Only in America...

2,320 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cammiede said:

Interesting. I think it should be included, as it has a higher success rate with guns (65%-99%) than slitting wrists (6%) or drug overdose(6%-12.3%). Meaning that even with suicide there are more deaths due to the accessibility of guns than there would be otherwise. 

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/statistics-most-lethal-methods

I agree.  A gun related death is a gun related death whether it's self inflicted or not.  You could say that people who wanted to commit suicide would have used another method if a gun was not available but you could also say that a murderer would have used another method if a gun was not available.  However, it's a lot easier to commit suicide or murder with a gun.

13 hours ago, LeonG said:

you could also say that a murderer would have used another method if a gun was not available. 

Correct. I've never heard of a bunch of innocent bystanders being killed from a drive by stabbing.

A little late to do the right thing but....

A jury has ordered Aetna to pay more than $25 million to the family of an Oklahoma City woman who died a year after the insurance company refused to cover a type of radiation therapy.

Jurors found that Aetna doctors didn’t spend enough time reviewing Orrana Cunningham’s case before denying her coverage for proton beam therapy in 2014, The Oklahoman reported. The jury ruled that Aetna recklessly disregarded its duty to deal fairly and in good faith with Cunningham, who had nasopharyngeal cancer.

Aetna is considering whether to appeal the ruling, which was issued this week. Company attorney John Shely said the insurer tries to do the right thing.

My local newspaper (Segeberger Zeitung) had this game on the "could you believe this too" page.

Seems I have to believe it as there is a whole site shop full of..., full of..., full of...

words fail me :wacko:

We are pleased to announce the launch of a brand new line of toys: MAGA building blocks! This set comes with more than 100 pieces including President Trump in a MAGA hard hat!

Build the wall LOGO style game

The site is called keep and bear. 

Says it all, doesn't it.:ph34r:

13 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

My local newspaper (Segeberger Zeitung) had this game on the "could you believe this too" page.

Seems I have to believe it as there is a whole site shop full of..., full of..., full of...

words fail me :wacko:

Build the wall LOGO style game

The site is called keep and bear. 

Says it all, doesn't it.:ph34r:

Cute.  They also have an Hillary in orange Lego figurine and a "Trump sends Hillary to prison" set :)

There's no better way to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ than hanging a tacky symbol of hate on your Christmas tree.

Dr1sZDSU8AACYDl.jpg

Hurry while stocks last.

Chicago hospital shooting: Doctor, pharmacist and policeman killed

A doctor, a newly graduated pharmacist and a police officer were killed after a gunman opened fire at a hospital in Chicago, police say.

The gunman was seen arguing with the doctor, Tamara O'Neal, who he had been in a relationship with, before shooting her and turning his gun on others.

The shooter, who has not been named, also died but it is not clear if he was killed by police or took his own life.

Why are all sorts of foods being recalled in the U.S. almost weekly? There's been another advisory from the CDC to throw out all Romaine lettuce again. The last one was a couple of months ago. Culprit - ecoli again. Also, just before Thanksgiving, salmonella outbreaks from turkey. Sometimes it's mean and sometimes it's things like peanut butter. What is or is not going on?

I am beyond shocked.

In a major blow to the federal government, a judge in Detroit has declared America's female genital mutilation law unconstitutional, thereby dismissing the key charges against two Michigan doctors and six others accused of subjecting at least nine minor girls to the cutting procedure in the nation's first FGM case.

The historic case involves minor girls from Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota, including some who cried, screamed and bled during the procedure and one who was given Valium ground in liquid Tylenol to keep her calm, court records show.

The judge's ruling also dismissed charges against three mothers, including two Minnesota women whom prosecutors said tricked their 7 -year-old daughters into thinking they were coming to metro Detroit for a girls' weekend, but instead had their genitals cut at a Livonia clinic as part of a religious procedure.

U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman concluded that "as despicable as this practice may be," Congress did not have the authority to pass the 22-year-old federal law that criminalizes female genital mutilation, and that FGM is for the states to regulate. FGM is banned worldwide and has been outlawed in more than 30 countries, though the U.S. statute had never been tested before this case. 

"As laudable as the prohibition of a particular type of abuse of girls may be ... federalism concerns deprive Congress of the power to enact this statute," Friedman wrote in his 28-page opinion, noting: "Congress overstepped its bounds by legislating to prohibit FGM ... FGM is a 'local criminal activity' which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress." 

Rest of story here

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Why are all sorts of foods being recalled in the U.S. almost weekly? There's been another advisory from the CDC to throw out all Romaine lettuce again. The last one was a couple of months ago. Culprit - ecoli again. Also, just before Thanksgiving, salmonella outbreaks from turkey. Sometimes it's mean and sometimes it's things like peanut butter. What is or is not going on?

I blame Trump, but he'll probably blame Obama :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I am beyond shocked.

Rest of story here

Truly shocking, but is the ruling incorrect? The power has gone more and more away from what is constitutional. Powers were supposed to be with the States first and foremost. 

The same with the presidential powers. I was always taught that the US president‘s only real power was the veto. That has changed more and more over the years, but as far as I know the constitution has not been changed to give the past few presidents this power they now wield. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I am beyond shocked.

Rest of story here

The judge is probably a Trump 'grab 'em by the pussy' supporter, he even looks like the stereotypical pervert :angry: