to?

Alabama man 'shot in back' by police

A man wrongly killed by police in an Alabama mall was shot three times from behind, an autopsy has revealed.

Emantic Bradford Jr, known as EJ, was shot in the head, neck and hip at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, Alabama.

Police had identified him as the gunman in the shooting of an 18-year-old man and 12-year-old girl last month.

But they later admitted they were mistaken and have since arrested another man.

An inmate who had escaped minutes earlier from a county jail in South Carolina was shot and killed by a woman after he kicked in her back door, the local sheriff said.

The NRA will love this one.

Can't even do dog food right -

Dog owners: You'll want to take note of the FDA's recent update to a dog food recall. Several dog food brands are now included in a recall alert for potentially containing a dangerous amount of vitamin D. While the vitamin is an essential nutrient for dogs, too much of it can cause kidney failure or death. Tests conducted on samples of some of these products show as much as approximately 70 times the intended amount of vitamin D....

I liked this comment -

I guess I'll have to resort to feeding my dog ground beef and romaine lettuce