Only in America...

2,549 posts in this topic

I assume Starscream is refering to this 1 out of 5 in 21 big US cities.

It is also in the link yourkeau provided.

Sad.

Sorry, yeah it's 1 in 5. I just looked it up again. Anyway, that's one reason why they try to prevent homosexual men from donating blood. Like I said, I don't think they actually test your blood every time you donate.

Only in America can you have a fast food restaurant called "Der Wienerschnitzel" that sells hotdogs.

post-155967-13939557117191.jpg

It's not bullshit, it's a lie. You think that we all are so dumb that will not check the facts: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/statistics.html

By combining 2 numbers from the page you're referring to ("About 1.1 million people in the United States were living with HIV at the end of 2010" and "New HIV Infections by transmission category: MSM + MSM+IDU = 66%"), then assuming that the transmission category picture remained roughly the same throughout the years, it can be concluded that somewhere between 700,000 and 800,000 gay men in the US live with HIV.

As of 2010, the US had about 120 mln male residents over the age of 14 (Wikipedia). For the number of gay men, lets use a nice round figure of 5 mln since 4% is an often quoted figure (a complicated question though, see one discussion here as an example). So, the number of HIV-infected gay men comes out to be not 25% but more in the vicinity of 15%, which is still a bit unsettling.

A disclaimer: I'm not anti-gay or pro-gay, I just enjoy numbers, googling, and wasting my time in Internet forums trying hard to sound like a smartass.

Even my staunchly Republican late brother said that 9/11 changed everything over there, and not for the better.

I couldn't agree with him more. ;)

By combining 2 numbers from the page you're referring to ("About 1.1 million people in the United States were living with HIV at the end of 2010" and "New HIV Infections by transmission category: MSM + MSM+IDU = 66%"), then assuming that the transmission category picture remained roughly the same throughout the years, it can be concluded that somewhere between 700,000 and 800,000 gay men in the US live with HIV.

Which roughly coincides with what the CDC says for 2010. 79% of all new HIV cases in males 13 and older were transmitted via gay men. CDC

As of 2010, the US had about 120 mln male residents over the age of 14 (Wikipedia). For the number of gay men, lets use a nice round figure of 5 mln since 4% is an often quoted figure (a complicated question though, see one discussion here as an example). So, the number of HIV-infected gay men comes out to be not 25% but more in the vicinity of 15%, which is still a bit unsettling.

The CDC uses 2% and defines gay men as "men who have sex with other men". All of their statistics reflect this. One could argue that there are gay babies who have been born who havent had sex yet so there numbers are off or whatever but it would be inane to do so.

Excellent find... Kudos. After a few googling I found this Wiki entry that explains the Naming convention. This says

Be arrogant, live arrogant and be ignorant. Cheers!

Why do you call it Hindustan if not everyone there is a Hindu?

Your own petard sir! I have hoisted thee upon it!

It's not bullshit. 1 out of every 4 gay men in the US has HIV. This is according to the Center for Disease Control. Maybe it's different in Canada.

Patient Zero was Canadian.

dessa was so right a few pages back. Instead of a light-hearted, amusing topic we have ended up with a train wreck, a slanging competition, a complete flop of a topic - a flopic®, as it were.

Can we go back to posting things like a tribute to Vallejo (CA)'s very own Joey Chestnut, Hot-Dog Eating Champion of the World?

post-4788-13939616654352.jpg

Wanna be legal owner and king of the United States, delusional cowboy Billy Anthony Jack Barnes who's probably living in that van.

post-14005-13939623194392_thumb.jpg

Guest is just joking

Not really joking. I just decided to see what it would feel like to be republican. It actually feels pretty good to look down on others... :)

Only in America ... well not really, but I found this story interesting:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/03/politics/court-homeschool-asylum/

Bottomless cup a coffee!

Blech!

But I am a fan of bottomless iced tea or lemonade and FREE water when you ask for it.

Also, seriously, free ketchup packets!!!

Only in America: ...do we have a Constitution which prohibits searches and seizures without probable cause and a warrant, a President who swears to uphold this Constitution, and a intelligence agency under this President's control that violates this right in the case of every single resident of the planet. :o

"We had to burn the village in order to save it." --U.S. Marine, 1965, Vietnam

Bottomless cup a coffee!

And bottomless iced tea and lemonade!!

Don't they have hot dog and cake/ pie eating contests in Germany? Or is that Only in America?

It's not just the food portions, everything is bigger in America.

post-33917-13939669780303.jpg

post-33917-13939670219227.jpg

Right now I'm eating an enormous stuffed pork chop, and by GOD it's good. Fock yeah. B)

Also, seriously, free ketchup packets!!!

And tons of free crushed red pepper and parmesan [if you can call it that] packets every time pizza is delivered to your door!

just trying to get this thread back on the 65 m.p.h. interstate :)

@dessa_dangerous post #96:

Why? Because we CAN (and yes, I will leave the ambiguity deliberately there)!